Because and 'cos

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Re: Because and 'cos

Postby Cainntear » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:49 pm

I use it naturally in spoken speech in a lot of contexts. I rarely write it, although when I do it's always "cos" because "cause" is a different word.
0 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:30 pm

That's why the apostrophe is added, if you're going to go for the more "traditional spelling" (i.e. 'cause).
0 x

Dragon27
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)
English - best foreign language
Polish, Spanish - passive advanced
Tatar, German, French, Greek - studying

Postby Dragon27 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:00 pm

I've always thought that "traditional" (or conventional?) shortened form was "cuz" (never seen any other forms).
0 x

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:09 pm

Dragon27 wrote:I've always thought that "traditional" (or conventional?) shortened form was "cuz" (never seen any other forms).

'cause has a history in print, and cos/coz reflect British pronunciation (and also Australian pronunciation apparently, judging by Adrianslont's post in this thread).
1 x

El Forastero
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), French (C1), English (C1), Italian (C1), Portuguese (C1), German (Beginner), Russian (beginner), Wayuunaiki (Beginner)

Postby El Forastero » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:31 pm

Here's my question:

Do you need to pronounce cos / cuz fast enough to sound natural or at least "less uneducated"?

I'm asking that because that's the way abreviations works in spanish, at least inthe accent i speak. I don't like listening people saying cos slowly, but perhaps i'm biased by my spanish.

For example, in spanish it's widely known than you can pronounce para like pa' in informal speech, but if you say pa slowly, it sounds terrible. With a couple of aproximants β - ð that almost dissapear, you can pronounce these sentences very differently if you speak fast enough: - ¿Para dónde vas?

Normal speed: /pa·ra·ðon·de·βas/ 5 syllables
Faster: /'paon·de·as/ 3 syllables.

The ladder can sound natural and accepted in informal context, but only if you speak fast enough (Sometimes I pronounce this way). Otherwise you sounds illiterate, uneducated.
Last edited by El Forastero on Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.
Visit my blog (In spanish)
Visit my youtube channel (In spanish)
: 4 / 10 10 C1 before being 55 years old
Are you looking for an online spanish tutor?

Saim
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Others: Catalan, Serbian, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Urdu, French etc.
Main focus: German

Postby Saim » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:54 pm

El Forastero wrote:Do you need to pronounce cos / cuz fast enough to sound natural or at least "less uneducated"?

I don't think it's an issue of education. 'Cause is an unstressed form, and so it needs to be pronounced unstressed.

I don't get where the idea of 'cause making you sound uneducated comes from other than people confusing writing and speech and not being particularly aware of how they actually speak.
6 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:48 pm

It is interesting to note that “because” is declined from the Middle English “by cause” which itself is derived from the Old French “par cause” for which the operative or recombined word, in all three cases is, “cause” under discussion here. So then, perhaps “coz” is correct! Having thrown in this little morsel simply to distract the reader, I would say my own use of “coz” would be restricted to expressing thoughts such as “cause it just ain’t fair” amongst very good friends whom I am confident would understand the colloquial meaning and the undertones.

Going further, while I appreciate that many language-learners have a profound, genuine, and legitimate desire to emulate “authentic” L2 speech, they might consider asking themselves which model best represents their desired goal. Should one emulate the speech of the 44th President of the United States or the latest, hottest, coolest Hip Hop star? While there is no hard-and-fast answer to this question, my recommendation would be that language-learners acquire a mastery of the of the more “standard” L2 speech and that they pay very careful attention to their adoption and use of colloquialisms, slang, and other forms; context and tone play a very important role in determining what is acceptable in one case and inappropriate in another.

EDITED:
Tinkering.
3 x

Lianne
Green Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N)
Actively studying: French (low int)
Dabbling in: Italian (beginner), ASL (beginner), Ojibwe (beginner), Swahili (beginner)
Wish list: Swedish, Esperanto, Klingon, Brazilian Portuguese
Has also dabbled in: German, Spanish, toki pona
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=12275

Postby Lianne » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:19 pm

El Forastero wrote:Here's my question:

Do you need to pronounce cos / cuz fast enough to sound natural or at least "less uneducated"?

I don't think it has to be fast. As Saim said, it might have to be unstressed. But I can say a sentence slowly and ponderously and still say 'cause. In that way it's like gonna/wanna, which can also be said at any speed. An example where the speed does matter is shortening "and" to "'n". You can say "Netflix 'n chill" but if you stretch it out you can't say "Netflix... 'n... chill". You'd have to say "and". But such is not the case with 'cause, in my opinion.
The ladder can sound natural and accepted in informal context, but only if you speak fast enough (Sometimes I pronounce this way). Otherwise you sounds illiterate, uneducated.

Since your signature says you want corrections: you mean "latter", not "ladder", though they are frequently pronounced the same.
1 x
: 3 / 100 French SC (Books)
: 7 / 100 French SC (Films)
: 0 / 50 Italian Half SC (Books)
: 0 / 50 Italian Half SC (Films)

Pronouns: they/them

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:42 pm

Lianne wrote: ... Since your signature says you want corrections: you mean "latter", not "ladder", though they are frequently pronounced the same.
Not by anyone that I know! ;)
1 x

Lianne
Green Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N)
Actively studying: French (low int)
Dabbling in: Italian (beginner), ASL (beginner), Ojibwe (beginner), Swahili (beginner)
Wish list: Swedish, Esperanto, Klingon, Brazilian Portuguese
Has also dabbled in: German, Spanish, toki pona
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=12275

Postby Lianne » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:08 pm

Speakeasy wrote:
Lianne wrote: ... Since your signature says you want corrections: you mean "latter", not "ladder", though they are frequently pronounced the same.
Not by anyone that I know! ;)

Honestly? That surprises me! It's pretty much the basis of a whole joke in The Santa Clause, where the kid hears "there arose such a clatter" and thinks it's about a "Rose Suchak ladder".

I think the "latter" is pronounced like "ladder" in at least midwestern American and western Canadian accents. Source: the movies, plus my own Manitoban accent. :lol:
0 x
: 3 / 100 French SC (Books)
: 7 / 100 French SC (Films)
: 0 / 50 Italian Half SC (Books)
: 0 / 50 Italian Half SC (Films)

Pronouns: they/them

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”