Course after Assimil with Ease Spanish

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Re: Course after Assimil with Ease Spanish

Postby luke » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:56 am

weissnichtgenau wrote:I'm very surprised that there's no Assimil advanced course for Spanish in English anymore. There's one in French, German and Italian (Perfectionnement Espagnol, Spanisch in der Praxis, Perfezionamento dello Spagnolo).

There may have been one. Ankiweb has a Using Spanish deck from 2015 with English translations. Perhaps the translations were not taken from a book. E.G., they used "translate" website. If the 1996 Using Spanish were representative of the quality of English translations in a 2015 edition, then a translate website would probably come up with more helpful translations.

Based on those samples, that 2015 deck is definitely different from the 1996 Using Spanish.
0 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

CardiffGiant
Yellow Belt
Languages: Italian(B2), English (N), Spanish(beg)

Postby CardiffGiant » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:20 pm

einzelne wrote:There's a 1996 follow-up course — Using Spanish. You can find older versions of Assimil on the Internet — Spanish without Toil. It would give you more vocabulary and practice.

If you happen to know French, there also was a book on business Spanish back in 1990s — L'Espagnol des Affaires.

Any ideas on where I can find the audio for this course? Thanks!
0 x

einzelne
Blue Belt
Languages: Russan (N), English (Working knowledge), French (Reading), German (Reading), Italian (Reading on Kindle)

Postby einzelne » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:52 pm

CardiffGiant wrote:
einzelne wrote:There's a 1996 follow-up course — Using Spanish. You can find older versions of Assimil on the Internet — Spanish without Toil. It would give you more vocabulary and practice.

If you happen to know French, there also was a book on business Spanish back in 1990s — L'Espagnol des Affaires.

Any ideas on where I can find the audio for this course? Thanks!

Torrents? Second hand booksellers? Using the interlibrary loans option in your public/univeristy library?
0 x

CardiffGiant
Yellow Belt

Postby CardiffGiant » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:47 pm

Does anyone know if the Spanish audio for the Perfectionnement Espagnol matches the dialogues for the Using Spanish course? I am having a lot of trouble finding the mp3 audio for the Using Spanish course. Thanks
0 x

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:41 pm

CardiffGiant wrote:Does anyone know if the Spanish audio for the Perfectionnement Espagnol matches the dialogues for the Using Spanish course?

The 1996 version did. I had the book in French (which is the title you've used) and English. Same dialogues, same audio, 100% in Spanish.
2 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

CardiffGiant
Yellow Belt

Postby CardiffGiant » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:23 pm

luke wrote:
CardiffGiant wrote:Does anyone know if the Spanish audio for the Perfectionnement Espagnol matches the dialogues for the Using Spanish course?

The 1996 version did. I had the book in French (which is the title you've used) and English. Same dialogues, same audio, 100% in Spanish.

Is there a particular version of Perfectionnement Espagnol that matches Using Spanish? Assimil has indicated the dialogues are not the same. If anyone has any recommendations on where I can find the mp3 of the Using Spanish course, pm me. Thanks
0 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:46 pm

CardiffGiant wrote:Is there a particular version of Perfectionnement Espagnol that matches Using Spanish? Assimil has indicated the dialogues are not the same. If anyone has any recommendations on where I can find the mp3 of the Using Spanish course, pm me. Thanks
Teach Yourself's intermediate course is Enjoy Spanish, perhaps it would be easier to just buy that one?
1 x

tractor
Green Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English, Spanish, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Latin

Postby tractor » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:50 pm

CardiffGiant wrote:
luke wrote:

Is there a particular version of Perfectionnement Espagnol that matches Using Spanish? Assimil has indicated the dialogues are not the same. If anyone has any recommendations on where I can find the mp3 of the Using Spanish course, pm me. Thanks

As Luke said, the 1996 edition did match. It was probably reissued several times over the years until they finally made a completely new course with different dialogues.
1 x

elAmericanoTranquilo
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18495

Postby elAmericanoTranquilo » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:31 am

ShawnP wrote:Before jumping into another course, perhaps find some easy spanish learning podcasts such as Coffee Break Spanish on Itunes or search for native material and see how you like it. You can find a lot of good, short videos of native speakers at spanishlearning.org or https://laits.utexas.edu/spe/index.html. I actually made my own Assimil-like content using the audio I downloaded and the script they provided. ALL FREE.

I've attached one that I made from laits.utexas.edu. Put it on my ipad and the mp3's I downloaded with it on my Ipod, and good to go. Feel free to use it if you want, just have to go get the audio for each conversation. Or not. Good luck either way.

Wow, these are great resources - thanks for sharing the links and your pdf!

I'd be interested to hear more about how you (or others) are working through the material on the laits.utexas.edu site. I'm currently about 25% of the way through Assimil and I can see the similarities to this material: high quality audio, along with a vocabulary list and grammatical explanations for each mini lesson. In some ways this material is richer, because it has video and 5 or 6 different speakers for each lesson.

From the site:
After reviewing the simplified version, the vocabulary, the phrases, the grammar, and the video clips of the native speakers, we believe that students will be more prepared to perform the same proficiency tasks.

This gave me the idea that after listening and studying each lesson, I could try writing down my own answer to the exercise, and then maybe submit it to lang8 for correction.
3 x

tritiumoxide
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (B1), Spanish (A2), German (rusty)

Postby tritiumoxide » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:08 am

CardiffGiant wrote:
luke wrote:

I know this thread is from some months back, but this might be useful information for anybody stumbling across this (or you, if you still haven't found the audio and are still interested).

Assimil still has two second level Spanish mp3 sets available for download, the one from Using Spanish (first chapter: Andar):
https://www.assimil.com/en/perfect-your-skills/1781-espanol-perfeccionamiento-using-spanish-mp3-download-3135414907632.html
and the newer one that hasn't been translated into English yet (first chapter: Un idioma con futuro):
https://www.assimil.com/en/perfect-your-skills/1518-espanol-perfeccionamiento-3135414907106.html
3 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”