Multi-lingual webite about Russia -- Can you please rate the language quality?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
rfnsoares
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: Portuguese
B2/C1: English, French, Italian, Spanish and Russian
A2/B1: Romanian, German
A2: Polish, Greek, Hungarian
Dabbling: Croatian, Czech, Swedish, Norwegian, Lithuanian, Finnish, Turkish, Hebrew...

Re: Multi-lingual webite about Russia -- Can you please rate the language quality?

Postby rfnsoares » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:30 pm

aaleks wrote:
rfnsoares wrote:
aaleks wrote:If I may.. I've read the Russian text and I find the wording a bit awkward. For instance, this:

"Марка пригласили в местный языковой клуб: в Нигерии английский язык - один из официальных, и Марк свободно владеет им. В клубе он случайно встретил директора местной школы, и он пригласил его посмотреть, как в России проходят занятия."

I'd rather write the paragraph like this:
"Марка пригласили в местный языковой клуб: английский язык является одним из официальных языков в Нигерии и Марк свободно им владеет. В клубе он познакомился с директором местной школы, и тот пригласил его посмотреть как в России проходят занятия"

It seems a very interesting page for those who are interested in Russian culture and languages... Amazing :)

And thank you, aaleks, for bringing us another way of writing the same text. I think it became more "literary", so to speak.
But, I've got a question... Did you not change the meaning of the sentence? (случайно встретил and познакомился с) :?

In this context it means almost the same -- they met, got become acquainted during that short (?) conversation, the director invited Mark to his school.

I just looked up the English version.
“They invited me to join a seminar because English is an official language in Nigeria.” It was by pure accident that Babatunde met the director of a school in a nearby village. The men talked and the school’s director invited Mark to tour his institution."

I'd translated it like this:

"Они пригласили меня вести семинар, т.к. английский является одним из официальных языков Нигерии." Это было чистой случайностью, что Бабатунде встретил директора школы из ближайшей деревни. Мужчины разговорились и школьный директор пригласил Марка на экскурсию по его учебному заведению"

I translated it as close to the English text as possible. Not exactly the same text as in the Russian version of the site.
The word "познакомиться" fits the context though.

Thank you for the detailed explanation! :)

I skimmed the Portuguese translation and it seemed good to me. I found only a couple of sentences a little bit weird. In general, it is ok.
3 x
100 Russian novels : 33 / 100

Daniel N.
Green Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), English (C1), German (beginner)

Re: Multi-lingual webite about Russia -- Can you please rate the language quality?

Postby Daniel N. » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:52 pm

Croatian articles there are indistinguishable from native articles on various Croatian websites. I think they have a native speaker, although Croatian and Russian are quite closely related...
2 x
Check Easy Croatian (very useful for Bosnian, Montenegrin and Serbian as well)

aszaderyaka
White Belt
Languages: Speak Russian native
Learn English

Postby aszaderyaka » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:25 am

aaleks wrote:
rfnsoares wrote:
aaleks wrote:If I may.. I've read the Russian text and I find the wording a bit awkward. For instance, this:

"Марка пригласили в местный языковой клуб: в Нигерии английский язык - один из официальных, и Марк свободно владеет им. В клубе он случайно встретил директора местной школы, и он пригласил его посмотреть, как в России проходят занятия."

I'd rather write the paragraph like this:
"Марка пригласили в местный языковой клуб: английский язык является одним из официальных языков в Нигерии и Марк свободно им владеет. В клубе он познакомился с директором местной школы, и тот пригласил его посмотреть как в России проходят занятия"

It seems a very interesting page for those who are interested in Russian culture and languages... Amazing :)

And thank you, aaleks, for bringing us another way of writing the same text. I think it became more "literary", so to speak.
But, I've got a question... Did you not change the meaning of the sentence? (случайно встретил and познакомился с) :?

In this context it means almost the same -- they met, got become acquainted during that short (?) conversation, the director invited Mark to his school.

I just looked up the English version.
“They invited me to join a seminar because English is an official language in Nigeria.” It was by pure accident that Babatunde met the director of a school in a nearby village. The men talked and the school’s director invited Mark to tour his institution."

I'd translated it like this:

"Они пригласили меня вести семинар, т.к. английский является одним из официальных языков Нигерии." Это было чистой случайностью, что Бабатунде встретил директора школы из ближайшей деревни. Мужчины разговорились и школьный директор пригласил Марка на экскурсию по его учебному заведению"

I translated it as close to the English text as possible. Not exactly the same text as in the Russian version of the site.
The word "познакомиться" fits the context though.

It's very interesting. Russian and English articles like a two different stories ) They have something in common, but it's like articles from different journalist's.
1 x
I'm from Russia. Do you want to talk with russian man for practice? Great! I'd like practice my English . PM me 8-)

Kat
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (advanced), Dutch (intermediate)

Postby Kat » Sun May 05, 2019 6:24 pm

I haven't been able to follow the forum for a while, so I'd just like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. It's very interesting to read your opinions on the different langugages and your help is very much appreciated.
1 x
Transcription challenge: 1. episode of De Ijzeren Eeuw (The Iron Century)
Minutes: 6 / 43

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”