Discuss technical problems and features here
AlexTG
Green Belt
Languages: Easy to Read: English(N), French, Spanish
Able to Read: German, Latin
Learning to Read: Japanese, Hindi/Urdu

Re: Developers & devops: An introduction thread

Postby AlexTG » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:46 am

I'm a software engineer by profession but I'm currently spending time out of the workforce to focus my life on art and learning. I worked in government research organisations, managing marine and hydrological data and building software for working with it.

Eventually my savings will run out and I'll have to start doing something useful with my life again :oops:. I'm in the opposite situation to garyb: programming used to be my day job but now I like to find ways to incorporate it into my spare time as a hobby, 40 hours a week is too much, 0 hours too little.
0 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:03 am

AlexTG wrote:I'm a software engineer by profession but I'm currently spending time out of the workforce to focus my life on art and learning. ... Eventually my savings will run out and I'll have to start doing something useful with my life again :oops:.

Hello, fellow sabbatical-ite! :)
0 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

numerodix
White Belt
Languages: Polish (native), Norwegian (native), English (native), Italian (C1), French (B2), Dutch (B1), Portuguese (studying), Mandarin (studying)

Postby numerodix » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:37 am

Next thread title: Why are there so many developers on sabbatical learning languages?

I am too. :) I'm taking some time off to study languages again, to read books, to play sports and enjoy life.
1 x

lone wolf
White Belt
Languages: Native: German
Fluent: English, French
Studied: Swedish, Russian
Learning: Hungarian, Latin

Postby lone wolf » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:23 am

So was I for the last year. I used this time to get into contrapuntal composition and wrote some pieces for guitar in baroque style. J.S.Bach was the greatest, so I analyzed his style (along with some Händel and D.Scarlatti) to the minute details. There is basically no chance to make a living out of that. I automated Twitter to get some audience, but it takes too long to gather a targeted following. Now my savings have run out and I have to get back to mundane tasks.

I think the question should not be why many language learners are IT people or have sabbaticals, because I doubt that this is true, but why forums attract such people.
0 x

numerodix
White Belt
Languages: Polish (native), Norwegian (native), English (native), Italian (C1), French (B2), Dutch (B1), Portuguese (studying), Mandarin (studying)

Postby numerodix » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:40 am

lone wolf wrote:So was I for the last year. I used this time to get into contrapuntal composition and wrote some pieces for guitar in baroque style. J.S.Bach was the greatest, so I analyzed his style (along with some Händel and D.Scarlatti) to the minute details. There is basically no chance to make a living out of that. I automated Twitter to get some audience, but it takes too long to gather a targeted following. Now my savings have run out and I have to get back to mundane tasks.

I think the question should not be why many language learners are IT people or have sabbaticals, because I doubt that this is true, but why forums attract such people.

Wow, that is awesome! Do you have any links to your music?
0 x

lone wolf
White Belt
Languages: Native: German
Fluent: English, French
Studied: Swedish, Russian
Learning: Hungarian, Latin

Postby lone wolf » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:58 pm

The music was only on my website, which I've taken offline for the time being. I just created a soundcloud account and uploaded 3 tracks. I haven't used soundcloud before, but this link should work:

https://soundcloud.com/maxkarios/tracks

The Allemande from Suite 1 is the most "bachy" piece. The lower voice imitates the upper voice in quite a few bars. This gives the piece a bit of a fugal sound without actually being a fugue. The modulations are tightly integrated into the fabric of the piece. This is harder to achieve than you would think. I also copied Bach's way of using the Neapolitan sixth at the end of the A part to get a chromatic melody line.

The Gigue from Suite 1 has a quite experimental B part. It modulates stepwise from e minor to c minor, then after some bars in c minor goes directly to e minor. This is 4 degrees in the circle of fifths and quite untypical for baroque. The technique is based on chromatic voice-leading and was developed only in the 19th century. But it integrates surprisingly well with the baroque idiom.

What I use in almost all of my pieces is dominant chords with the 7th in the bass. This is a big part of the "Bach" sound and for some reason was hardly used by any other composers.
1 x

Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Postby Stelle » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:03 pm

lone wolf wrote: i.e. herding cats.

Sounds like we're in the same field of work! (says the first grade teacher)
1 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:39 pm

numerodix wrote:Next thread title: Why are there so many developers on sabbatical learning languages?

Haha, true! I suppose when you're on sabbatical, you have the time to be more active on a forum too, yeah? ;)
0 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:47 am

numerodix wrote:Next thread title: Why are there so many developers on sabbatical learning languages?

I am too. :) I'm taking some time off to study languages again, to read books, to play sports and enjoy life.

Incidentally I've been considering taking some time off too, to relax, travel a bit, and focus on my interests. Full-time software development work really wears you down, mentally and physically, so a sabbatical is quite appealing!
0 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”