"How to" video to learn any language

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
CardiffGiant
Yellow Belt
Languages: Italian(B2), English (N), Spanish(beg)

"How to" video to learn any language

Postby CardiffGiant » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:23 pm

Davide Gemello is a really bright guy who has learned several languages and seems to have a grasp on many of the concepts that are discussed here regarding how to learn a language. He is the creator of podcast italiano, which is an excellent resource for learning italian.I found this video(in English) to be interesting and informative and I thought it might be helpful to others. There are certainly some debatable points in the video(eg learning two languages at once, when to start speaking) but it is a pretty comprehensive roadmap IMO.

For those that do watch the video and have extensive language learning experience, what do you think should have been emphasized more, or less, in your experience in this instructional overview? Is there something that you would add that was not addressed?

Hope this helps

3 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Re: "How to" video to learn any language

Postby StringerBell » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:38 am

CardiffGiant wrote:Davide Gemello is a really bright guy who has learned several languages and seems to have a grasp on many of the concepts that are discussed here regarding how to learn a language. He is the creator of podcast italiano, which is an excellent resource for learning italian.

Just wanted to say that I love Davide Gemello; Podcast Italiano is my favorite podcast. He also teaches on iTalkie, and is a really approachable and humble guy. I didn't watch the whole video, but I watched half and it was filled with lots of great advice. Thanks for posting this video!
1 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:44 pm

50 minutes, really? At that sort of length, I'd be expecting a fully-scripted documentary, not an extended improvised talk to camera.
2 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:50 pm

Cainntear wrote:50 minutes, really? At that sort of length, I'd be expecting a fully-scripted documentary, not an extended improvised talk to camera.

I'm sure if it were fully scripted, you'd criticize it for not being improvised.
3 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:55 pm

StringerBell wrote:
Cainntear wrote:50 minutes, really? At that sort of length, I'd be expecting a fully-scripted documentary, not an extended improvised talk to camera.

I'm sure if it were fully scripted, you'd criticize it for not being improvised.

You’re dead wrong on that. I’m not contrarian, just opinionated.

And it’s a firm opinion of mine that if you’re going to expect someone to listen to you for more than a couple of minutes, you’d really better have planned what you’re going to say.

Chatty tone is all well and good, but a chat is a two-way medium, and Facebook YouTube isn’t.

Edit: for ethanol-induced brain fart.
2 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”