Request: in quote link back to original post

Discuss technical problems and features here
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Request: in quote link back to original post

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:25 am

Would love to see a link back to the original post in a quote. This mod can be seen here:

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1849585

For your consideration, thanks. 8-)
2 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Re: Request: in quote link back to original post

Postby arthaey » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:18 pm

Dot he Powers That Be look at the "post-love" count when determining which feature requests are popular? Or did I need to write this explicit +1 comment here? :)
0 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:38 pm

I do look at heart counts on feature requests! :-)

I looked into to plugin linked above, and it appears that the proposed plugin has two subtle technical issues:

1. It appears to be an old-school "module" for phpBB 3.0 and earlier. But phpBB 3.1 (which we're running) uses "extensions", which integrate much more cleanly with the main forum code.
  2. It requires manually patching the core forum code, which makes the forum much harder to maintain. It's not impossible to do this, but the barrier is about 10x higher than using a cleanly-isolated extension, because it makes it much harder to ever upgrade to newer versions of phpBB. We suspect that's one of the reasons the old forum's software is hard to upgrade.
Is there a clean, extension-based version of this that uses the new 3.1 extension APIs to hook itself in?

As for feature additions: I'm reading all the proposals, and I'll set aside some time to implement more soon!
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:50 am

emk wrote:I do look at heart counts on feature requests! :-)

I looked into to plugin linked above, and it appears that the proposed plugin has two subtle technical issues:

1. It appears to be an old-school "module" for phpBB 3.0 and earlier. But phpBB 3.1 (which we're running) uses "extensions", which integrate much more cleanly with the main forum code.
  2. It requires manually patching the core forum code, which makes the forum much harder to maintain. It's not impossible to do this, but the barrier is about 10x higher than using a cleanly-isolated extension, because it makes it much harder to ever upgrade to newer versions of phpBB. We suspect that's one of the reasons the old forum's software is hard to upgrade.
Is there a clean, extension-based version of this that uses the new 3.1 extension APIs to hook itself in?

As for feature additions: I'm reading all the proposals, and I'll set aside some time to implement more soon!

I'm fine with whatever long term approach is made - I agree that patching core should be avoided as much as possible.
I'll continue proposing functions and we can figure out how to review them, prioritize them, what not...

If there comes a point where we have this stable (no sql issues) and have set up a production and dev environment I might volunteer some time for development (I have php, CSS, DHTLM and forum experience). For the time being, I'm happy to toss out ideas.
0 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:38 pm

zenmonkey wrote:I'm fine with whatever long term approach is made - I agree that patching core should be avoided as much as possible.
I'll continue proposing functions and we can figure out how to review them, prioritize them, what not...

If there comes a point where we have this stable (no sql issues) and have set up a production and dev environment I might volunteer some time for development (I have php, CSS, DHTLM and forum experience). For the time being, I'm happy to toss out ideas.

We're definitely interested in managing the site's code an as open source project, and your aid is eagerly welcome. :-)

The current plan looks something like this:

1. Load test a new hosted, managed MySQL database for the forum. Our goal here is to get good performance and far fewer errors, without driving the monthly hosting budget too high.
  2. Get a clean copy of the code on GitHub and figure out a way to deploy it. Again, we're trying to keep the cost low without sacrificing performance or stability.
  3. Allow people to propose Pull Requests and otherwise contribute!
The trick is doing a really nice job of (1) and (2)—one which is reliable, fast and easy for us to maintain—without driving the cost up.
1 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:17 pm

sounds like a plan!
0 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”