Is this useful

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Re: Is this useful

Postby Kraut » Sat May 18, 2024 4:40 pm

Have a look at ELREADER (discontinued):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5gU0AlsLm8&t=2s
https://www.reddit.com/r/languagelearni ... ternative/
-------------
- and the bidirectional translation platforms of Deepl and Google translate, they have audio and clickable dictionary

- https://de.pons.com/text-%C3%BCbersetzung-2
---------------------------
the Definer popup tool, also has audio
---------
try out the translation skills of the new ChatGPT4o, AI can produce interlinear texts (original and translation below) in one go
-------
You can also read and translate an original text with SIMPLE TRANSLATE, another popup tool
1 x

bombobuffoon
Orange Belt
Languages: English N-C1
Finnish A0-A1

Postby bombobuffoon » Sat May 18, 2024 5:10 pm

Kraut wrote:Have a look at ELREADER (discontinued):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5gU0AlsLm8&t=2s
https://www.reddit.com/r/languagelearni ... ternative/
-------------
- and the bidirectional translation platforms of Deepl and Google translate, they have audio and clickable dictionary

- https://de.pons.com/text-%C3%BCbersetzung-2
---------------------------
the Definer popup tool, also has audio
---------
try out the translation skills of the new ChatGPT4o, AI can produce interlinear texts (original and translation below) in one go
-------
You can also read and translate an original text with SIMPLE TRANSLATE, another popup tool

Shame that doesn't support Finnish.

I use simple translate already, its great on PC. It has an annoying issue that it closes my video player but apart from that I use it extensively.

I also don't find it works on mobile phones very well. I need something that I can explicitly click to show and hide sentence by sentence.
0 x

bombobuffoon
Orange Belt
Finnish A0-A1

Postby bombobuffoon » Sat May 18, 2024 6:25 pm

As per the suggestions I added audio.
I also made buttons bigger for mobile.

0 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Sat May 18, 2024 8:21 pm

Another one, but I don't know whether they do Finnish:
Instantly BILINGUALIZE texts (learn German etc. FASTER) with my TranslationCubed (T3) Web App
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1995_mv1jI
1 x

bombobuffoon
Orange Belt
Finnish A0-A1

Postby bombobuffoon » Sat May 18, 2024 9:09 pm

Kraut wrote:Another one, but I don't know whether they do Finnish:
Instantly BILINGUALIZE texts (learn German etc. FASTER) with my TranslationCubed (T3) Web App
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1995_mv1jI

Oh yes, that does Finnish and thats what I want. The website is bust though :cry:
0 x

bombobuffoon
Orange Belt
Finnish A0-A1

Postby bombobuffoon » Sun May 19, 2024 6:18 pm

It drives me nuts that you cant use Language Reactor youtube plugin in a phone so I made a webpage that does similar for my needs. It works for what I want it for. I can listen to a subtitle over and over till I get it now. All on my phone.

0 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Sun May 19, 2024 9:24 pm

Try if the following works for you:
It's a popup: you click on an expression and a search engin will answer your prompt - no typing! You make this prompt according to your needs.
You need Leung's popup dictionary (Firefox) in whose settings you put your prompt for the search engine Perplexity.

This is the prompt:
Explain the meaning of the phrase and its parts in detail in your own Finnish words. For each of the meaningful chunks provide 3 example sentences in Finnish: three example sentences for the first chunk, three example sentences for the second chunk, three example sentences for the third chunk etc. And then your last task is to translate all the preceding texts into Englisch:Tiedätkö minkälainen sää on nyt Helsingissä?

Tiedätkö minkälainen sää on nyt Helsingissä? is what I want to have explained

And this is what you put in the popup's settings:

https://www.perplexity.ai/?q=Explain the meaning of the phrase and its parts in detail in your own Finnish words. For each of the meaningful chunks provide 3 example sentences in Finnish: three example sentences for the first chunk, three example sentences for the second chunk, three example sentences for the third chunk etc. And then your last task is to translate all the preceding texts into Englisch:$$

And this is what you get with a click:

## Lauseen merkitys

Lause "Tiedätkö minkälainen sää on nyt Helsingissä" kysyy, tiedätkö millainen sääolosuhde on tällä hetkellä Helsingin kaupungissa. Se koostuu seuraavista osista:

1. "Tiedätkö" - Tämä on kysymyslause, joka kysyy tietoa puhuteltavalta.

Esimerkkejä:
- Tiedätkö, mihin aikaan lento lähtee?
- Tiedätkö, missä lähimmät kaupat sijaitsevat?
- Tiedätkö, kuinka paljon tämä maksaa?

2. "minkälainen" - Tämä sana kysyy laatua tai ominaisuutta.

Esimerkkejä:
- Minkälainen auto sinulla on?
- Minkälainen ruoka on suosikkisi?
- Minkälainen elokuva se oli?

