How do you sync up subs2srs?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
sporedandroid
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (heritage/intermediate), Hebrew (A2-B1)

How do you sync up subs2srs?

Postby sporedandroid » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:07 am

Some dialogue seems to be synced up okay, some of it really isn’t. I used the Hebrew dub for the Peter Rabbit movie, which isn’t extremely interesting anyways. I just found it on YouTube. The program for re-aligning subtitles on subs2srs seems to hate Hebrew. Can I fix it? Do I just manually line it up or is there a better way? Maybe some are badly misaligned because it’s misaligned to begin with and I notice it more on faster dialogue. I plan to use subs2srs for Shtisel. Is there any good source of Hebrew sentence banks with audio? That’s the main reason I’m trying subs2srs.
0 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Re: How do you sync up subs2srs?

Postby Adrianslont » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:27 am

If you are in windows, subtitleedit is a handy free program for working with subs.
1 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:00 am

I ended up using Aegissub to shift and align subs. It is still a tedious and time consuming task. Shtisel is great, good luck with your project.
2 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Doitsujin
Green Belt
Languages: German (N)

Postby Doitsujin » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:35 am

@sporedandroid if you don't want to fiddle with a dedicated subtitle editor, you might find the SubShifter website helpful.
I often use the Linear Correction tool to sync up foreign language subtitles to English subtitles.
1 x

白田龍
Orange Belt
Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, French, Persian, Arabic, Mandarin, Japanese.

Postby 白田龍 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:15 pm

I used aegisub for this. Although it apparently is a lot of work, it did not add a huge amount of time, because I did my first round of studying the movie in Aegisub itself, fixing the lines as I go. The lines that I would not want to review were not fixed, but deleted.

Of course if you have no experience editing subtitles it will take a while for you learn to do it efficiently...
2 x

sporedandroid
Blue Belt

Postby sporedandroid » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:40 am

Adrianslont wrote:If you are in windows, subtitleedit is a handy free program for working with subs.

What does it mean when the subtitles are red like this?
0 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt

Postby Adrianslont » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:24 am

sporedandroid wrote:
Adrianslont wrote:If you are in windows, subtitleedit is a handy free program for working with subs.

Red is a warning of at least four kinds:

1. Your sub is not going to display for a “duration” that is long enough for people to read it easily while watching a show normally
2. Your sub is going to display for a “duration” that is unnecessarily long
3. Your sub is overly long on screen and you should consider breaking it up (into two lines or two subs)
4. Your sub is broken into two lines - you may want to consider making it one line

In the case of your screenshot, your sub is an example of type 1 above - displaying for less than one second (the default duration for marking in red). This is not a problem at all for subs2srs - you only need to make sure you have all of the soundtrack that you need - it doesn’t matter if it’s only really short. It’s only a problem if you are watching the show normally and can’t read quickly.

I mostly ignore the red warnings. The only time I do anything about them is if the sub is broken over two lines - I remove the line break so that it displays over one long line. Again, this is better for subs2srs - one Lon line displays better in your cards (it actually wraps). But one long line is not very readable if reading while watch a show normally.

Subtitleedit just colours the lines that fall outside the default recommendations, it doesn’t actually do anything about them unless you go to the tools menu. I NEVER do that and advise against it as those changes don’t suit Subs2srs.

I love subtitleedit - it solves my subs problems for free and is pretty easy to use - it could do with a manual but is not too hard to figure out.

I have had some issues/bugs lately but have resolved them. I won’t go there because you may not experience them.

One thing I REALLY love about the program is the auto-translate function. It is much easier just to get the target language subs right and then run it thru auto translate to English. The result is a hyper literal translation but plenty good enough for Indonesian or French. On the case of Indonesian it is usually better than the English subs on the dvds. And it translates an entire movie in seconds basically.
1 x

sporedandroid
Blue Belt

Postby sporedandroid » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:51 am

Adrianslont wrote:
sporedandroid wrote:

Red is a warning of at least four kinds:

1. Your sub is not going to display for a “duration” that is long enough for people to read it easily while watching a show normally
2. Your sub is going to display for a “duration” that is unnecessarily long
3. Your sub is overly long on screen and you should consider breaking it up (into two lines or two subs)
4. Your sub is broken into two lines - you may want to consider making it one line

In the case of your screenshot, your sub is an example of type 1 above - displaying for less than one second (the default duration for marking in red). This is not a problem at all for subs2srs - you only need to make sure you have all of the soundtrack that you need - it doesn’t matter if it’s only really short. It’s only a problem if you are watching the show normally and can’t read quickly.

I mostly ignore the red warnings. The only time I do anything about them is if the sub is broken over two lines - I remove the line break so that it displays over one long line. Again, this is better for subs2srs - one Lon line displays better in your cards (it actually wraps). But one long line is not very readable if reading while watch a show normally.

Subtitleedit just colours the lines that fall outside the default recommendations, it doesn’t actually do anything about them unless you go to the tools menu. I NEVER do that and advise against it as those changes don’t suit Subs2srs.

I love subtitleedit - it solves my subs problems for free and is pretty easy to use - it could do with a manual but is not too hard to figure out.

I have had some issues/bugs lately but have resolved them. I won’t go there because you may not experience them.

One thing I REALLY love about the program is the auto-translate function. It is much easier just to get the target language subs right and then run it thru auto translate to English. The result is a hyper literal translation but plenty good enough for Indonesian or French. On the case of Indonesian it is usually better than the English subs on the dvds. And it translates an entire movie in seconds basically.

Thanks. Is there a way to automatically split subtitles whenever there’s a line break? I only want to study one sentence at a time.
0 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt

Postby Adrianslont » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:18 am

To split a sub, select the sub and right click on the waveform. A bunch of options come up including “split sub”. You May have to tweak where it splits the sub in the waveform (by dragging the boundaries) and tweak the words in each sub.

Right clicking also gives two other useful options including “merge with next sub” and “merge with previous”. Those are handy want to combine very short subs.
0 x

sporedandroid
Blue Belt

Postby sporedandroid » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:02 am

How do you merge subtitles when you’re in translator mode? It does a lot of weird things when it’s in translator mode.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”