learn the language as it was intended (detailed explanation)

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Re: learn the language as it was intended (detailed explanation)

Postby kanewai » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:33 pm

I'm a bit torn between wanting to welcome new voices and wanting to protect the forum from nonsense like About 3 years has passed and now I have a C2 level and am 100% fluent in the language including understanding all accents and slang.
6 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:40 am

zackstone98 wrote:And finally, IF you are struggling in school don't waste all your energy on trying to understand what your teacher is going through on the board, most of the time the grammar will be too complicated so just keep LISTENING to your playlist and LEARNING to PRONOUNCE the lyrics.  Pay attention when your teacher goes through something that catches your eye.  Use them when you need/want to.  for an extra edge ALWAYS speak the language you are studying with your teacher, only resort to your mother tongue when absolutely necessary. 

Welcome to the boards zackstone98.

This is made me chortle out loud. I'm not sure where you go to school but my daughters are definitely not allowed to listen to music in class. Imagine that.

Good luck with your language studies.
3 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:32 am

Hi, I'm a huge fan of using music in language learning. I've also passed C1 in Finnish.

I've definitely listened to L2 music in class, but I had to make sure i had black earphones (and black cords) that weren't noticeable in my hair :lol:
And I've only done that in non-language classes. Well, that's better than texting in L1, but I still think it's better to actually pay some attention. If the class is too easy, ask for extra assignments. If it's too hard, try not to fall behind and ask as many questions as you can. Seek out explanations from a different source. If you use words or expressions that weren't covered in class, the teacher will know you're trying hard. (just don't quiz the teacher on random words you picked from the dictionary)

Or better yet, don't sign up for a class if you already have a routine that works for you. I spent a few years thinking I would eventually take a Finnish class, but when I looked at the curriculum online, it seemed pointless to me.

BTW, we have this wikia page about using music.

Mod note: please use the BB tags instead of caps lock. I've replaced it with bold, but you can use italics too (and colours, but then don't overdo it). I definitely think the formatting made the original post hard to read.
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Bex
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 77#p157977

Postby Bex » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:30 am

Cainntear wrote:But I was offended, and don't I have a right to be offended? And when I'm offended, can I not express that?
Yes you can of course express whatever you like.

I was just expressing what the consequence of such responses would have been for me.
4 x
Kwiziq
A0: 100 / 100
A1: 100 / 100
A2: 100 / 100
B1: 91 / 100
B2: 53 / 100

MacGyver
Yellow Belt
Languages: .

Postby MacGyver » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:24 am

zackstone98 wrote:About 3 years has passed and now I have a C2 level and am 100% fluent in the language including understanding all accents and slang.

That's pretty amazing. I don't think I can understand all accents and slang in English let alone any foreign tongues. :roll:
9 x

Daniel N.
Green Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), English (C1), German (beginner)

Postby Daniel N. » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:59 pm

The problem is: chidren are surrounded by the language they're learning for years, 365/7/24. Others adjust their output so that the child can understand them

Most adults learn the language one or two hours a day, maybe even less, and are surrounded by another language.

And some adults learn in 3 years what takes 10 for children.

You need grammar, grammar is a shortcut to learn things faster.
5 x
Check Easy Croatian (very useful for Bosnian, Montenegrin and Serbian as well)

Beli Tsar
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Ancient Greek (intermediate reading), Latin (Beginner) Farsi (Beginner), Biblical Hebrew (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9548

Postby Beli Tsar » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:36 am

Daniel N. wrote:The problem is: children are surrounded by the language they're learning for years, 365/7/24. Others adjust their output so that the child can understand them

Most adults learn the language one or two hours a day, maybe even less, and are surrounded by another language.

And some adults learn in 3 years what takes 10 for children.

You need grammar, grammar is a shortcut to learn things faster.

And reading makes things easier for kids too.

My son's got exceptionally good speaking abilities for his age, but also a lot of (fossilised? Can I use that word here?) errors of pronunciation as well as grammar. They are pretty much impervious to correction -especially as he often can't hear the differences. A lot of them are similar to errors a foreign speaker might make.

But he's also learning to read right now, and it's fascinating watching that straighten out his speaking. He's learning to distinguish v & f (and th), he's discovering all the little errors (remember instead of u-rember). Reading and speech really do have a strong mutually beneficial interaction.

There's a reason both reading and being read to are strong predictors of children's capacity as speakers.

Reading really is a powerful tool. And its interactions with speech are really rather deep and complex.
6 x
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin Reading
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin 'Films'

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:27 pm

Let's not forget that the small children learning their native languages are also much more motivated. Few adults are in the situation "learn a new language or die". That's what the kids are naturally experiencing. Just watch a few kids, frustrated that someone cannot understand them. They don't have another language to fall back to, and they cannot employ an interpreter. They cannot just stay in the land of their fellow native speakers of "Baby Babbling".
4 x

Beli Tsar
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Ancient Greek (intermediate reading), Latin (Beginner) Farsi (Beginner), Biblical Hebrew (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9548

Postby Beli Tsar » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:10 pm

Cavesa wrote: Just watch a few kids, frustrated that someone cannot understand them. They don't have another language to fall back to, and they cannot employ an interpreter.

Absolutely! The reason the 'terrible twos'are so awful is because kids know by that point what they want to express, but can't express it... At all. That's also why kids who speak early can find that period easier.

I'm glad that after learning a language for two years I am still unlikely to often experience the kind of frustration that makes me lie down on the floor screaming and kicking anyone who tries to calm me down.
5 x
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin Reading
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin 'Films'

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”