VPN Recommendations for Germany/Europe perhaps

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
wallflower
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Swedish (Int.)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=20207

Re: VPN Recommendations for Germany/Europe perhaps

Postby wallflower » Thu May 09, 2024 4:59 am

Carl wrote:I switched to ExpressVPN after that, and I haven't looked back. The software just worked, right away. They have many servers in the US and around the world. The only problem I have is when I move the laptop to a new network. It can take a while for it to make a new connection, and meanwhile it blocks all internet traffic. Plus, it won't respond immediately to attempts to cancel the connection or even quit the app. This is particularly an issue if the new network has a log-in page.

This may be an issue with the kill switch feature. Maybe their customer service would be able to advise you.

MorkTheFiddle wrote:IIRC, Nord owns Proton, and also, IIRC, Proton's base is Switzerland.

You are half correct here: Proton is based in Switzerland, but they are not owned by Nord. Nord and Proton are completely separate. I just wanted to clear that up since some people appear to be a bit suspicious of Nord.

Anyway, my experiences. I used NordVPN for several years and it was several years of on/off glitches and headaches. The vpn would work flawlessly for a few months and then there would be months of the vpn not maintaining a connection, or not able to connect in the first place… Customer service was usually prompt to reply, and what they suggested usually worked, but it was a hassle to again and again have to turn on/off features at different times to make the vpn function properly.

At the end of my subscription I cancelled, switched to Proton, have had zero issues in the year or so I’ve been with them.

I think most/all vpn providers are always trying to stay ahead of the vpn-blocking that streaming websites and other websites do. Proton has a “stealth mode” that they claim “evades detection and allows you to bypass most firewalls and VPN blocking methods.” I haven’t tested it to say whether it works or not.

All that said, I am not in Germany so cannot advise on the specific question in the OP.
3 x

Carl
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C2), Norwegian (C1), Danish (reading only), Spanish (B2), German (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=16220

Postby Carl » Thu May 09, 2024 10:49 am

wallflower wrote:
Carl wrote:I switched to ExpressVPN after that, and I haven't looked back. The software just worked, right away. They have many servers in the US and around the world. The only problem I have is when I move the laptop to a new network. It can take a while for it to make a new connection, and meanwhile it blocks all internet traffic. Plus, it won't respond immediately to attempts to cancel the connection or even quit the app. This is particularly an issue if the new network has a log-in page.

This may be an issue with the kill switch feature. Maybe their customer service would be able to advise you.

Thanks for reminding me I said this, wallflower. It seems I incorrectly attributed a problem to ExpressVPN. I've been running the laptop with ExpressVPN turned off in public places for a couple weeks now, and it still takes a while (a minute or two) for the laptop to get internet access via the new connection, even after it says it's connected to the network. This happens with networks I've logged into in the past and have saved in the system. So it's not a problem with ExpressVPN at all, it seems.

It's still an ExpressVPN problem that the app won't quit or allow me to cancel the connection when it is turned on and gets hung up in situations like this. But maybe (probably?) if I just have the patience to let my laptop do whatever it needs to do to feel comfortable on the new connection, ExpressVPN will do its magic when it gets the chance, so I won't need to cancel the connection or quit the app.
1 x
2024/2025 Super Challenge (half challenges)
Germanic books 2500 pages: 0 / 2500
Germanic films 4500 minutes: 69 / 4500
Spanish books 2500 pages: 0 / 2500
Spanish films 4500 minutes: 14 / 4500

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu May 09, 2024 9:25 pm

wallflower wrote:
MorkTheFiddle wrote:IIRC, Nord owns Proton, and also, IIRC, Proton's base is Switzerland.

You are half correct here: Proton is based in Switzerland, but they are not owned by Nord. Nord and Proton are completely separate. I just wanted to clear that up since some people appear to be a bit suspicious of Nord.

I stand corrected.

.[/quote]
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

M23
Orange Belt
Languages: Analog languages - English (N), Spanish (intermediate), German (n00b). Digital languages- Java (n00b)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2186

Postby M23 » Thu May 16, 2024 6:29 pm

Put me down as another person that suggests Proton VPN.
1 x

handa
Yellow Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), English, French, Japanese, Albanian

Postby handa » Thu May 16, 2024 9:03 pm

dubendorf wrote:I highly recommend Mullvad for VPN. As a company they seem quite privacy-oriented, insofar as a VPN company can be. It is €5/month flat rate, no subscription or commitment. I have had good success with watching shows in other countries using Mullvad. (Although, Norway's NRK started to block VPN servers and I had to try multiple servers to watch certain Norwegian shows while in the US). I haven't tried watching US Netflix from abroad, so I don't know if Netlix blocks any US servers, but they have many servers so it is worth trying a few. The software works on all platforms and is easy to use in my experience.

I used Mullvad VPN when I was in Japan and it worked with Netflix, both while I was in Japan and then back home in Sweden. It was nice not having to get a subscription. I was able to use it on both my computer and phone.
2 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”