English: the present perfect "has replaced"

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Re: English: the present perfect "has replaced"

Postby Le Baron » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:12 am

AvidLearner# wrote:Can either version then be used in my context in British English? Thanks in advance.

Yes. The difference is trivial really. I don't see either of them being specifically weighted towards UK or U.S. usage.
0 x
To have talked much and read much is of more value in learning to speak and write well than to have parsed and analysed half a library.

AvidLearner#
White Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby AvidLearner# » Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:44 pm

Le Baron wrote:
AvidLearner# wrote:Can either version then be used in my context in British English? Thanks in advance.

Yes. The difference is trivial really. I don't see either of them being specifically weighted towards UK or U.S. usage.

Thanks.
0 x

AvidLearner#
White Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby AvidLearner# » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:50 pm

John and Sarah are hiking somewhere in the forest. John gets his cellphone out of the pocket and sees that there's a message from Peter. He reads the message and puts the phone back in the pocket. Then he says to Sarah: "Peter sent me a message. He's now going to the pub and he wants me to join him."

John sees that he's received a message from Peter. He says to Sarah: "Peter has sent me a message.", then he reads the message and continues: "He's now going to the pub and he wants me to join him."

Have I used the tenses correctly in the examples I made up? If so, I wonder if they would also work the other way round: "has sent" in the first scenario and "sent" in the second. Thanks in advance.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”