Suspected Attempt at Illicit Log In

Discuss technical problems and features here
Speakeasy

Suspected Attempt at Illicit Log In

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:03 am

With the rarest of exceptions, I keep my Usernames and Passwords as confidential as I possibly can. I refuse all offers by websites, browsers, and the like to "remember me" the next time I log in.

So then, when logging in to this forum a few minutes ago, I was quite surprised to discover that there existed the "remembered" Username available for selection as "vltwnxgl" when logging in.

Had I accepted this "remembered" Username, which is not a creation of mine, and had I then entered my Password, would I have "confirmed" this new "remembered" identity under my IP? The whole thing smells fishy to me!
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Suspected Attempt at Illicit Log In

Postby rdearman » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:16 am

Speakeasy wrote:With the rarest of exceptions, I keep my Usernames and Passwords as confidential as I possibly can. I refuse all offers by websites, browsers, and the like to "remember me" the next time I log in.

So then, when logging in to this forum a few minutes ago, I was quite surprised to discover that there existed the "remembered" Username available for selection as "vltwnxgl" when logging in.

Had I accepted this "remembered" Username, which is not a creation of mine, and had I then entered my Password, would I have "confirmed" this new "remembered" identity under my IP? The whole thing smells fishy to me!

Remembered usernames and passwords are a function of the browser, not the server. So I would advice you to clear the cache on your browser to remove any old cookies, and to check your computer for "malware" the program malwarebytes is free and you can google for the download.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Speakeasy

Re: Suspected Attempt at Illicit Log In

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:11 am

rdearman wrote: Remembered usernames and passwords are a function of the browser, not the server. So I would advice you to clear the cache on your browser to remove any old cookies, and to check your computer for "malware" the program malwarebytes is free and you can google for the download.
Thank you for your prompt reply and for your assurances. Although I am a techno-peasant, I rather suspected that usernames and passwords were a function of the browser. Still, this event rattled me and, coupled with the fact that the forum has been the target of malicious events in the past, I thought it best to alert the highly-appreciated and over-worked techies. Thanks, also, for suggesting malwarebytes! I'll get right on to it.
1 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”