Help fixing German pronunciation tool

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Re: Help fixing German pronunciation tool

Postby Kraut » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:10 am

Dragon27 wrote:
Kraut wrote:"Königtum": /kt/

[ˈkøːnɪçtuːm] according to the wiktionary (with [ˈkøːnɪktuːm] as the second option, just like with König), and the /ɪç/ pronunciation seems to be preferred if one can trust youglish.

Ja, I agree. There's even a third variant, when you don't fully pronounce /ch/ nor /k/, to me it feels like a soft /g/ when I slightly touch the gum with the back of my tongue.
4 x

Doitsujin
Green Belt

Postby Doitsujin » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:45 pm

Kraut wrote:"König" in its (phonetic) contexts

"König": either /ich/-Laut or /ik/
"Könige": /g/
"Königtum": /kt/
"Königreich": /gr/
I pronounce it like the PONS dictionary:
Königreich /kø:nɪkraiç/
Königtum /ˈkø:nɪçtu:m/
1 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:02 am

Doitsujin wrote:
Sebed wrote:It's not really strawman, you are just changing your comments to make them more acceptable.
No at all. The whole thread is about feedback about a language course. Languages course producers usually select speakers without noticeable regional accents and the speaker that leosmith selected clearly had a (slight) regional accent. That's all I pointed out.

Can I suggest that it's maybe slightly disingenuous to quote him and cut off his strongest argument...?
Sebed wrote:But if you go back to page one, you actually initially described it as 'wrong', 'not acceptable', and most hilariously, a 'mispronunciation' to describe not doing this! You must surely see that is a very odd thing to say. To use the speech that is actually used in the day-to-day life of almost every Austrian alive is 'unacceptable'?? If an Austrian is used on a German language course to provide examples, you think "Hopefully, you didn't pay her too much"??

If you feel you mispoke in a way that led to a mutual misunderstanding, the best action is to own it and apologise for the confusion caused.

As it stands, this thread has got into a loop of people directly criticising your actual words and you blanking that.
0 x

Doitsujin
Green Belt

Postby Doitsujin » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:31 am

Cainntear wrote:As it stands, this thread has got into a loop of people directly criticising your actual words and you blanking that.

To quote myself:
Doitsujin wrote:
german2k01 wrote:Only a handful Germans speak with /ik/ pronunciation. You will be understood with either pronunciation, though. Technically , it is not wrong, however, follow the majority when it comes to standard pronunciation.
Doitsujin wrote:Actually, it is wrong, because it doesn't follow the Bühnendeutsch guidelines. Here's a quick summary: richtich oder richtick — was ist richtig?
I stand by those words, because they referred to the pronunciation of certain German words for a language course.
And if you and Sebed lack the reading comprehension skills to understand this, it's your problem.
I won't respond to any other comments regarding this matter.
0 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:54 pm

Doitsujin wrote:I stand by those words, because they referred to the pronunciation of certain German words for a language course.

OK, but you're aain just brushing aside people's misunderstanding of you without reference to what they actually say in their expressions of misunderstanding. This is the biggest problem on the internet these days: people thinking they're so clearly right that anyone who misunderstands them is just a mean nasty troll. People refuse to give the benefit of the doubt to strangers as a matter of course now, and simply...
And if you and Sebed lack the reading comprehension skills to understand this, it's your problem.

... putting the blame for misunderstanding on the reader, rather than stopping to take a minute to understand why another equally rational human being might read it the way they did
I won't respond to any other comments regarding this matter.

Well that's probably for the best, because a response that goes back to simply restating your personal opinion as factually correct without exploring subjectivity and the difference in points of view isn't much helpful.

As someone with a Scottish accent, I wouldn't much appreciate being told that I was speaking English wrong because the word outwith "isn't acceptable", of that my British English was wrong because I don't drop post-vocalic non-intervocalic Rs and don't insert intrusive R between consecutive vowels ("scuba r equipment").

I also never appreciated people telling me that I should teach "an hotel" because some dusty old book of rules defines it as "correct" when the vast majority of people don't say anything other than "a hotel" (well, maybe "an airbnb" is getting more common than "a hotel" now!!)

So I'm coming from a position where I've historically been frequently told that my English is "wrong" because of things that are absolutely standard where I grew up, and I'm naturally inclined to sympathise with people whose manner of speech is considered "wrong" because it doesn't follow some grey-haired academics' definition of "correct" German.

Have any major changes to Bühnendeutsch been permitted since 1898? Who decides that it's "correct" German for students?

There was a time when the "correct" English for learners was considered to be BBC English/RP (pronounced "aah pee"). That level of artificiality is now far less common among that languages of the world. Why does German still work that way? Bühnendeutsch seems to be fundamentally similar in philosophy to BBC English/RP, after all.
1 x

Doitsujin
Green Belt

Postby Doitsujin » Sun May 26, 2024 7:14 am

One of the latest episodes of the (German) Sozusagen podcast "Die ARD und ihre Aussprache-Datenbank" explains the rationale behind using the "gemäßigte Hochsprache" in broadcasting. (BTW, I've never heard der/die/das Unbill.)
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”