3. "sää" - Tämä tarkoittaa ilmastollisia olosuhteita, kuten lämpötilaa, sadetta, tuulta jne.

Esimerkkejä:
- Sää on aurinkoinen tänään.
- Huomenna on luvattu sadekuuroja.
- Talvisää on kylmä ja luminen.

4. "on nyt" - Tämä viittaa nykyhetkeen.

Esimerkkejä:
- Kello on nyt viisi.
- Hän on nyt töissä.
- Olemme nyt matkalla.

5. "Helsingissä" - Tämä on Suomen pääkaupungin nimi.

Esimerkkejä:
- Helsingissä on paljon nähtävyyksiä.
- Asun Helsingissä.
- Olen käynyt Helsingissä monta kertaa.

Käännös englanniksi:

Do you know what the weather is like in Helsinki right now?

The sentence is asking if you are aware of the current weather conditions in the city of Helsinki. It consists of the following parts:

1. "Do you know" - This is an interrogative sentence asking for information from the person being addressed.

2. "what kind of" - This word is asking about the quality or characteristics.

3. "weather" - This refers to the atmospheric conditions such as temperature, rain, wind, etc.

4. "is now" - This refers to the present moment.

5. "in Helsinki" - This is the name of the capital city of Finland.

----------------------------
if the AI has some other useful stuff for this context, it will also offer it

Here are some useful Finnish phrases for discussing the weather with locals: Millainen ilma/sää tänään on? - What is the weather like today?
Tänään on aurinkoinen päivä. - Today is a sunny day.
Tänään sataa vettä/lunta/rakeita. - Today it's raining/snowing/hailing.
Tänään on pilvistä. - Today is cloudy.
Tänään tuulee kovasti. - Today it's very windy.

Tänään on kylmä/lämmin ilma. - Today the weather is cold/warm.
Tänään on kaunis/huono sää. - Today the weather is nice/bad.
Aurinko paistaa. - The sun is shining.
Tänään on pakkasta. - Today it's freezing (below 0°C).
Luvattiinko sadetta? - Did they predict rain?
---------------
This technique also works in you.com chatgpt4o and iaskai, maybe in others as well.
0 x

Saudalmansour
White Belt
Languages: I speak Arabic. I study English

Postby Saudalmansour » Sat May 25, 2024 11:49 pm

Me personally haven't heard of anything like what you're trying to do, I mean some guys above me tried saying a thing or two about similar apps like yours, but I think if you make a good, polished and finished product, then market it well, your app will do numbers through out language learners.
0 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Sun May 26, 2024 11:42 am

There's LINGVANEX now, it's a translation popup with audio. It also has Finnish.
0 x

tritiumoxide
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (B1), Spanish (A2), German (rusty)

Postby tritiumoxide » Wed May 29, 2024 5:59 am

I made a little Flask app similar to what you're describing but for working with Assimil courses. It can either take a set of MP3s (or really any audio format supported by modern browsers) with text embedded in the format Assimil uses (like their MP3 CDs or MP3 downloads), or it can take just the raw text files in that same format, with or without audio, or with a single audio file per lesson/chapter, you just don't get the lines highlighted as it goes along. It also works as an alternate interface to any Assimil e-Method courses you may have bought, giving access to all of the notes and everything along with the parallel texts and audio, but making it look as closely as possible to the book, just with interactive audio. (It also might even work with the audio and text of Glossika courses, since the original version could, but shoehorning that into this new "book" format wasn't a priority so it might be broken.) When you hover over a line it highlights it and its parallel, and if you have audio for each line, you can see the audio progress in a different highlight color. There are also some tweaks I made to the formatting to allow the page to play nicely with the Readlang browser extension, so you can look up individual words or phrases using that tool as well. I have adapted some graded readers to this format and even took a pass at automatically chopping up chapter audio into lines to get the follow-along (I've also used piper to generate audio for each line, but when I already have a good quality recording, I try to use that if at all possible). It requires a bit of prep, but it is functional for simple texts. Would I read novels this way? Definitely not. I tend to prefer the Readlang site for reading longer texts that still require hand-holding, but I love parallel texts with target audio for getting started in a language, and this interface, while still a work in progress (there are some audio control features from a previous version I still want to pull forward into this one), is what I've got. Obviously if you're using it for the text of a book, there would be no notes or translation exercises. There might be a way of adapting it in a way that allows texts to flow in paragraphs without line numbers while still mapping sentence to sentence, but that's not a use case I've tried since I tend to just move to Readlang by that point. It's currently hard-coded to dark mode while I work out some quirks with it, but here's a sample to see kind of how it works:
Screenshot_20240529_013930-1_.png

I would imagine something similar but much better customized to your use case could be put together with a little Python (did we determine you prefer interlinear over parallel?). As for getting the translation, I have a script that makes calls into DeepL with the input "target" text and outputs a compatible "source" text file (normally English for me), but that could obviously be hooked into the ChatGPT API for that purpose as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”