MSA: google translate for detecting correct harrakas?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
jimmy
Green Belt
Languages: ...

MSA: google translate for detecting correct harrakas?

Postby jimmy » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:10 pm

I apologise if this query had already been asked in our past conversations and ask kind understanding.

hi,
is "google translate" correct way/selection to detect correct harrakas when we do not the truth?7
notification: roughly and approximately x shows the ratio of words that I need to detect harrakas to the bulk of remaining words , here, the texts can be random (any text whicever I could reach over the net)
(30 % < x < % 60 )

Kind Regards
jimmy
0 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Re: MSA: google translate for detecting correct harrakas?

Postby Querneus » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:11 pm

No, I'd say you shouldn't rely on Google Translate for Harakaat.

I just tried a sample text and I notice that while it does have data for many words (for example it correctly identifies دائِمًا daa'iman, without me giving the Harakaat, as ending in an -n: it gives "dayimaan"), it's missing some very common basic words too (for example هو huwa produces "hu", and الشَّرْق الأَوْسَط ash-sharq al-'awsaT produces "alshrq al'awsat").
2 x

jimmy
Green Belt

Postby jimmy » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:39 pm

Querneus wrote:No, I'd say you shouldn't rely on Google Translate for Harakaat.

I just tried a sample text and I notice that while it does have data for many words (for example it correctly identifies دائِمًا daa'iman, without me giving the Harakaat, as ending in an -n: it gives "dayimaan"), it's missing some very common basic words too (for example هو huwa produces "hu", and الشَّرْق الأَوْسَط ash-sharq al-'awsaT produces "alshrq al'awsat").

thank you very much for the reply.
And may I ask whether there was any solution (on how) to recognize the new words we would like to learn ?
0 x

jimmy
Green Belt

Postby jimmy » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:02 am

presumably I found my way. (more properly one saudi(an) friend shown me the way.
Al jazeera provides educative videos / podcasts with their harrakas in speech (in fact no harraka appears in text ,but very easily can be detecetd in speeches)
thanks to that friend (@Samer)
0 x

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:28 am

jimmy wrote:And may I ask whether there was any solution (on how) to recognize the new words we would like to learn ?

All I can say is that it gets less hard to guess vowels the more Arabic you know, and also it gets really easy to figure out how to look them up in a dictionary... If I see a word like تَحَدٍّ taHaddin 'challenge', written تحدٍ, I know the root could be ت ح د t-H-d, but t- is often a prefix (an added letter), and with that tanwiin al-kasra, the root is likely ح د ي H-d-y instead... And then a good dictionary gives you the Harakaat you need.
0 x

jimmy
Green Belt

Postby jimmy » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:18 am

Querneus wrote:
jimmy wrote:And may I ask whether there was any solution (on how) to recognize the new words we would like to learn ?

All I can say is that it gets less hard to guess vowels the more Arabic you know, and also it gets really easy to figure out how to look them up in a dictionary... If I see a word like تَحَدٍّ taHaddin 'challenge', written تحدٍ, I know the root could be ت ح د t-H-d, but t- is often a prefix (an added letter), and with that tanwiin al-kasra, the root is likely ح د ي H-d-y instead... And then a good dictionary gives you the Harakaat you need.

so, you mean (simply)

the more we practise, the more it gets easier..
yes, it's the thing I had newly realised but could not be sure ,so ,thank you too.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”