Learning Two Languages at Once

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Hankster1995
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner), Dutch (beginner)

Learning Two Languages at Once

Postby Hankster1995 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:43 pm

Hello all!

I was wondering if anyone here has experience learning two languages at once. Part of my problem is I was already working on Dutch before I had to take Spanish for school, but I didn't want to quit Dutch. While I mostly stopped with Dutch for a few months, I am now picking it back up again so I don't lose the progress I had initially made.

So my main question is: Is it possible to learn two languages simultaneously? What are some good strategies? I'm in no hurry to finish either language, I just don't want to lose the progress I've made in either one to advance the other unless I absolutely have no choice.
1 x

Speakeasy

Re: Learning Two Languages at Once

Postby Speakeasy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:21 pm

This question crops up from time-to-time. Generally speaking, those having attempted to learn two or more languages at once -- most particularly in a self-instruction environment -- advise against this practice. While notionally, there should be no reason why one cannot study two languages simultaneously, there are real-world, practical limitations on the time available for sufficient study. Typically, projects of this type result in an unequal apportioning of one’s time (one language will be simply more favoured than the other and one will seem more difficult than the other) which means that one of them will lag behind the other. Efforts at catching up on the one will rob study time from the other. While these types of projects seem quite stimulating at the outset, the lack of sufficient time to follow through on both projects often means that one of the languages will suffer to the point of complete abandonment (followed by subsequent futile rekindling of the project). Often, one is left with the discouraging knowledge that one has wasted valuable time that could have been better used studying the other. By the way, I am speaking from personal experience! Here are two recent discussions:

Learning 2 languages - LLORG - August 2018
https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8817

An attempt to learn two languages simultaneously - LLORG - September 2018
https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9048

Consolation: If it might be of any consolation, you might wish to know that I am presently trying to revive my Russian and Spanish and I have just started studying Swedish, a tri-lingual project which has left all three in a state of distress. The cherry on the sundae is that the only language that I deeply care about, German, has suffered an orphan’s fate!

EDITED:
Consolation
6 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Postby Cèid Donn » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:43 pm

In your particular circumstances, I would suggest that since you are learning Spanish for school that you prioritize Spanish for now. Here's some great news, though: in studying any language, you learn skills that will help you learn others. You will become more aware of how languages work, like with grammar and syntax and phonology, and what it takes to progress in a language.

With Dutch, I don't think you should quit it entirely, but rather try to set aside a couple times during your week where you can study it, or in the very least, review what you have previously learned. Just be sure you are giving yourself enough time to work on your Spanish, since you are doing it for school and that really should be your priority for now.

I cannot emphasize enough the importance of setting a regular time for studying your languages, and most importantly, sticking to it if you really do not want to give up Dutch. It will take some degree of self-discipline, but trust me. I had to do this with 3 languages once--Latin, Ancient Greek and Biblical Hebrew. I needed all 3 for my grad program, even though I was only getting a grade for one (Hebrew). So I know it can be done, but I was only able to do it be sticking to a very regular schedule.
3 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

trui
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: English
Good enough: Dutch
Not there yet: German
Just starting: French
We'll see?: Russian
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 3&start=10

Postby trui » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:52 pm

It depends entirely on the person, but usually focusing on one is best, at least at the start. It all has to do with motivation and knowing yourself. Will Dutch take away from your Spanish time? Then know that you'll progress slower in Spanish as a result. Are you studying Spanish for a couple hours and then watching YouTube videos or whatever because you have no motivation to study more? Then you can study Dutch in the time you would be just doing random stuff without hurting your Spanish at all.

I've started German because while at first, I was motivated to study Dutch for hours on end, that's no longer the case. Learning German has rekindled my love for Dutch and has got me learning a new language at times where I'd otherwise just be messing about online. So learning two languages can be a positive thing for some, even when you're just starting. I've been learning Dutch for a few years already-- I certainly wouldn't recommend learning German and Dutch at the same time from the start!-- but Spanish and Dutch aren't closely related so it'll be fine with regards to that aspect.

