Danish courses

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Danish courses

Postby Ccaesar » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:12 pm

Hello everyone!
I am trying to help someone learn Danish who isn't an expert at all the grammatical terms, but good at recognising linguistic patterns and quickly communicating, can any of you recommend a good course for that kind of learner?
0 x
Hiragana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Katakana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Kanji : 50 / 2000
Assimil Japanese with Ease : 27 / 100

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Re: Danish courses

Postby David1917 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:38 pm

Sounds like a textbook Assimil/Linguaphone person - since these courses rely at least partially on the user's ability to parse the language from repeated exposure and minimal notes.

What is the native language? Assimil Danish comes with a French or German base. Linguaphone comes with an English base.
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:44 pm

I support David1917’s recommendations. I have used the Assimil courses for every language that I have studied. Putting aside their well-deserved reputation for providing an excellent series of interesting, challenging, and occasionally amusing dialogues, I would suggest that the student keep a “very basic” grammar of the target language close at hand for the purpose of clarifying the accompanying course notes which, at times, seem to have been written for the benefit of someone who already possesses a solid grasp of the language’s structure.

In addition to the above recommendations, I suggest that you consult the “Danish / Dansk Resources” thread below. Beyond presenting an interesting list of resources, it contains discussions, and links to other discussions, which might be of some interest to you.

Danish / Dansk Resources
https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9252/

Finally, Iversen is the resident expert in the language and, hopefully, he will notice this thread and respond directly to your question. Good luck!

EDITED:
Typos, as usual.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:28 pm

I did notice the thread, and I shall be happy to answer questions about the Danish language and about Danish culture in general - but since I don't need to follow a course in my native language I don't know much about Danish courseware.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”