"once got out it will be catastrophic"

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Re: "once got out it will be catastrophic"

Postby Querneus » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:49 pm

This use of subjunctive "were" is not a reversed "if", as PeterMollenburg said, but I would add that yes, "were they to enter" has a very, very similar meaning to "if they were to enter" ~ "if they happened or decided to enter".

By the way, this highly limited pattern also occurs with the pluperfect ("had done"): "if I had talked to him, he would have become my friend" ~ "had I talked to him, he would have become my friend". "Her presentation would have equally shined if it had been delivered in Mandarin, but she did it in English" ~ "Her presentation would have equally shined had it been delivered in Mandarin...". These sentence pairs say the same thing.
1 x

Zegpoddle
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), rusty French and German (formerly B2 in each), Russian (beginner), Mandarin Chinese (A2/HSK3)

Postby Zegpoddle » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:15 pm

learningchayse wrote:Does the following setence sound natural? Especially the "once..." part.

It strikes me hard that emotions of all types buried in our subconscious seem to be more intense than we imagine that once got out it will be catastrophic.

Much appreciated.

It strikes me hard forcefully/powerfully that emotions of all types buried in our subconscious seem to be more intense than we imagine and that once got out, it will they would be catastrophic.
1 x
Graciously begging our alien overlords to remember to refresh the batteries regularly in their toddler’s cosmic Game Boy on which the simulation that is my life is running ;)

learningchayse
Yellow Belt
Languages: Chinese(N), English

Postby learningchayse » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:54 am

Zegpoddle wrote:
learningchayse wrote:Does the following setence sound natural? Especially the "once..." part.

It strikes me hard that emotions of all types buried in our subconscious seem to be more intense than we imagine that once got out it will be catastrophic.

Much appreciated.

It strikes me hard forcefully/powerfully that emotions of all types buried in our subconscious seem to be more intense than we imagine and that once got out, it will they would be catastrophic.

Thanks for the help, Zegpoddle!^ ^
0 x

learningchayse
Yellow Belt
Languages: Chinese(N), English

Postby learningchayse » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:57 am

Ser wrote:This use of subjunctive "were" is not a reversed "if", as PeterMollenburg said, but I would add that yes, "were they to enter" has a very, very similar meaning to "if they were to enter" ~ "if they happened or decided to enter".

By the way, this highly limited pattern also occurs with the pluperfect ("had done"): "if I had talked to him, he would have become my friend" ~ "had I talked to him, he would have become my friend". "Her presentation would have equally shined if it had been delivered in Mandarin, but she did it in English" ~ "Her presentation would have equally shined had it been delivered in Mandarin...". These sentence pairs say the same thing.

Thanks! I'll try to use them.
0 x

Peluche
Orange Belt

Postby Peluche » Mon May 13, 2019 3:15 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:I agree. Still clumsy. The “will” in particular does not sit well with me. On the back of Iverson’s suggestion, I suggest this rewording :

It strikes me that emotions of all types buried in our subconscious appear to be so much more intense than we acknowledge/understand/realise, to the extent that were they to enter the conscious mind, the result could be potentially catastrophic.

Here is the "with" construct I would normally use - is it correct?
It strikes me that emotions of all types buried in our subconscious appear to be so much more intense than we acknowledge/understand/realise, with potentially catastrophic results were they to enter the conscious mind.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”