Whatever you choose, veel succes!
1 x
All comments and corrections welcome.

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:34 am

0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:53 pm

Hankster1995 wrote:So my main question is: Is it possible to learn two languages simultaneously? What are some good strategies? I'm in no hurry to finish either language, I just don't want to lose the progress I've made in either one to advance the other unless I absolutely have no choice.

Yes, of course it is possible. Many, many, many people do it. Will you succeed depends on how much time and work you can really dedicate to each. It is usually a bad idea for someone who is monolingual and has not yet learned a second language to at least an intermediate level. And it is usually more effective (AKA "a good strategy") to focus on one get to a good level and then add back the other.

Doing too little of either is just spinning your wheels. I'm an expert at that!
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Perchta
White Belt
Languages: Czech (N), French (C1), English (B2), German (B1), Dutch (B1), Hungarian (A1), Hebrew (just began learning)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13798

Postby Perchta » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:11 pm

Some years ago, I tried to learn several languages at once and eventually, I’ve learnt almost nothing.

Now I learn new language only after I’ve reached some level in the previous ones. I make a sufficient vocabulary and grammar basis for reading simple texts or watch simple videos. First of all, I have some idea how the language works, so I won’t mix several languages. Another reason: I will be able at least to maintain my current language level by reading or watching, i.e. activities one normally does.

If I were you, I would concentrate on Spanish (as it is your mandatory subject at school). To maintain your level in Dutch, I would find some way to practice it every day. I would find some texts or videos on your level, preferable on a topic you like, and/or some web site with short online Dutch exercises. The aim is to do anything every day that won’t take too much time (so you’ll really do it every day), but will maintain your current level or even make a progress.
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:31 pm

It's normal to be learning two languages. It is also normal to be learning one for school and another outside of it completely. The anglophones are not used to this, but they are rather the exception than the norm.

The main catch is the amount of free time and having realistic expectations.

The more time you put into each, the better you'll get. If you put more time in one and less in the other, you will progress in the first much faster than in the second. If you put too little time and effort in both, you will fail just the same as if you were "learning" and not putting the time in one or ten, there is no difference.

If you accept this and act accordingly, you're gonna do just fine.

If you will put in some time every week, than at least maintenance and sloooow progress are definitely realistic in both languages, and you'll have a much better starting position for holidays, when you might want to make a much more intensive progress.
3 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:45 pm

@Hankster1995, as your dual-language project involves maintaining, and possibly continuing to progress in, Dutch, whilst launching a separate programme for the study of Spanish, you might wish to consider the L2/L3 approach. There is a consensus that, for this combination to work without provoking undue levels of confusion and stress, one should be at the CEFR B2 level in the L2. Nevertheless, some people manage to pull this off (with a lot of extra work) in cases where their L2 is at a lower level. To “force” the L2/L3 combination, you could work from a Dutch/Spanish grammar and dictionary and begin your studies with Assimil Spaans (which has two levels, plus a workbook) or some similar course. Here are a couple links:

Assimil.com - Spanish from a Dutch base
http://fr.assimil.com/methodes?base_language=9&learn_language=2&level=

Amazon.nl - Spaans
https://www.amazon.nl/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?__mk_nl_NL=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Spaans

Abebooks.com - Spaans
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?bx=off&cm_sp=SearchF-_-Advtab2-_-Results&ds=50&recentlyadded=all&sortby=7&sts=t&tn=Spaans

EDITED:
Addition of AbeBooks
Additional comments on Assimil Spaans
And, as usual, typos
0 x

Purangi
Orange Belt
Languages: French, English, Mandarin, Russian, Spanish

Postby Purangi » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:11 am

Without diverting too much from the original question, I wonder if there is an optimal way of going about learning two languages in terms of time allocation?

Do you do a little of each TL everyday, or do you dedicate one day to X, one day to Y, and then back to X, etc.?

I am used to spend one hour on each of my language every day, but I am starting to reconsider.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”