How to practice French while traveling?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
javier_getafe
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2). In the way to get C1 certificate this year 2022. Wish me luck ;)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10163

Re: How to practice French while traveling?

Postby javier_getafe » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:05 am

rdearman wrote:I am using my phone so copying URLs can be painful. But I did write a blog post about crazy secret missions you can use to force yourself to speak the language.

http://rdearman.org/blog.html#org077d3a5

I love your "Crazy Missions". It is something that I want to try next time when travelling abroad.
0 x

Jean-Luc
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N), English & German (C), Italian & Spanish (B), Russian, Chinese, Croatian (A)

Postby Jean-Luc » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:41 pm

Meet people using apps like Meet-up and attend gatherings
https://www.meetup.com/fr-FR/topics/french/
0 x

stelingo
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1), Spanish (C1), Portuguese (C1), Italian (B2), German (High B1), Russian (B1), Czech (B1), Dutch (passive B1), Catalan (passive B1), Mandarin (A2), Polish (A2), Japanese (A2), Modern Standard Arabic (A1), Egyptian Arabic (A1), Turkish (Beginner) Thai (beginner). Korean (Beginner) Dabbled in Swedish, Norwegian, Slovak, Ukrainian, Romanian, Vietnamese

Postby stelingo » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:34 pm

Commit a crime, preferably something not too serious. You will then have ample opportunity to practise your French as you work your work through the French legal system. Jail time will offer an excellent immersion experience.
2 x
Kolik jazyků znáš, tolikrát jsi člověkem.

javier_getafe
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2). In the way to get C1 certificate this year 2022. Wish me luck ;)

Postby javier_getafe » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:29 pm

stelingo wrote:Commit a crime, preferably something not too serious. You will then have ample opportunity to practise your French as you work your work through the French legal system. Jail time will offer an excellent immersion experience.

What!!!!! :lol: :lol:
Doing time in Jail is not the best way to learn a language, above all if you are learning arabic or something like that. :lol:
0 x

stelingo
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1), Spanish (C1), Portuguese (C1), Italian (B2), German (High B1), Russian (B1), Czech (B1), Dutch (passive B1), Catalan (passive B1), Mandarin (A2), Polish (A2), Japanese (A2), Modern Standard Arabic (A1), Egyptian Arabic (A1), Turkish (Beginner) Thai (beginner). Korean (Beginner) Dabbled in Swedish, Norwegian, Slovak, Ukrainian, Romanian, Vietnamese

Postby stelingo » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:27 pm

javier_getafe wrote:
stelingo wrote:Commit a crime, preferably something not too serious. You will then have ample opportunity to practise your French as you work your work through the French legal system. Jail time will offer an excellent immersion experience.

Doing time in Jail is not the best way to learn a language, above all if you are learning arabic or something like that. :lol:

Are you speaking from personal experience? :shock: :D
1 x
Kolik jazyků znáš, tolikrát jsi člověkem.

javier_getafe
Orange Belt

Postby javier_getafe » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:30 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x

philomath
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native), Spanish (Intermediate/Advanced), French (Intermediate/Advanced), German (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 13#p235313

Postby philomath » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:09 pm

DaveAgain wrote:The guided tours around museums and churches often have different language options. You can choose the french option there to place yourself within a french speaking group.

I second this! Also maybe you can find a walking tour for French-speaking tourists? When I went to Madrid I found a couple of free walking tours, and both of them had English and Spanish options. I chose to go on the tour for Spanish speakers and it was great! I just explained to the tour guides that I was learning Spanish, and they were really nice about it. It was great practice talking to them during the tour. Also, these tour groups were generally smaller because there were less Spanish-speaking tourists compared to English-speaking tourists, so it was a nicer tour because of that. :)
5 x

FyrsteSumarenINoreg
Yellow Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), proficient in Brazilian Portuguese, fluent in English (C1 IELTS band 8.0), conversant in Italian and Spanish, learning Norwegian Nynorsk, Bengali & Malayalam

Postby FyrsteSumarenINoreg » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:06 pm

Go on a date. :D
1 x

realjack
Languages: English (N), French (B1)

Postby realjack » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:41 am

Join the gilets jaunes ! Any car driver will lend you one to wear to that party. No invitation required, guaranteed fun, French overload.
0 x

Beli Tsar
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Ancient Greek (intermediate reading), Latin (Beginner) Farsi (Beginner), Biblical Hebrew (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9548

Postby Beli Tsar » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:11 pm

stelingo wrote:
javier_getafe wrote:

Are you speaking from personal experience? :shock: :D

While I don't have personal experience, I do know a few people who demonstrate that it is an excellent - possibly unparalleled - way to pick up a remarkably genuine native accent, with a marvellous grasp of contemporary colloquialisms. You will learn (naughty) words you just couldn't find anywhere else as a language learner.
0 x
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin Reading
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin 'Films'

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”