How do you like to log what you’re reading?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
sporedandroid
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (heritage/intermediate), Hebrew (A2-B1)

Re: How do you like to log what you’re reading?

Postby sporedandroid » Fri May 24, 2024 9:25 pm

chikara wrote:
sporedandroid wrote:I find logging my time motivates me a lot. Logging time for listening is obviously easier than logging my time for reading. Maybe I shouldn’t even bother logging what I read by the amount time I spend on it. What’s your favorite way of logging what you read?

I've found that tracking my time is a great motivator, especially for listening. But when it comes to reading, it's trickier. Maybe ditching time logging for reading could be beneficial. What's your preferred method for logging your reading? Whether it's pages, chapters, or something else entirely, I'm curious to know what works best for others.

At the moment I don’t know. At one point logging time was very motivating, but eventually I quit logging the amount of time I spent. Right now I do quite a bit of passive listening for Finnish I know it’s not the most efficient. Some days I don’t have the time or energy to do more active listening and I often do passive listening while I’m exercising or doing other hobbies. Even if it’s not helping me progress, I find doing even some passive listening helps keep me motivated.

When I do end up doing more active listening, I often end up doing it for a shorter amount of time. I could log them separately, but how do I even determine whether it’s active or passive listening? I think logging listening time makes more sense when you’re at an intermediate level. Right now I’m somewhere between the beginner stage and intermediate stage for Finnish.
2 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Fri May 24, 2024 10:50 pm

To answer the original question: I just log everything into The Story Graph when I'm done with it. I've found their stats and recommendations much better. I don't set a reading goal (though I've contemplated a few Super Challenges, and sometimes strive to do it myself even if not officially registered) anymore because I found myself purposefully reading shorter stuff to meet that goal, whether I was really interested in it or not. But, really, I just log the books I've read, no rating, so that I know what I've read. The Story Graph does take page counts, but I'm not particularly interested in that. Because my interests are so varied, it's always neat to look back on a given year and see how precisely they've varied based on my moods.

If it's a book I read physically, and not as an ebook/pdf, I'll record it on a note card as well. My grandmother has three notebooks filled of books she's read since the 70s and it inspired me to keep physical collections of those I've read physically. I have this going back to 2019 or so, thought split across two countries. It's just a neat little memento.
4 x

Neo-Stoic75
Languages: English-GB (N); Deutsch; Norsk; Frysk; Others: Plattdeutsch, Fering, Englisc (Old English)

Postby Neo-Stoic75 » Sat May 25, 2024 3:56 pm

https://amzn.eu/d/ijytl60

This language-learning log and planner has some room for recording what resources you're using and your thoughts about them :)
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”