Any UK amazing serie?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
javier_getafe
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2). In the way to get C1 certificate this year 2022. Wish me luck ;)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10163

Any UK amazing serie?

Postby javier_getafe » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:43 am

I'm entirely devoted to my SC'19. And for the last weeks I was watching a remarkable English serie, Broadchurch. Alec and Elli Miller have caught me during 3 whole seasons. I couldn't barely leave the sofa in the nights to go to bed. I felt this feeling that is really tought to explain, as special link with both of them. I can't spoiler to anyone but from the tragic death of the little kid until the end of the second season didn't find the time to get at home :lol:

At the end of the year I was searching for an english serie (from UK) because I was sick and tyred of american accent, the series I have been watching from USA were tremendous, True Detective, Modern Family, The Big Bang Theory, Fargo, Big Little lies, in essence the quality was not the problem. The drawback was that I realized that I wasn't listening Uk accent whatsoever and I noted that I had problems even in the most elementary pot-cast about daily news, for instance. So, I began to surfer on the net in order to get a britain serie and I met Broadchurch, which I have been fascinating about.

Now that I am ending up the serie it feels like a hole in my heart :? and I strongly need to fill this hole with another stunning britain serie.

Any recommendation (I'd rather modern series)?
Thanks a ton!
Last edited by javier_getafe on Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Re: Any UK amazing serie?

Postby DaveAgain » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:55 am

An old one that I liked was 'Cracker', with Robbie Coltrane in the lead role. (He's attached to the police 'profiling' the suspect.)

'This Life' - group of newly qualified lawyers sharing a house.
Red Dwarf - Sci-Fi comedy.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:28 pm

Doctor Who
Only Fools and Horses
A Touch of Frost
Jonathan Creek
Time Team
Have I Got News for You
Red Dwarf
EastEnders
The Bodyguard
Downton Abbey
The Great British Bake-off
Peaky Blinders
Sherlock
The IT Crowd
Plebs
The Inbetweeners
Luther
Misfits
Fawlty Towers
Yes, Minister
Our Friends in the North
They Royale Family
One foot in the grave
Spitting Image
Shameless (Not the crap American remake, but the original)
Merlin
Lark Rise To Candleford
Foyle's War
Spooks
Life On Mars (Not the crap American remake, but the original)
7 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Postby Stefan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:31 pm

Sherlock would be the obvious one. Last season wasn't great but I still enjoy it.

Other series worth mentioning are Black Books, The Night Manager, The Terror and Dr Who (not a fan personally).

Lots of people like Black Mirror and Downton Abbey.

Edit: I saw that rdearman mentioned Time Team. Highly recommend it.
3 x

Philipp
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N); English (what you see); Spanish, Norwegian, French (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8347

Postby Philipp » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:27 pm

Utopia is really great. It's a couple of years old, but I would put it in my top 10 of favorite TV series.
2 x
Corrections are welcome!

Doitsujin
Green Belt
Languages: German (N)

Postby Doitsujin » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:27 pm

1 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: Taking a siesta from this site for the rest of 2024.

Postby lavengro » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:19 pm

javier_getafe wrote:... And for the last weeks I was watching a remarkable English serie, Broadchurch. Alec and Elli Miller have caught me during 3 whole seasons. I couldn't barely leave the sofa in the nights to go to bed. I felt this feeling that is really tought to explain, as special link with both of them. I can't spoiler to anyone but from the tragic death of the little kid until the end of the second season didn't find the time to get at home :lol:

I loved especially the first two seasons of Broadchurch. I wish I could erase my memory and watch this series afresh.

Good luck with your next series - there certainly are some excellent suggestions in the other posts.
2 x
This signature space now dedicated to Vancouver's best - but least known - two person female power rock band:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnbymC_M1AY, ,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Av4S6u83a0

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:23 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Miranda is not bad, imho 8-)
2 x

nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Postby nooj » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:01 pm

Black Mirror is the best thing that's happened in TV (at least sci-fi) in years.
1 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:14 pm

If you liked Broadchurch, I thoroughly recommend Vera. It's a detective show set in Newcastle and it's wonderful. In the UK, the new series and several of the old episodes are available on ITV Hub. Other than that, I don't know, sorry.

Because you seem to like detective shows, I'm going to stick with that and suggest Shetland. That will really test your accent knowledge though, as it is (as the title suggests!) set in Shetland and they often go to Glasgow (or they did in the ones I've seen). So maybe one to save for the future? I think it was on BBC? Both of those will be challenging though, I suspect, accent wise. Something like 'Lewis' is much lighter and might be easier to follow. It used to be available on Netflix in the UK. It's not exactly high quality TV, but I really enjoy it.

I second rdearman's suggestion of Have I Got News For You (though I am amused that a man that professes to dislike politics would suggest it) but again, it's more challenging.

Merlin/Robin Hood/Musketeers are all lighthearted fun. Not amazing but very enjoyable!

(I have been meaning to read Lark Rise to Candleford in order to watch it, so amused to see it in the list of suggestions!)
3 x
Corrections appreciated.

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”