Using copied pictures

Discuss technical problems and features here
smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Using copied pictures

Postby smallwhite » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:10 am

Sometimes I see members using pictures that don't seem to be theirs in their profiles and posts. What is forum policy and general internet policy on this?

Forum Rules wrote:
Copyright violations: We hate receiving angry letters from lawyers almost as much as the ones from Her Majesty's Government. More importantly, many good language courses are made by small publishers and family companies like Assimil. We want to encourage these people to create more resources. Please do not share illegally copied materials, or link to sites which are primarily used for that purpose. Some external sites like YouTube have their own mechanisms for taking down content, and it's usually safe to link to short excerpts on these sites—but not complete movies or TV shows.

The administrators of this website will not tolerate the illegal distribution or links to the illegal distribution of copyrighted material. Encouraging the use of illegal copyrighted material is also prohibited. This forum operations under the UK copyright system and the courts in the UK routinely issue injunctions in order to regulate and legislate to reduce copyright infringement. More information can be found on the UK Government Website. You can find more information about "Fair Use" and exceptions under UK copyright on that website if you're unsure about sharing a small portion of copyrighted material for criticism, review or quotation.
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Using copied pictures

Postby rdearman » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:07 am

Our assumption is that people either own the photo or have permission or it is covered under the fair use portion of the copyright legislation. If it isn't and we are contacted by the copyright holder then it woild be removed.
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:23 pm

I am not a lawyer or a copyright expert, but I am really interested in this becaues there seems to be blurry lines here. I have posted a few pictures I've found on the internet by doinng a quick search, mostly of buildings, book covers etc. Am I breaking the law if I post the picture itself but not if I provide a link to the page with the picture? And what about Youtube videos, are they not covered by copyright rules? I would have thought that everything that is published and freely available on the net can be shared, referred to or copied as long as it is not for commercial use?

Sorry, don't want to turn this into a discussion or oblige rdearman to respond again, his reply was quite clear, but I think these are important questions as I am one who prefer to be on the right side of the law (most of the time).
1 x
Ich grolle nicht

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:25 pm

Some excerpts from various sources.
https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/law-using-free-images-found-online-3526354/

Copyright is a form of legal protection that is automatically assigned to content creators at the moment of creation. In other words, the moment you take a photograph, you own the copyright to it. You don’t have to register it with a special organisation, you don’t have to fill in a form or add a legal notice to the image. The rights to use, amend or sell that image are yours and yours alone.

You are also allowed to give away or sell those rights, if you wish - and that’s how many professional photographers make money; by selling rights to their work. That also means that no one else is allowed to use your work without your permission.

Many people assume that if content is online that it is "public domain" and that it's not copyrighted. That’s just a myth.

What if you’re a photographer who actually wants to give away your image rights to others? Creative Commons gives you an easy way to do that. Creative Commons licensing is inspired by open source and the GNU Project approach to software licensing. It allows you to select which permissions you want to give to people, for free.

With Creative Commons licensing you can give away all rights to your work, or just some of them. The site has an online form that helps you to configure exactly which of your rights you want to give away.

The most common licensing is an Attribution license, which lets anyone use your image in any way they like, as long as they give you credit. Which seems fair enough. All you should have to do is include a link back to the original page and to the creative commons license.

Creative Commons also makes it easier to find online imagery that you can use for free, with major search engines supporting the licensing structure.

When using Google Images:

Search for images using keywords as usual.
When results are returned click “Search Tools”
Choose “Usage Rights”. Select an option from the dropdown menu.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/small-business/openforum/articles/sharing-vs-stealing-5-myths-and-legal-truths-about-online-copyrights/
“Folks run into problems when they do more than just link to something online,” Koustenis says. "When you directly copy or display the actual copyrighted material—in whole or part—even if you also provide a link to the original content, you're likely engaging in copyright infringement.”

I Didn’t Know I Couldn’t Use That Content, so I Can’t Get in Trouble.

Legal Truth: Use that same argument with the cop who pulls you over for running a red light or driving under the influence, and let me know how that works out for you. Ignorance of the law doesn’t excuse you from the law.

When you steal stuff online, there are several actions that can be taken against you:

The content creator can sue you. Are you ready for a lawsuit? Costs can be hefty. You may be liable for damages that run into the thousands of dollars
Your website can be shut down if you host stolen content. If you post stolen content on your site, the copyright owner can file a DMCA Takedown Notice with your hosting company. Not only can they force you to remove the content, but your entire site might be shut down if you don’t comply.

There is in most copyright laws worldwide an exception for something called Fair Use. Fair use is normally when someone uses a small portion of the copyrighted material. Typically this is used by reviewers who might show clips from a movie, or a page of a book. The amount of material you can use under Fair Use rules varies from country to country and some don't have this exception at all. A still from a motion picture is normally considered fair use, but if the copyright holder doesn't like it you can be held accountable.
2 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:47 pm

Thank you for the reply. As I said I don't want to enter a discussion, one has to accept the copyright rules even if one thinks they are not fit for modern technology.

It still begs the question if, when reproducing a Youtube video here on the forum, or on my Facebook page, I am actually breaking copyright rules? After all I have not asked the creator for their permission to reproduce it.
0 x
Ich grolle nicht

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:54 pm

Ogrim wrote:Thank you for the reply. As I said I don't want to enter a discussion, one has to accept the copyright rules even if one thinks they are not fit for modern technology.

It still begs the question if, when reproducing a Youtube video here on the forum, or on my Facebook page, I am actually breaking copyright rules? After all I have not asked the creator for their permission to reproduce it.

YouTube has agreements with content providers just like the radio stations have for music. So for each viewing the content creator gets a revenue stream. In that example, the more people that view it the more money they get, so they aren't bothered. Having said that YouTube has a quite strict and responsive "Take down" system, so if a content owner reports content as in violation YouTube takes it down immediately (ditto Facebook). This is one of the reasons we're pretty relaxed about linking to a video on YouTube since after a take down all the links would be broken so they take it down for us too.
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:43 pm

If someone makes their own videos you can embed them. (they can disable the embedding feature if they want)
However if you suspect that some content is copyrighted, don't link to it. Especially audiobooks and films.
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”