Sound problems/ embedded videos

Discuss technical problems and features here
WalkingAlone13
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) German (B2) Finnish (beginner) Swedish (beginner) Polish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... f=15&t=742

Sound problems/ embedded videos

Postby WalkingAlone13 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:41 pm

I recently got upgraded to Windows 10 and ever since I can no longer watch any of the embedded videos from youtube, nor can I watch anything on youtube...or anywhere where sound is involved. I realise this is down to Windows 10 and not due to the forum, but I am really lacking in the tech department and have searched thoroughly for a fix to no avail.
This is seriously impacting my learning experience as a lot of my language learning is/was done via media resources. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Sound problems/ embedded videos

Postby rdearman » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:13 pm

WalkingAlone13 wrote:I recently got upgraded to Windows 10 and ever since I can no longer watch any of the embedded videos from youtube, nor can I watch anything on youtube...or anywhere where sound is involved. I realise this is down to Windows 10 and not due to the forum, but I am really lacking in the tech department and have searched thoroughly for a fix to no avail.
This is seriously impacting my learning experience as a lot of my language learning is/was done via media resources. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I suspect it is probably due to a lack of support for Flash in the new OS. Have you tried installing VLC and the media plugin for browsers? Shot in the dark because I don't use Windows 10.
0 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

WalkingAlone13
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) German (B2) Finnish (beginner) Swedish (beginner) Polish (beginner)

Postby WalkingAlone13 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:03 pm

rdearman wrote:
WalkingAlone13 wrote:I recently got upgraded to Windows 10 and ever since I can no longer watch any of the embedded videos from youtube, nor can I watch anything on youtube...or anywhere where sound is involved. I realise this is down to Windows 10 and not due to the forum, but I am really lacking in the tech department and have searched thoroughly for a fix to no avail.

I suspect it is probably due to a lack of support for Flash in the new OS. Have you tried installing VLC and the media plugin for browsers? Shot in the dark because I don't use Windows 10.

Thanks for your help, Rdearman. :) I gave it a shot but it unfortunately didn't remedy the problem. It seems like a common problem with Windows 10 so I'm hoping some kind of update will be released that will sort it out. If not, I'm not really sure what I'll end up doing.
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:13 pm

WalkingAlone13 wrote:
rdearman wrote:

Thanks for your help, Rdearman. :) I gave it a shot but it unfortunately didn't remedy the problem. It seems like a common problem with Windows 10 so I'm hoping some kind of update will be released that will sort it out. If not, I'm not really sure what I'll end up doing.

It is reported as an Internet Explorer issue, you can either use Chrome. Or:

Fix:

settings->internet options->advanced->
Select: "Use Software rendering instead of GPU rendering"

After enabling that option and restarting IE everything *might* work fine.
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

WalkingAlone13
Orange Belt

Postby WalkingAlone13 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:19 pm

Thank you for your help :)

I tried more or less everything in the end and almost gave up. It's a problem that Microsoft have admitted to not having a current fix for, but they are aware of the problem and are continuing to work on it. It's something to do specifically with Coexant and Realtech(?) as well as a few others. A temporary fix for anyone that does experience the same problem as me is as follows;

windows key + x
device manager
sound, video and controllers
right click, uninstall + tick box to delete drivers
click to scan for hardware updates
should find "high definition audio device"

Now right click on speaker at the bottom right of screen
click "sounds"
click "playback"
click "speakers"
then "properties"
Now click "enhancements"
Tick the box for "diasable all enhancements"
Sound should now work but not doesn't recognise headphones.

However "unticking" the box is not advisable as it can crash. Note: that's why this is only a temp fix.

Just figured I'd share in case anyone else encounters the same problem. In the meantime, let's hope they can actually sort the drivers out and come up with a more long term fix.
0 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”