Scandinavian (a: N>D>S)
-- along the way --
French, Italian
-- can read with dict --
Old Norse
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17055

Links

Postby daegga » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:44 pm

Could we get links to open in a separate tab instead of in the same? At least for outlinks, so we don't leave the forum when clicking a link?
0 x
jag nöjer mig med tystnad

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Re: Links

Postby emk » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:07 pm

daegga wrote:Could we get links to open in a separate tab instead of in the same? At least for outlinks, so we don't leave the forum when clicking a link?

Now there's a notoriously heated discussion I have no desire to involve myself in. :) No seriously, it's a very good question. Technically speaking, it appears that we can this by editing the theme file. Editing the theme file is apparently discouraged for reasons of maintainability, but we can do it if we have a sufficiently good reason.

As for whether we should make links open in another tab, I strongly encourage people who are not me to discuss this decision and come to some sort of consensus. ;-) rdearman may also want to weigh in as an administrator, especially because this involves theme editing and not a nicely-isolated plugin. It's not a big deal, but somebody has to keep track of that stuff and we're making it up as we experiment.
0 x

kimchizzle
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French
Studying Spanish, Dutch, Russian
On the radar, Estonian, Ukrainian, Cantonese, Korean, Swedish
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... f=15&t=779

Postby kimchizzle » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:34 pm

Personally I think outlinks would be nice as a separate tab, if it doesn't cause problems down the road. As for inlinks, I don't mind them being in the same tab. Either way, if making links open as a separate tab causes problems for future maintainability, I am totally OK just right clicking a link and choosing to manually open it in a separate tab.
0 x
Spanish Duolingo: 42 / 100 Dutch Duolingo: 4 / 100
Feel free to help correct any of my languages, except my native tongue. :shock:

AlexTG
Green Belt
Languages: Easy to Read: English(N), French, Spanish
Able to Read: German, Latin
Learning to Read: Japanese, Hindi/Urdu

Postby AlexTG » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:43 pm

I would hate to have internal links open in a new tab. I'd prefer out-links to just open normally as well, I like to have full control over where a tab opens, but I wouldn't mind too much.

In all modern desktop browsers you can hold down ctrl when you click on a link and it will open in a new tab.
0 x

sctroyenne
Orange Belt
Location: Montreal, QC (moved from the SF Bay Area living my dream!)
Languages: French (C2), Irish (beg-intermediate), Spanish (intermediate but mostly passive)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=767

Postby sctroyenne » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:37 pm

I'm so used to just right-clicking and opting to open in a new tab that I don't even think about it (result: I have way too many tabs open all the time).
1 x

Hrhenry
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Spanish (C2), Italian (C2), Catalan, Galician, Portuguese, Norwegian

Studies: Turkish (B2), Polish, Ojibwe, Indonesian

Postby Hrhenry » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:43 am

AlexTG wrote:In all modern desktop browsers you can hold down ctrl when you click on a link and it will open in a new tab.

It also works on android with Chrome/Firefox/Dolphin/etc. devices by touching and holding the link.

R.
==
0 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”