Homeschoolers united!

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
IronMike
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (C1), Esperanto (B2? C1?). The Esperanto test is in the mail, so should find out if I'm a C1 sometime in July. So now I'm reviving my BCS for our trip to Montenegro in August. Of course I'm still using my Russian daily with work and reading Esperanto.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Re: Homeschoolers united!

Postby IronMike » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:59 pm

Elsa Maria wrote:Hello, fellow homeschoolers. I am checking in after an absence on the forum. I have a lot of moving experience, but our move back to the USA was really extraordinarily stressful and time-consuming. More than anything, the homeschool student and I are hoping for stability in 2017.

We are over-the-moon happy with his Russian tutor, and he is progressing quickly. And I have succumbed to the temptation to join him. I am a handwriting geek, and once I found out that Russians usually write in cursive...well, that was the moment that clinched it, lol.

I also love Russian writing. When my kids complain about (English) cursive writing, I think of this meme about Russian:

2 x
Xenoglossomania is a serious condition, cured only by collecting more languages

SC Esperanto books : 22 / 50
SC E-o films : 21 / 50
SC Russian books : 20 / 50
SC Rus films : 23 / 50

Ani
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (getting fairly proficient), Finnish (on hold) Greek and Russian (beginner)

Postby Ani » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:21 am

Is that really how Russian cursive feels? :) I am a complete newbie to Russian but the book I just picked to learn from teaches the cursive with the Cyrillic alphabet right from day 1 and I super love it :)

I want to teach my kids ALL the languages. We can learn them together.
2 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Elsa Maria
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (intermediate), Russian (absolute beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:21 pm

Ani wrote:Is that really how Russian cursive feels? :) I am a complete newbie to Russian but the book I just picked to learn from teaches the cursive with the Cyrillic alphabet right from day 1 and I super love it :)

I want to teach my kids ALL the languages. We can learn them together.

Ani, what book are you using? I took the free trial of Russianpod101 to learn the alphabet, and it taught the cursive with the letters. I loved that!

My son't tutor assigned this cursive book to him, and I want to get one for myself.
http://russia-on-line.com/index.php?id_ ... &id_lang=2

At the moment, my homeschool student isn't interested in putting time into maintaining his Danish. I'll keep it in his life a little bit, and it will reside in him somewhat if he ever wants to activate it again. But he is in 10th grade, and is a busy guy. Not at all something I am willing to force.
1 x
: 32 / 127 Grammatik i brug
: 69 / 1000 1000 pages Danish reading (start date 25 June 2017) Goodreads
: 1 / 50 Learning Russian by Nina Potapova
: 6 / 35 Lingua Latina Familia Romana

IronMike
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (C1), Esperanto (B2? C1?). The Esperanto test is in the mail, so should find out if I'm a C1 sometime in July. So now I'm reviving my BCS for our trip to Montenegro in August. Of course I'm still using my Russian daily with work and reading Esperanto.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:24 pm

When I first started oh so many years ago, yes, that's how Russian cursive felt. But now not so much! And thankfully I rarely read anyone's cursive as most all I read is in books, billboards, online.

Which Russian book did you pick up?
1 x
Xenoglossomania is a serious condition, cured only by collecting more languages

SC Esperanto books : 22 / 50
SC E-o films : 21 / 50
SC Russian books : 20 / 50
SC Rus films : 23 / 50

Rhian
Blue Belt

Postby Rhian » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:06 pm

How is homeschooling going? Are you all on summer break? (Do y'all stick to the idea of term-times and 'school holidays'?)
0 x

Ani
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (getting fairly proficient), Finnish (on hold) Greek and Russian (beginner)

Postby Ani » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:15 pm

It's going very well. We school year round because we travel so much during the fall. We do half time school during the summer and half time during our long vacations.
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”