Expressions to say you admire someone

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Philipp
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N); English (what you see); Spanish, Norwegian, French (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8347

Re: Expressions when admire someone

Postby Philipp » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:58 am

learningchayse wrote:So, yes! Since Elon Musk is the type of guy I want to go out on a date , I think I could say things like "I am mesmerized by his talent." Right?

"To have a crush on someone" is a common expression to express romantical interest.
0 x
Corrections are welcome!

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Expressions to say you admire someone

Postby Iversen » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:04 pm

You don't need to have a crush on Mr. Musk to say "I am mesmerized by his talent." Actually I doubt that you would use the word "talent" if you have romantic ideas about him since his two talents are obviously being inventive at the genius level and knowing how to turn projects into reality (idem). If your plan is to abduct him to have a nice cup of coffee somewhere you would just admit to being mesmerised by him (without further specification).

On the other hand, if you just want to see his latest rocket or selfdriven car then you could say that you admire his talent.
2 x

learningchayse
Yellow Belt
Languages: Chinese(N), English

Re: Expressions to say you admire someone

Postby learningchayse » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:59 pm

Iversen wrote:You don't need to have a crush on Mr. Musk to say "I am mesmerized by his talent." Actually I doubt that you would use the word "talent" if you have romantic ideas about him since his two talents are obviously being inventive at the genius level and knowing how to turn projects into reality (idem). If your plan is to abduct him to have a nice cup of coffee somewhere you would just admit to being mesmerised by him (without further specification).

On the other hand, if you just want to see his latest rocket or selfdriven car then you could say that you admire his talent.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks for giving situations in which they used. Very helpful.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”