Signing Out Quickly

Discuss technical problems and features here
eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Signing Out Quickly

Postby eido » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:19 pm

I'll be logged in for about two minutes and then it will sign me out while I'm reading through a thread. Normally it keeps me signed in for about fifteen minutes or longer while I'm "inactively" browsing. So I don't know what's wrong.

EDIT: I got signed out and I went to view this post, and it said I was online :O
Last edited by eido on Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

neumanc
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: German (native), English, Dutch
Studies: French (advanced), Spanish (false beginner)
Mostly forgotten: Italian, Latin

Re: Signing Out Quickly

Postby neumanc » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:57 pm

Same here.
0 x

dicentra8
Orange Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), Japanese (JLPT N3), Finnish (beginner), French (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9114

Postby dicentra8 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:54 pm

Weird, I haven't experienced that. I was actually thinking the opposite, it seems that now it takes longer until it logs out automatically. Before it happened more often to the point that I would be too lazy to log in again. I've been here today (afternoon and evening) and I got logged out only once so far.
0 x
"I have to watch the time I spend playing Tetris very carefully."

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:45 am

If you are still experiencing problems can you please log out. Clear the cookies on your web browser and log back in and make sure that the "remember me" option is ticked.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:02 pm

I have experienced the problem before when I was writing a very long post which took a very long time to finish - and only in that situation. It seems that the problem still is there, but now with a reduced digital patience limit. My solution is not to let the computer remember me (I'm deeply suspicious about that option), but to keep a second window open and press F5 every time I have finished a paragraph. I can live with that. And I have set my browser to clear all cookies when I close it.
1 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:56 pm

I use an incognito window to browse on my computer, and I think the cookies are cleared out every time I close it. This issue is happening on both mobile and desktop still. In fact, it just happened now - I had to rewrite my entire post. I wasn’t logged in for even two minutes.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...

Postby Iversen » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:04 pm

If I have been logged out I go one step back to restore the intended post, log in from my alternative window and save again. The second time the saving function functions. And on top of that I have developed the habit to do CTRL C just before I save - then at least the text is rescued. Sometimes I discover that something is wrong because an image can't be uploaded, and then I also log in again before trying to save the whole thing. And because I have a tendency to write EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEMEly long posts the timeout logout has happened often enough to make me take my precautions every time ... actually it happened for me right now, and this post is definitely not in the mega league lengthwise so something has definitely changed for the worse.

But as long as I can get back in without solving captchas it's quite fast to do the re-login.
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:30 pm

Now it also logged me out from a pause during ordinary site surfing. Previously that would only have happened after a very long pause, but now it happened after less than five minuts.
0 x

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C2), French (B2), Italian (A2), German (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 25#p100832

strange

Postby renaissancemedici » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:33 am

I seem to be online, when in fact I am not. Is that a problem? What is that?
0 x
I use Assimil right now as a starting point, but at the same time I am building the foundation for further studies of German.

Assimil German with ease: 8 / 100

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: strange

Postby rdearman » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:03 pm

renaissancemedici wrote:I seem to be online, when in fact I am not. Is that a problem? What is that?

I don't know what you mean. But the first starting point would be to log out and log back in.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”