Emoji Support?

Discuss technical problems and features here
gekko
Languages: English (N), Thai (i), Japanese (b), Dutch (b), Spanish (b)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=5587

Emoji Support?

Postby gekko » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:38 am

Hello,

Though I know I do not post here much, I believe that emojis would add to discussion so that they are less "monotone" as just text only. It kind of adds a playful and modern look to conversations/discussions as well.

I've seen that this forum runs phpBB and there are a few plug-ins that people have made to insert emoji into the forums. Though I don't exactly know how these forums work in the backend, I'm wondering if this is possible. I've googled and found a few, however I don't know enough if they are compatible with the forums:
0 x
: 26 / 123 Dutch Duolingo Tree
: 4 / 17 Colloquial Dutch Chapters
: 3 / 27 Japanese for Everyone Lessons
: 1 / 65 LingoDeer

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: Emoji Support?

Postby Serpent » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:50 pm

We do have old-style emoticons :mrgreen: :P 8-) :!: :lol:
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

DangerDave2010
Orange Belt
Languages: gibberish (N)

Postby DangerDave2010 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:51 pm

Emoji is on Unicode for ages, how come the characters are not supported?

edit: on windows you can right click on the taskbar, and select the virtual keyboard to type the emojis anywhere.
0 x

gekko

Postby gekko » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:52 pm

Serpent wrote:We do have old-style emoticons :mrgreen: :P 8-) :!: :lol:

yes, but there are at least 1000+ emoji, so there's a wider range of "emotion" that an emoji can capture compared to the old-style phpBB smilies.
0 x

Finolia
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C1), French (B2), Spanish (A2), Vietnamese (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7587

Postby Finolia » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:56 pm

gekko wrote:yes, but there are at least 1000+ emoji, so there's a wider range of "emotion" that an emoji can capture compared to the old-style phpBB smilies.

Although I am an emoji-person, 1000+ emojis would be quite overwhelming, wouldn't it? ^^" I would be occupied with looking for the perfect smiley instead of actually writing xD (and you can always use your own, as I just did xP ;D...)
2 x
Please feel free to correct whatever I write :P

Elementary Vietnamese: 8 / 14

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:59 pm

I don't really like ( :evil: ) emojis, but I can see them :!: . However when I tested ( :?: )whether I could include the smileys shown to the right ( :arrow: ) in the edit window I found out I couldn't ( :( ). At some point I may have turned the possibility off ( :oops: ), but now I found ( :geek: ) the relevant button in ( :P ) my User Control Panel under Board preferences, Posting defaults ( :idea: ), and I have activated them ( :P ).

But I still prefer not to use them ( :mrgreen: ) ... although having a thousand of them might make it easier ( :? ) to find one that related to whatever I'm writing about ( :roll: ). Do you have emojis showing dinosaurs or supernovas or indicating a liability to use oldfashioned fountain pens?
4 x

gekko

Postby gekko » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:49 pm

I don't mean to have emojis to overload someone's writing just full of emojis or having those copy pasta memes you can find on the internet, but I posted this as a suggestion for those who like to include emojis in their writing. It would just be like a huge extension of the smilies already included in phpBB.

Iversen wrote:Do you have emojis showing dinosaurs or supernovas or indicating a liability to use oldfashioned fountain pens?

I mean, if someone feels the need to show dinosaurs and supernovas to indicate a liability to use old-fashioned fountain pens, they can have that option of putting those emoji in their replies.

Finolia wrote:Although I am an emoji-person, 1000+ emojis would be quite overwhelming, wouldn't it? ^^" I would be occupied with looking for the perfect smiley instead of actually writing xD (and you can always use your own, as I just did xP ;D...)

Usually an emoji input source has a search function so you can search keywords that may relate to the emoji you're trying to find. i.e. search "dinosaur" to try to find dinosaur emojis. I know at least for mobile and OSX has the search function, and if emojis are able to be implemented using the GitHub plugins people wrote, there is a search bar (or at least I remember one of them having one). An example of the OSX Emojis & Symbols Input window, with the unicode emojis showing up under "Unicode Name":

2 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”