Duolingo - quick question

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
MrsStarez
White Belt
Languages: I can read and write French, but my spoken capabilities are limited. I'm looking to develop further, especially in a business sense, as I'm getting increasingly asked if I would be able to use French at work.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=8933

Re: Duolingo - quick question

Postby MrsStarez » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:38 pm

Ooh - thanks. My best opportunity to listen to things uninterrupted is in the car, so I’ll have a look at the app. If not I’ll have a look at their site to see if I can add it to my Friday homework.
0 x

Soclydeza
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
German (B2)
French (Lower intermediate)
Italian (False beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9066

Re: Duolingo - quick question

Postby Soclydeza » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:09 am

Nothing wrong with Duolingo, I've used it on a few languages and I think it's a great resourse if you're on the go a lot and only have small pockets of time to practice. It won't get you to B1/B2; as others have said, no single program will. I've done the whole French tree and it helped with vocab and grammar structure. I remember some of the more complex contructions clicked with me while I was using it, so I do think it has value, definitely worth doing at least a few lessons a day for practice.

I wouldn't use it as the bread and butter of your routine though, I would use it as either a supplement to practice on downtime or as a lightweight way to get your feet wet in a language by introducing you to the basics and grammar structure. I'm currently using it to pick at Norwegian for 10-15 mins a day so when/if I decide to invest in some fulltime resources in the future, I'll already be acquainted with the basics.

I will say though, Duolingo is one hell of an accountability partner. Miss one day and the app won't leave you the hell alone until you practice again.
6 x
END OF YEAR
: 27 / 100 Assimil Italian
: 108 / 108 Babbel Italian (Beginner)
: 1 / 47 Babbel Italian (Intermediate)

: 26 / 107 Volta
: 0 / 169 Philosophie
: 0 / 150 Politik

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”