"once got out it will be catastrophic"

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
learningchayse
Yellow Belt
Languages: Chinese(N), English

"once got out it will be catastrophic"

Postby learningchayse » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:18 am

Does the following setence sound natural? Especially the "once..." part.

It strikes me hard that emotions of all types buried in our subconscious seem to be more intense than we imagine that once got out it will be catastrophic.

Much appreciated.
0 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Re: "once got out it will be catastrophic"

Postby DaveAgain » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:36 am

learningchayse wrote:Does the following sentence sound natural? Especially the "once..." part.

It strikes me hard that emotions of all types buried in our subconscious seem to be more intense than we imagine that once got out it will be catastrophic.

Much appreciated.

1. "strikes me hard" could be rethought. Perhaps just omit the "hard".

2. "...once got out [it] will be catastrophic". Leave out the "it". Perhaps replace "be catastrophic" with "have catastrophic consequences", or "result in [a] catastrophe", or "precipitate catastrophe" etc.
1 x

learningchayse
Yellow Belt

Postby learningchayse » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:48 am

DaveAgain wrote:
learningchayse wrote:Does the following sentence sound natural? Especially the "once..." part.

Much appreciated.

1. "strikes me hard" could be rethought. Perhaps just omit the "hard".

2. "...once got out [it] will be catastrophic". Leave out the "it". Perhaps replace "be catastrophic" with "have catastrophic consequences", or "result in [a] catastrophe", or "precipitate catastrophe" etc.

Thanks!
Rewrite: It strikes me that emotions of all types buried in our subconscious seem to be more intense than we imagine that once got out will result in catastrophe.

Can I also omit "got" or replace it with "leak"/"burst"?
Last edited by learningchayse on Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:59 am

learningchayse wrote:
One more thing, can I also omit "got" or replace it with "leak"?
You could omit "got". To use "leak" I think you would want to rephrase it a little.
0 x

learningchayse
Yellow Belt

Postby learningchayse » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:04 am

DaveAgain wrote:
learningchayse wrote:
One more thing, can I also omit "got" or replace it with "leak"?
You could omit "got". To use "leak" I think you would want to rephrase it a little.

And another simpler one I just came up with is:
It strikes me that emotions of all types buried in my subconscious seem to be more intense than my reality can handle.

Does it sound idiomatic?
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:06 am

learningchayse wrote:It strikes me hard that emotions of all types buried in our subconscious seem to be more intense than we imagine that once got out it will be catastrophic.

another rescue attempt.

It strikes me hard that emotions of all types buried in our subconscious seem to be so much more intense than we imagine that once they get out in the open it will be catastrophic

The sentence is still clumsy, but at least the syntax now should be coherent.
0 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:40 am

I agree. Still clumsy. The “will” in particular does not sit well with me. On the back of Iverson’s suggestion, I suggest this rewording :

It strikes me that emotions of all types buried in our subconscious appear to be so much more intense than we acknowledge/understand/realise, to the extent that were they to enter the conscious mind, the result could be potentially catastrophic.
0 x

learningchayse
Yellow Belt

Postby learningchayse » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:02 pm

Iversen wrote:
learningchayse wrote:It strikes me hard that emotions of all types buried in our subconscious seem to be more intense than we imagine that once got out it will be catastrophic.

another rescue attempt.

It strikes me hard that emotions of all types buried in our subconscious seem to be so much more intense than we imagine [b]that once they get out in the open it will be catastrophic

The sentence is still clumsy, but at least the syntax now should be coherent.

Thanks. Yes, it does feel clumsy and I don't know why!!!! :cry: :evil:
What would you say if you want to express similar idea.

Also, I tried another one in an attempt to avoid the tricky part:
It strikes me that emotions of all types buried in my subconscious seem to be so much more intense than my reality can handle.

How does it sound?
0 x

learningchayse
Yellow Belt

Postby learningchayse » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:08 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:I agree. Still clumsy. The “will” in particular does not sit well with me. On the back of Iverson’s suggestion, I suggest this rewording :

It strikes me that emotions of all types buried in our subconscious appear to be so much more intense than we acknowledge/understand/realise, to the extent that were they to enter the conscious mind, the result could be potentially catastrophic.

Thanks! the "to the extent" part really makes it clearer. But I don't know why it is "were they" not "when they"?
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:26 pm

learningchayse wrote:What would you say if you want to express similar idea.

Maybe a formulation based on a condition would function better - like for instance:

My suspicion is that if all the strong emotions we've got in our subconscious got out into the open (then) all hell would break loose ..
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”