Time from B2 to C1/C2? (frustrated somewhat- seeking some feedback pls)

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=784

Re: Time from B2 to C1/C2? (frustrated somewhat- seeking some feedback pls)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:57 pm

All this talk of people switching to English greatly disappoints me, and of course I’ve experienced this myself too. In New Caledonia it seems less likely than Europe. Just yesterday, in a very touristy situation on a small bus tour my family and I ended up on our own in the minibus with one other tourist. I ended up playing translator between the female driver and this guy as he launched questions at her and she was looking at me completely lost. Turns out she was filling in and that usually she just does the airport transfers and not the tours in which tourist locations are the objective.

In the Netherlands my wife and I regularly experienced locals switching, and at B1 that makes sense, and it was useful. After some months I was confidently able to avoid them switching or at least not until much later in the conversation. Sometimes, I would continue in Dutch and they would revert back to Dutch seeing that there was really no need for English.

Still, I would much rather a more balanced world. English is creeping in everwhere. Even Netflix is now doing it’s part to spread American cultural and linguistic influence. Music is already predominantly English everywhere, economics/business has seen English grow in the last couple of decades by leaps and bounds, and now American/English TV/cinema via another English dominated medium (the internet) among many other things, is set to drive the desire for the ‘cool’ in the young even further. Globish is well on its way, and I am not a fan.

Rdearman: Excellent advice. I’ll institute regular paid conversations in the near future indeed, as much (all actually) of your points talk a lot of sense. Thank you kind sir.
0 x

Xenops
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (A2), Japanese (rusty A2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?p=48718#p48718

Postby Xenops » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:57 pm

Someone would have to find the original post, but I think it was iguanaman that said “I would love to talk to anyone, in any language.” Being a language forum, obviously we like languages other than our own, but we have to remember the end goal is communication.
0 x
: 32 / 113 Assimil New French with Ease
: 7 / 52 French in Action

Check out my comic at: http://rosamondgrey.smackjeeves.com/

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:06 am

Xenops wrote:Someone would have to find the original post, but I think it was iguanaman that said “I would love to talk to anyone, in any language.” Being a language forum, obviously we like languages other than our own, but we have to remember the end goal is communication.

Yes and no (imo). Human beings (the way the majority of us are now) will exploit things (sometimes by choice, but mostly by default through the way that we choose to live our lives). Everything has become a commodity in the world of economics and thus to ensure survival, there needs to be a degree of protectionism, so that in the search for money, everything isn’t destroyed in the procesd, there needs to be a sense of value in diversity. I’d imagine, like an ecosystem, the entire planet has a tipping point. Enough ecosystems collapse, there’s likely a very poor future for the planet. If we didn’t value nature then look out planet earth and if we are not careful with regards to language and culture - equate them to ecosystems the cultural and linguistic diversity of the planet fade into oblivion. I think each an every cultural and language has a right to survival and globish will threaten them all given enough time and freedom if the forces behind it continue to grow.
2 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:12 am

I’ve been reading and re-reading this thread a lot. I’m impatient and frustrated (I’m not blaming outside factors as this is my journey and I recognize I’ve travelled a good way too). I do have a plan now though, as sooner or later I need to get down to business (starting in a few days). 2 courses to plow through with a different approach (not looking up words every two seconds) then je mettrai le cap sur le territoire natif. I’m still really wanting to get back to Dutch and the only way to hold it back is to reach C1 (then perhaps C2) very fast as I am getting tired of waiting. Unrealistic perhaps in 12 months, so I could add Dutch without passing C1, but I’ll certainly sit it (the exam) and from there, we’ll see.

Edit: Thanks everyone for the wealth of great advice and putting up with me despite perhaps frustrations from your perpective.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”