Any UK amazing serie?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Any UK amazing serie?

Postby Cavesa » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:04 pm

Sherlock and Doctor Who have been mentioned many times already.

But nobody else loves Neverwhere? It's based on Neil Gaiman's book and I think the adaptation is really good.
0 x

Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Postby Stefan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:18 pm

Cavesa wrote:But nobody else loves Neverwhere? It's based on Neil Gaiman's book and I think the adaptation is really good.

Hate to be that guy but it's the other way around. According to the introduction, the TV series didn't live up to the story in his mind and that's why he decided to write the book. Personally I enjoyed the book and barely remember seeing the TV series but didn't it come across a bit low budget?
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:35 pm

Stefan wrote:
Cavesa wrote:But nobody else loves Neverwhere? It's based on Neil Gaiman's book and I think the adaptation is really good.

Hate to be that guy but it's the other way around. According to the introduction, the TV series didn't live up to the story in his mind and that's why he decided to write the book. Personally I enjoyed the book and barely remember seeing the TV series but didn't it come across a bit low budget?

If the author isn't happy with the adaption, it is definitely not the best result. As a fan, I enjoyed both the book and the tv series, each a bit differently. In general, I tend to have low expectations from the adaptations, but this one was very enjoyable and above the expectations for me.

Low budget doesn't necessarily mean bad. Of course it is obvious, that this is low budget, but I don't think it is making the show any worse.
0 x

javier_getafe
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2). In the way to get C1 certificate this year 2022. Wish me luck ;)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10163

Postby javier_getafe » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:14 pm

And the winer is... Happy Valley.

I 've just fininshed the first episode minutes ago. And... I can only say that it enganged me since the first very moment.
I've got new series for the next month. :D :D
0 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Postby Xmmm » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:14 am

I can't watch too much British TV. For some reason Netflix doesn't usually dub it into Italian or Turkish.

But Bodyguard was available in Italian, and I liked it. It was edgy and moody and had a few surprises. Short, though. Miniseries.

Original Dr. Who is way better than new Dr. Who, particularly the first three Tom Baker years when Dr. Who went 'gothic'. DVDs may be available for these classics:

Pyramids of Mars -- "I bring Sutekh's gift of death."
The Seeds of Doom -- "It was a Daimler car boot" "The car is immaterial"
Terror of the Zygons -- "When the mist came down on the moor ..."
Genesis of the Daleks -- "I'd rather die taking a chance like that than sit around here rotting away from dystronic toxemia."

Also if you go way back Patrick Troughton is good, although a lot of his episodes were erased by the BBC so they could re-use the videotape. There's a DVD "The Invasion" -- eight parts about the Cybermen, with two episodes reconstructed from scripts in animated form -- quite interesting and a labor of love.

Also, what about The Prisoner, Danger Man, and The Avengers (Patrick Macnee and Diana Rigg)? All great stuff ...
2 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

javier_getafe
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2). In the way to get C1 certificate this year 2022. Wish me luck ;)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10163

Postby javier_getafe » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:21 pm

Happy Valley

Season 1, episode 4 finished :o :o :o :o
I can believe it, It is like drug, I am completely mad about it, I cand wait to see the next episode.
I don't have enought words, I am holding my breath and look forward to watching the next one.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”