Extensive listening at intermediate level

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Aloyse
Orange Belt
Languages: Fr (N), EN (C1),
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=9983

Extensive listening at intermediate level

Postby Aloyse » Sun May 12, 2019 10:28 am

Do you use extensive listening?
I'm referring to listening to longer segments without pausing the recording to repeat/shadow/look up words/transcribe.
Do you have specific techniques for extensive listening, like listening several times to the same segment, sticking to one topic for several weeks, listening to sequential segments (like chapters of an audiobook) or reviewing previous segments after some time (days or weeks)?

Lately I've been listening to (non sequential, random topics)
- didactic podcasts fully in target language (10 to 20 minutes; 50 to 100% comprehension)
and native speakers radio segments (up to 1h, 10 to 50% comprehension)
- every night before falling asleep, and sometimes also in the mornings or while doing chores.
I can rewind to the start of the mp3 or skip to the next mp3 and that's it.
I only keep 5 "new" mp3s and 5 "previous" mp3s on the player.

At first I though that I would change the mp3s often (every 2-3 days),
and look up several words everyday on my phone and review them during a separate study session,

but recently I've found that I change the mp3s when I get bored with them (usually after a full week) or when I can't stand the topic.
And I don't look up words all that often, only when I really don't understand the topic at all, and I don't review the words.

I'm obviously not expecting drastic progress with this, but I think at the very least it slows down forgetting the language and it can help get used to native speaking speed and possibly accents depending on the mp3s you choose. Some new (or previously learnt but forgotten) vocabulary might also stick, I'm not sure.
I've been thinking about re-listening to older podcasts but so far I haven't done it.

I'm interested in your own experiences with extensive listening, whether as sole practice or as part of a more complete study routine.
1 x

Kubelek
White Belt
Languages: PL (N), EN (C2), FR (C2), ES (C1);
Studying DE, RU, euPT, ελ

Re: Extensive listening at intermediate level

Postby Kubelek » Sun May 12, 2019 11:08 am

I experimented with background audio a few years back when I still had my own room.
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=2

These days I listen to podcasts during my commute, in my weaker languages there might be some vague benefit, like when I recognize a word only known through anki in the wild, but to me where it shines is maintenance of known but unused langages - an occasional podcast or audiobook in Spanish to me makes a difference. I last lived in Spain in 2012 and my active skills have deteriorated but passive understanding is still A-OK. I feel that without that input both might have slipped into oblivion by now.
2 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

Postby Aloyse » Sun May 12, 2019 1:00 pm

@kubelec thanks for the reply and the link

I can relate to what you wrote about going to bed and listening to interesting stuff :D

Some days I have mp3s playing in my earbuds at work but that's not always practical, as my job is more diverse now than when I sat at my desk the whole day. I have many meetings and some days I work in a very noisy place and I can't hear my earbuds unless I really crank the sound up... I don't want to end up deaf :roll:

I'm considering buying a headset with active noise reduction but those are expensive and I'm concerned about compatibility with wearing glasses...
0 x
Future me already did it.

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Sun May 12, 2019 2:55 pm

If you count videos, then that is my primary method of language learning.

I watch TV in the TL without stopping or pausing. At the end of each episode, I go back and rewatch important scenes with English subtitles on to see what I missed and help understand the plot.
2 x

Sayonaroo
Green Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Postby Sayonaroo » Sun May 12, 2019 9:57 pm

I usually stick to listening to stuff I actually have a chance at understanding. For example I listen to south park episodes in latin spanish multiple times after I watch it in English (for some of them I haven't even seen them in years but I still remember the episode fairly well) because I have no desire to watch the show in Spanish. I find the dialogue really engaging compared to listening to 1 person talk because there are strong emotions and back-and-forth retorts and whatnot

Right now I'm learning from shipwrecked sailor by using the english translation, spanish audio, spanish text, and anki ( it's very easy to generate anki cards when you have text files) and I'm gonna re-listen to the audio when I'm done
1 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Sun May 12, 2019 10:32 pm

I guess my listening to Pola Retradio's podcast counts as "extensive listening." I also listen to an Esperanto podcast called Kern Punkto. Only 2-3 episodes a month, but they're all nice and long, in-depth, and worth re-listening to 2-3 times.
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

Postby Aloyse » Mon May 13, 2019 7:20 pm

golyplot wrote:I watch TV in the TL without stopping or pausing. At the end of each episode, I go back and rewatch important scenes with English subtitles on to see what I missed and help understand the plot.

Lately I haven't watched a lot of television in any language... maybe I should find a new interesting drama and watch it :idea:

Sayonaroo wrote:I usually stick to listening to stuff I actually have a chance at understanding. For example I listen to south park episodes in latin spanish multiple times after I watch it in English

Interesting concept. I usually don't do this with Chinese because the cultures are so different, it's difficult to find something that exists in both languages and is still relevant to Chinese culture. But at one time I did watch a Chinese drama with French subtitles (from CCTV-F) and then I would just remove my glasses and rewatch the same episode without being able to read the subtitles ;)

Sayonaroo wrote: Right now I'm learning from shipwrecked sailor by using the english translation, spanish audio, spanish text, and anki ( it's very easy to generate anki cards when you have text files) and I'm gonna re-listen to the audio when I'm done

Also interesting method (although I would not call this extensive listening :) )

IronMike wrote:I guess my listening to Pola Retradio's podcast counts as "extensive listening." I also listen to an Esperanto podcast called Kern Punkto. Only 2-3 episodes a month, but they're all nice and long, in-depth, and worth re-listening to 2-3 times.

Indeed. Do you have a set schedule for these listening sessions?
1 x

Sayonaroo
Green Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Postby Sayonaroo » Mon May 13, 2019 10:21 pm

Aloyse wrote:
Sayonaroo wrote: Right now I'm learning from shipwrecked sailor by using the english translation, spanish audio, spanish text, and anki ( it's very easy to generate anki cards when you have text files) and I'm gonna re-listen to the audio when I'm done

Also interesting method (although I would not call this extensive listening :) )

wouldn't the re-listening be extensive listening? i'm curious how beneficial the re-listening will be after I finish the book

I forgot to mention that I also re-listened to who is she dialogues on lingq for French many times after I went through the dialogue by reading the translation, transcript, and notes. I went through it one sentence at a time by repeating each sentence probably like 10x so I can read the English, compare it to the French, read the notes, try to understand it in French, etc. I liked it a lot because although they're feeding you basics of French, the dialogue is engaging and interesting. I noticed liaisons (when the consonant sound bleeds into the following vowel) more when I re-listened since I only have the audio to rely on. They have it for mandarin as well but not sure how well done it is since I never did it personally.

https://www.lingq.com/en/learn/fr/previ ... ion/20000/
1 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

Postby Aloyse » Tue May 14, 2019 6:58 pm

Sayonaroo wrote:I forgot to mention that I also re-listened to who is she dialogues on lingq for French many times after I went through the dialogue by reading the translation, transcript, and notes.

Thanks for all the details and the link. I've never tried lingq before.
I might try your method when I feel up to it.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”