In need of native speakers' opinion and advice about my pronunciation and articulation)

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Evgeshencia
White Belt
Languages: Hello! I am from Russia and Russian is my native language. I am learning English regularly and my goal is to become fluent and understand at least 90% of spoken English.

In need of native speakers' opinion and advice about my pronunciation and articulation)

Postby Evgeshencia » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:06 pm

Hello!
I am from Russia and Russian is my native language.
I've recorded a two min audio file about myself and why I learn English. I made it all by myself without dictionary
and I even didn't edit the text so I guess there may be some grammatical mistakes both in the text and my speech, sorry! :oops:
I also didn't try to sound like a native speaker and make it all smooth, that's why it probably sounds quite rough,
but nevertheless I just want to know the truth about my pronunciation and the way I sound.
Any opinions, tips, advice are very much welcome! Thank you! :)

P.S. I attached a doc file with transcript both in English and Russian (in case someone of you learns Russian hehe) :roll:

Google Drive link: https://goo.gl/crWYc1
1 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Re: In need of native speakers' opinion and advice about my pronunciation and articulation)

Postby Kraut » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:44 pm

Hi
You speak British English and there was only one instance ("frustraDing") when sth sounded American to me. Your mother tongue only seems to come through in grammar ( 2 or 3 articles are missing).
Though not having pepared this, you speak fluently, a bit monotonous.
Some problems:
- language is voiced, not /tsch/
- country
- process
- podcasts
1 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: In need of native speakers' opinion and advice about my pronunciation and articulation)

Postby iguanamon » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:15 pm

As a native English-speaker, your accent is definitely Russian and perfectly understandable. That's ok. As an American who has lived in England, I wouldn't say that you speak "British English". It just sounds to me like Russian accented English. You have influence from your native language in omitting articles like "the" and "a" which is typical of Slavic-speakers. I have a Russian-speaking colleague who has been in the US for almost 20 years and you sound similar to her. She also leaves out articles at times. Still, you've done quite well! I have no problems at all understanding your English.
2 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:31 pm

Maybe I don't know my accents, but I can't tell yours is Russian. I work with an older man from Russia, and his accent is so thick there's no mistaking that he's from there. But yours is lighter. It sounds more American English to me (the pronunciation) :lol:

I listened about halfway through. There's quite a few words that have the stress placed on the wrong part of the word, one in particular I can remember is "translating". Your pronunciation of "book" was a little interesting. I've noticed that a lot of English learners have trouble with the sound in "look", "took", etc... It's not a pure "u" like you pronounced it at times but something different.
1 x

Evgeshencia
White Belt
Languages: Hello! I am from Russia and Russian is my native language. I am learning English regularly and my goal is to become fluent and understand at least 90% of spoken English.

Postby Evgeshencia » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:02 am

Kraut wrote:Hi
You speak British English and there was only one instance ("frustraDing") when sth sounded American to me. Your mother tongue only seems to come through in grammar ( 2 or 3 articles are missing).
Though not having pepared this, you speak fluently, a bit monotonous.
Some problems:
- language is voiced, not /tsch/
- country
- process
- podcasts

Hi! Thank you for your feedback, that's very important to me! :)

Yes, I mostly listen to British English and it is very appealing to me, much more than American,
I am also interested in British culture.
And I thought I made some mistakes as well, I've got a lot to learn)
Also putting articles in the right places is really one of my weak spot, I will definitely revise it.
I guess I have a problem with O sound as in the examples you wrote, haven't I?
And it should be a G sound instead of tsch in the word language?

Thank you!
0 x

Evgeshencia
White Belt

Postby Evgeshencia » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:13 am

iguanamon wrote:As a native English-speaker, your accent is definitely Russian and perfectly understandable. That's ok. As an American who has lived in England, I wouldn't say that you speak "British English". It just sounds to me like Russian accented English. You have influence from your native language in omitting articles like "the" and "a" which is typical of Slavic-speakers. I have a Russian-speaking colleague who has been in the US for almost 20 years and you sound similar to her. She also leaves out articles at times. Still, you've done quite well! I have no problems at all understanding your English.

Thank you very much for your feedback!
Yes, in my first reply above I confirmed that I was into British accent of English and have been listening to it a lot.
As I can see now putting articles is my problem :D I will work on it.
Still got a lot to learn and practice! Thank you very much again!
0 x

Evgeshencia
White Belt

Postby Evgeshencia » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:21 am

eido wrote:Maybe I don't know my accents, but I can't tell yours is Russian. I work with an older man from Russia, and his accent is so thick there's no mistaking that he's from there. But yours is lighter. It sounds more American English to me (the pronunciation) :lol:

I listened about halfway through. There's quite a few words that have the stress placed on the wrong part of the word, one in particular I can remember is "translating". Your pronunciation of "book" was a little interesting. I've noticed that a lot of English learners have trouble with the sound in "look", "took", etc... It's not a pure "u" like you pronounced it at times but something different.

Hello!

Thank you very much for your opinion, I appreciate it very much! I will practice that /ʊ/ sound a lot.
I also do not worry about my native accent much, I just want native speakers to understand me well :)
I will also spend some time rivising some grammar again.

Thank you!
0 x

白田龍
Orange Belt
Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, French, Persian, Arabic, Mandarin, Japanese.

Postby 白田龍 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:09 pm

Sounds good...

you should try to make your stressed vowels in general stronger and clearer.
1 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:11 pm

Evgeshencia wrote:

language /ˈlaŋɡwɪdʒ/

You can better hear the difference if /dʒ/ is in the middle of a word

like in "Pidgin English" versus "pitcher", "bridging the gap"

"rage" vs "rich"
"page" vs "pitch"
"cage" vs "kitchen"
etc
2 x

Evgeshencia
White Belt

Postby Evgeshencia » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:47 am

Kraut wrote:
Evgeshencia wrote:

language /ˈlaŋɡwɪdʒ/

You can better hear the difference if /dʒ/ is in the middle of a word

like in "Pidgin English" versus "pitcher", "bridging the gap"

"rage" vs "rich"
"page" vs "pitch"
"cage" vs "kitchen"
etc

Got it) thank you very much, I will definitely practice it.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”