Heart Broken

Discuss technical problems and features here
MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Heart Broken

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:46 am

The following message appeared when I tried giving a heart to RyanSmallwood's post Re: Reading for Film Studies, Tuesday, 21 July 2015, 11:20 am (viewtopic.php?t=712).

{"togle_action":"add","togle_post":"1489"}

The counter was not incremented.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Re: Heart Broken

Postby emk » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:24 am

Mysterious. Thanks for letting us know. If this occurs often, it would be nice to find steps to reproduce it on demand.
0 x

lone wolf
White Belt
Languages: Native: German
Fluent: English, French
Studied: Swedish, Russian
Learning: Hungarian, Latin

Postby lone wolf » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:03 am

This is the normal response when JavaScript is off. I get it because of the NoScript plugin. I have to return to the page and will see the incremented counter after reloading the page. If you don't mess with JavaScript settings in your browser and you see this response, I would guess that some external JavaScript library wasn't loaded. This would be similar to seeing a broken image indicator when an external image is not accessible.

Since it works for me without any JavaScript (but the way it looks will probably freak out everyone who doesn't know what is going on), it should work as well if the external libary cannot be loaded. What might have happened is that you tried to cast the vote an even number of times. The click on the icon will toggle your vote, i.e. an odd number of clicks will add your vote and an even number will remove it.
0 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:28 am

lone wolf wrote:This is the normal response when JavaScript is off. I get it because of the NoScript plugin. I have to return to the page and will see the incremented counter after reloading the page. If you don't mess with JavaScript settings in your browser and you see this response, I would guess that some external JavaScript library wasn't loaded. This would be similar to seeing a broken image indicator when an external image is not accessible.

Since it works for me without any JavaScript (but the way it looks will probably freak out everyone who doesn't know what is going on), it should work as well if the external libary cannot be loaded. What might have happened is that you tried to cast the vote an even number of times. The click on the icon will toggle your vote, i.e. an odd number of clicks will add your vote and an even number will remove it.

1. I do not mess with JavaScript settings.
2. Double-clicking does add and then subtract a vote, but it does not display an error message now.
3. I can't reproduce the error, though when it happened originally, the error message repeatedly appeared.
4. I am using Firefox 39.0 with Linux Mint 17.0.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

lone wolf
White Belt
Languages: Native: German
Fluent: English, French
Studied: Swedish, Russian
Learning: Hungarian, Latin

Postby lone wolf » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:19 pm

The voting system seems to use jQuery as the only JavaScript library, and it is read from the server-local "./assets" folder. There is no dependency on other domains that we aren't in control of. So the failure to load jQuery seems to be a long response time in the shared environment that the forum currently is in. Sooner or later an upgrade of the hosting plan will be due anyway, if only to get rid of the SQL connection errors. Then the issue with getting jQuery to load more quickly might just disappear automagically.
1 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”