Because and 'cos

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
MarianoM
White Belt
Languages: Spanish (Native), English (Advanced) German (Beginner)

Because and 'cos

Postby MarianoM » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:49 pm

Hi everybody, I've got a questions for native english speakers, maybe you can help me.

I've heard native speakers abbreviating the word "because" into simply 'cos, but when I used it in my speaking I was told not to do it.

What's your opinion about it? Are there certain situations in which it's acceptable and others where it's not? I really like this expression 'cos ( :D ) I feel it makes my speaking more fluent, but I'm not sure how and when to use it.

Thanks!
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Because and 'cos

Postby rdearman » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:03 pm

MarianoM wrote:Hi everybody, I've got a questions for native english speakers, maybe you can help me.

I've heard native speakers abbreviating the word "because" into simply 'cos, but when I used it in my speaking I was told not to do it.

What's your opinion about it? Are there certain situations in which it's acceptable and others where it's not? I really like this expression 'cos ( :D ) I feel it makes my speaking more fluent, but I'm not sure how and when to use it.

Thanks!

Cos (or cause) is very informal usage and it wouldn't normally be used outside of a group of friends. In some circles it would mark the speaker out as being "uneducated". I'd agree with the people who tell you not to use it.
5 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:06 pm

As a native English-speaker, I don't like to see "because" written as "cos" as I think it shows a lack of care to write standard English. In text messages or informal writing between friends, I get it. All languages have their non-standard text message abbreviations "pq" in Spanish and Portuguese, for example. If a second language speaker wants to be taken seriously, I wouldn't write "cos" for "because" anywhere outside an informal context- even there, it can be judged by others as showing a lack of care for language use and you may get less respect from others for using language in this manner. We're delving into prescriptivsm vs descriptivism here.
3 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:05 pm

I seem to be one of those people that has no regard for what register I'm using and with whom.

So I'll use "'cause" whenever.

It's not that I don't want to speak properly or that I want to disrespect my native language -- I just don't think about formality.

I know the difference between the shortening and the long form, but even in formal situations like an interview or say, where I have to talk to kids and set an example, I still use "'cause." It's odd.

You think it would come naturally to me to switch between the two, but a lot of the time I don't.

Personally, I dislike the spelling OP used because it looks nothing like the word it's derived from. But because it's informal and colloquial, I guess it's free reign on what the word looks like in print :P You can also spell it "'cuz" but that's equally weird (at least to me).
4 x

Lianne
Green Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N)
Actively studying: French (low int)
Dabbling in: Italian (beginner), ASL (beginner), Ojibwe (beginner), Swahili (beginner)
Wish list: Swedish, Esperanto, Klingon, Brazilian Portuguese
Has also dabbled in: German, Spanish, toki pona
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=12275

Postby Lianne » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:15 pm

I disagree that the shortened form makes one sound uneducated. I think I would use it in any spoken context outside of a formal speech. It's in the same sort of grouping as gonna/wanna/coulda/etc. In other words, it's just how people speak at normal speed.

On the other hand, the issue with a non-native speaker could be an unnatural use of it. I know that I don't replace every instance of the word "because" with "cause", but I couldn't tell you why! It's possible that it only works sometimes, depending on context, position in the sentence, etc.

As for writing, I don't think I ever shorten it. I do shorten a lot of things in informal writing, like gonna/wanna. I definitely did shorten "because" to "cuz" a lot when I was a teenager spending hours every day on MSN Messenger. :lol:
4 x
: 3 / 100 French SC (Books)
: 7 / 100 French SC (Films)
: 0 / 50 Italian Half SC (Books)
: 0 / 50 Italian Half SC (Films)

Pronouns: they/them

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:20 pm

Lianne wrote:I disagree that the shortened form makes one sound uneducated.

Yes, this is what I meant by "in certain circles" since it really depends on the context, the people you're with, etc. Better to avoid it if you're not a 100% certain. IMHO
4 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:15 pm

MarianoM wrote:Hi everybody, I've got a questions for native english speakers, maybe you can help me.

Thanks!

I personally don't use it much, but it is quite common.

I just wanted to mention that I hope you're imitating the appropriate short version for the dialect you aim to imitate. "Cos"/"coz" reflects a British pronunciation ([kʰɒz], with the same vowel as "lot"), and "cuz" reflects an American/Canadian pronunciation ([kʰəz]~[kʰʌz], with the same vowel as "undo" or "cut").
2 x

SCMT
Orange Belt
Languages: Engilsh (N)
Spanish (Learning)
French (Beginning)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10551

Postby SCMT » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:13 pm

eido wrote:I seem to be one of those people that has no regard for what register I'm using and with whom.

eido, I'm no linguist, but I don't really see the difference as a register issue, at least as I would understand it in a Romance language, such as using tu or usted in Spanish. In fast, informal, colloquial speech, the first syllable gets slurred or dropped entirely, but the word is still "because." And unlike languages with distinct rules for formal forms, the full word is always correct in English; it is never more formal than appropriate for the situation, even though it is very common for it to be dropped in speech between close friends. I think it should always be written because, and if I were writing dialogue where someone dropped it, I would write, 'cause to indicate the dropped syllable. Cause is, after all, a different word.

iguanamon wrote:As a native English-speaker, I don't like to see "because" written as "cos" as I think it shows a lack of care to write standard English. In text messages or informal writing between friends, I get it.

I agree, although I personally text bc as the short form.
2 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:29 pm

SCMT wrote:eido, I'm no linguist, but I don't really see the difference as a register issue, at least as I would understand it in a Romance language, such as using tu or usted in Spanish.

Well, I still think it belongs in the realm of "informal" because there are certain contexts it just sounds right in, and other places where it sticks out like a sore thumb. So if that's a register issue, I'm not sure, but I will say there's a time and a place for "'cause," just as with every other word in the English language (and others, for that matter).
1 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:23 am

I’m a native speaker of English (Australian) and generally I think I speak and write a little more formally than most people - that may be related to my age (not young). Yet, I use ‘cause.

I use it in very informal conversation and on forums that are relatively informal, including this one! In fact I have used it just this week on this forum. I remembered that because I noticed later that I forgot the apostrophe but I couldn’t be bothered to edit the post just to insert an apostrophe.

Regarding spelling and apostrophes: I use the apostrophe to differentiate from “cause” meaning to make something happen. I don’t use “cos” or “coz” because I generally hate deliberate misspellings - though the level of “hate” is pretty mild.

I wouldn’t use it in the work context or work emails, job applications, academic writing and other formal writing.

Like people have said so far in this thread, context is important.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”