"Like" feature

Discuss technical problems and features here
Bluepaint
Brown Belt

"Like" feature

Postby Bluepaint » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:43 pm

Know what's weird? We can like our own posts. It strikes me as odd but we'll be looking to switch to a voting system at some point right?
0 x

Φιλόσοφος
Yellow Belt
Languages: Native: Spanish
Speaks: English
Reads: French, German, Italian
Studies: a couple dozen more

Re: "Like" feature

Postby Φιλόσοφος » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:53 pm

What I don't like is the "White Belt" designation under the username. What does karate have to do with language learning?

Maybe we could have something like the trophies from the old forum, but instead of them it could be the letters of the Greek alphabet, or something language-related, along with the total number of votes received.

And yes, being able to vote for your own posts is an error and should be fixed.
0 x

lone wolf
White Belt
Languages: Native: German
Fluent: English, French
Studied: Swedish, Russian
Learning: Hungarian, Latin

Postby lone wolf » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:08 pm

The fact that you can vote for your own posts is a result of the voting system being written in JavaScript. After you've logged in, only the server side knows your identity, but the JavaScript of the voting system runs inside your browser and doesn't have any information about your login. It is possible to pass this information from the server to the client, but it is the server side that would have to initiate this communication. So this is not a bug, but a design limitation. I wouldn't bet that there is a simple workaround.
1 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:08 pm

It doesn't really bother me that much that we can vote for our own posts. It's just like Facebook in the fact that you can like your own status, but everyone is able to see that (just hover over the number, and you can see who voted for it).

I also don't mind the belt status. It's an interesting way to see who has posts, and is great for new users to see who is active in the forum and who might be the best people to direct questions towards.
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:24 pm

I admit I preferred the anonymous votes on HTLAL.

I don't mind the belts because I used to do taekwondo :lol:
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Φιλόσοφος
Yellow Belt
Languages: Native: Spanish
Speaks: English
Reads: French, German, Italian
Studies: a couple dozen more

Postby Φιλόσοφος » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:47 pm

In my opinion it would be more fun to progress from άλφα to ωμέγα. If someone made it all the way maybe the names of the letters could appear in a different color, or have a + besides it, or something else.
0 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:07 pm

Numbers of posts does show who is more active, true, but that doesn't necessarily equate to who will give the best responses. We all went back to ground zero here when we migrated. When Iversen starts posting here, he'll start out with a white belt too. I would hate to see some newbie disrespecting him because of lack of awareness of who he is and his importance to our community. Same with Christina (solfrid), Ari, Tarvos, etc.
All have years of activity and thousands of votes for usefulness of their posts. This could be seen at a glance and tends to lend weight to their responses. It's just a matter of time before we see a long-standing HTLAL member dissed by someone who is unaware.

Also, those members who have been on HTLAL a long time tend to have maturing languages. They also may tire of answering questions about Assimil and Pimsleur, so, as time goes on, they tend to post less. Though the post numbers may be less, the quality is usually higher hanks to all that experience. The years on the forum and the vote total, seen at a glance, tend to lend more credence to their posts. We've lost that by going back to scratch.

I don't care about myself but perhaps a veteran status could be accorded to the most valued members from the old forum in the form of an icon or something next to the name similar to the trophy system, if not directly importing numbers form old HTLAL.
4 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:13 pm

iguanamon wrote:Numbers of posts does show who is more active, true, but that doesn't necessarily equate to who will give the best responses. We all went back to ground zero here when we migrated. When Iversen starts posting here, he'll start out with a white belt too. I would hate to see some newbie disrespecting him because of lack of awareness of who he is and his importance to our community. Same with Christina (solfrid), Ari, Tarvos, etc.
All have years of activity and thousands of votes for usefulness of their posts. This could be seen at a glance and tends to lend weight to their responses. It's just a matter of time before we see a long-standing HTLAL member dissed by someone who is unaware.

Also, those members who have been on HTLAL a long time tend to have maturing languages. They also may tire of answering questions about Assimil and Pimsleur, so, as time goes on, they tend to post less. Though the post numbers may be less, the quality is usually higher hanks to all that experience. The years on the forum and the vote total, seen at a glance, tend to lend more credence to their posts. We've lost that by going back to scratch.

I don't care about myself but perhaps a veteran status could be accorded to the most valued members from the old forum in the form of an icon or something next to the name similar to the trophy system, if not directly importing numbers form old HTLAL.

That is a good suggestion. I'll have a look at the admin backend and see if something like that is possible. Thanks for the suggestion!

However you do realize that there is a number of hearts beside your name in the sidebar? It shows how many people have liked your posts. This is very similar to the amount of likes you would get on HTLAL.com. So people who post good stuff will be rewarded with hearts. Obviously this doesn't take into account your historical record on HTLAL.com.
0 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:23 pm

When Iversen starts posting here, he'll start out with a white belt too. I would hate to see some newbie disrespecting him because of lack of awareness of who he is and his importance to our community.

Nobody in the world can disrespect Iversen, he is wonderful, great and very nice and kind. He’s also a genius. For sure he must have an icon like a golden trophy and called expert. He’s in Paris and Belgium, and he will visit the Esperanto congress.
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:19 pm

How do you see who "liked" a post?

I hovered over it, thinking that would work, but nothing happened. So I clicked on it, and that just made me "like" my own post.
0 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”