What does "focus on comprehension" mean?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Uncle Roger
Orange Belt
Languages: Italian (Native), English (as good as you see me write it here?), Norwegian (C1?), French (B2), Swedish (B1?)

Re: What does "focus on comprehension" mean?

Postby Uncle Roger » Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:01 pm

Le Baron wrote:
Iversen wrote:No - and who said it was?

The point is the keyword is comprehension, rather than specifically just focus.

My take would be a "focus on being able to read and listen at a certain level". It might apply to certain professional contexts, where being able to read a lot in a specific language might be particularly needed, more so than being able to speak or even write.

Say, a friend of mine did his PhD thesis on a comparative study between totalitarian regimes in Italy, Germany and Norway (Norway of course under Nazi occupation). He knew Italian, English and German. His need for Norwegian was 99% about being able to read it, and not even to be able to read it out loud/pronounce it. Essentially, comprehending some written sources that were only available in Norwegian, or something like that.
3 x
«If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.»
Frank Zappa

Picaboo
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native). Korean (upper intermediate). French (early intermediate), Japanese (early beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19516

Re: What does "focus on comprehension" mean?

Postby Picaboo » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:20 am

What it means to me to "focus on comprehension":
Have a similar (obviously lower fidelity) experience as when you read or listen or watch something in your native language. Don't pay attention to "language." In fiction pay attention to what is happening, and what will had happen. Enjoy it and keep it continuous. With nonfiction evaluate the message and make connections. Basically, a week later you shouldn't easily remember what language you watched or read the content in.

Personally, I'm not 100% sure this is the right thing to do all the time. And when you're a beginner I imagine it's impossible to do as unknowns will be smacking you in the face. :) I do think it is a sweet spot to use content that I can comprehend with enough cognitive resources left over to enjoy it in a natural way, if possible, and/or figure out language stuff on the fly.
3 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”