Discuss technical problems and features here
Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Email Issues

Postby Carmody » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:47 am

On a totally unrelated issue to that dictée website I would like to ask a personal question.

I am corresponding with a retired teacher in Nantes, France through Conversation Exchange. She has suggested that we move off that platform to private emails so as to exchange articles, etc. We have exchanged and tried each other's emails but nothing gets through on either side.

Her email is xxxx.xxx@orange.fr and mine is xxx.xxx@gmail.com, but nothing gets through on either side. Is there something we can do?

Thanks.
0 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2017 Les Voyageurs

Postby DaveBee » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:58 am

Carmody wrote:I am corresponding with a retired teacher in Nantes, France through Conversation Exchange. She has suggested that we move off that platform to private emails so as to exchange articles, etc. We have exchanged and tried each other's emails but nothing gets through on either side.

Her email is xxxx.xxx@orange.fr and mine is xxx.xxx@gmail.com, but nothing gets through on either side. Is there something we can do?

Thanks.
1. Have your checked your junk mail folder?
2. I think Orange was bought by another firm "EE everywhere"(?) that might have changed the orange.fr one, do your emails to her bounce back?
0 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2017 Les Voyageurs

Postby Carmody » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:06 am

DaveBee
1. Have your checked your junk mail folder?
2. I think Orange was bought by another firm "EE everywhere"(?) that might have changed the orange.fr one, do your emails to her bounce back?
Yes, I have checked my junk mail folder..nothing.
Yes, I heard about Orange in other countries, but I don't think that supposedly affected France.

Oh my...
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Email Issues

Postby rdearman » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:11 am

Carmody wrote:On a totally unrelated issue to that dictée website I would like to ask a personal question.

I am corresponding with a retired teacher in Nantes, France through Conversation Exchange. She has suggested that we move off that platform to private emails so as to exchange articles, etc. We have exchanged and tried each other's emails but nothing gets through on either side.

Thanks.

I have moved your messages and response to it's own thread in technical support. Although this isn't an IT support forum, I'll try to give you some pointers.
  1. Are you using the web-interface at https://mail.google.com/ to access your account, or an e-mail client or mobile device? If not the web-interface, switch to it now before moving on to the rest of the list.
  2. Have you looked in the “All Mail” label for the missing messages? What about “Trash” (or Bin, but not [imap]/Trash)? What about “Spam”?
  3. Have you used the Search Mail function (with the term “in:anywhere”) at the top of the page to look for the missing messages?
  4. Do you have Settings->Inbox->Inbox Type set to anything other than the "Default" view? Have you check the other tabs if you use the tabbed Inbox.
  5. Are there any filters listed in: Settings -> Filters ?
  6. Are there any forwarding accounts setup in: Settings -> Forwarding ?
  7. Did the senders get any sort of bounced/failed/rejected messages returned to them?
  8. Is the account full? Looking below the inbox, how much space, out of how much total, does it say is being used?
  9. Have you tried sending yourself a test-message from a non-Gmail account? Have you tried sending a test-message to that non-Gmail account and replying? Does either direction work?

If you've done all of these things and you're getting email then the problem is probably on the French end of the conversation. Do you get any error messages back from them?
6 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Re: Email Issues

Postby Carmody » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:45 pm

Rick

I apologize for asking a technical question.

Thanks for the advice.

She got a new email address at orange.fr and all is fine now.
1 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”