a english grammar question

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
julio
White Belt
Languages: chinese(N),
japanese(beginer),

a english grammar question

Postby julio » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:06 pm

Derek is very modest for someone who is so rich.
in this sentence.does "someone" means Derek,or "someone" refers other people?
is this mean Derek is rich and modest
or is this mean Derek is modest when he meet someon rich.
--- thank you very much.
0 x

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Re: a english grammar question

Postby aaleks » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:28 pm

Yes, it means Derek is rich and modest. He is very modest for a rich person. "Someone" refers to rich people in general, sort of.
1 x

Lianne
Green Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N)
Actively studying: French (low int)
Dabbling in: Italian (beginner), ASL (beginner), Ojibwe (beginner), Swahili (beginner)
Wish list: Swedish, Esperanto, Klingon, Brazilian Portuguese
Has also dabbled in: German, Spanish, toki pona
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=12275

Postby Lianne » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:45 pm

It means that rich people are often not modest, but even though Derek is rich, he is also modest.

When an adjective is followed by "for a (something)" like this, it is a way of qualifying the adjective. For example, I might say "My niece is very tall for a 4-year-old." She isn't really very tall (she is much shorter than me), but relative to other 4-year-olds she is tall.
4 x
: 3 / 100 French SC (Books)
: 7 / 100 French SC (Films)
: 0 / 50 Italian Half SC (Books)
: 0 / 50 Italian Half SC (Films)

Pronouns: they/them

julio
White Belt
Languages: chinese(N),
japanese(beginer),

Postby julio » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:01 pm

aaleks wrote:Yes, it means Derek is rich and modest. He is very modest for a rich person. "Someone" refers to rich people in general, sort of.

0 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:54 pm

aaleks wrote:Yes, it means Derek is rich and modest. He is very modest for a rich person. "Someone" refers to rich people in general, sort of.

I thought the "someone" was referring back to Derek himself. Am I wrong? My own language confuses me.
0 x

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:11 pm

eido wrote:

I thought the "someone" was referring back to Derek himself. Am I wrong? My own language confuses me.

eido, you are a native speaker, not me :) . Actually I was going to write that "someone" was referring to Derek but I wasn't sure about that. I mean to me "someone who is so rich" means "one of rich people" or something like that.
0 x

Lianne
Green Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N)
Actively studying: French (low int)
Dabbling in: Italian (beginner), ASL (beginner), Ojibwe (beginner), Swahili (beginner)
Wish list: Swedish, Esperanto, Klingon, Brazilian Portuguese
Has also dabbled in: German, Spanish, toki pona
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=12275

Postby Lianne » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:16 pm

eido wrote:

Haha yeah English is weird. :lol:

Umm, this is a tough call. I would say that the "someone" here is more general. This is a bit clearer when looking at other examples of this construction. Like in the example I used above, "My niece is very tall for a 4-year-old." Like, she IS a 4-year-old, but also this is comparing her to the larger population of 4-year-olds. :D (Gosh, native speakers are so frustrating lol. I barely know what I'm saying.)
5 x
: 3 / 100 French SC (Books)
: 7 / 100 French SC (Films)
: 0 / 50 Italian Half SC (Books)
: 0 / 50 Italian Half SC (Films)

Pronouns: they/them

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Re: An English grammar question

Postby reineke » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:37 pm

---
Last edited by reineke on Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

WildGinger10
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2 - active study), Russian (A1 - dabbling), French (A2ish - hibernating)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 89#p128527

Postby WildGinger10 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:55 am

[I've removed my previous comment as I was misremembering the original text, and made an analysis that doesn't quite work with the actual text.]
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:28 pm

aaleks wrote:Actually I was going to write that "someone" was referring to Derek but I wasn't sure about that. I mean to me "someone who is so rich" means "one of rich people" or something like that.

It is actually a good question. My feeling is that "someone who is so rich" refers to any member of an abstract class of persons, and since Derek just is one of those persons you can't say that "someone" refers directly back to him. On the other hand he is the the only member of that class who is under consideration so in in a purely practical way you could identify Derek as the one who is referred to by that word.

In practice it doesn't mean a great deal since the construction has become not only automatized, but also quite common so everybody knows how to use it even though they can't analyze it.

It reminds me of other cases where you speak in general about someone who is or does something, but no one is in doubt about whom you refer to .. though in some cases you actually mean that the person in question isn't a member of the abstract class under consideration - like in "Some people know how to say things in a nice way". Do you feel you are one of them or not? Probably not, because otherwise there wouldn't be a need to bring up the topic...
3 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”