Onscreen Appearance of LLORG

Discuss technical problems and features here
Speakeasy

Onscreen Appearance of LLORG

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:01 pm

Could anyone help me with the onscreen appearance of LLORG? A couple of months ago, on the advice of my local computer service centre, I ceased using Microsoft Explorer and began using Google Chrome. I did not perceive a significant difference between the two browsers for most applications. Then, about a month ago, there was a sudden and significant decrease in the facility with which I was able to manage bookmarks on Google Chrome. Although I grumbled quite a bit, given that I had invested a lot of time updating my bookmarks, coupled with the purported greater level of internet security of Google Chrome over Microsoft Explorer, I continued with the former. And then, when I opened the LLORG this morning, I was greeted by the onscreen image below! I opened the LLORG under Microsoft Explorer and the onscreen image is as it should be. Is there any way that I can use Google Chrome and recover the LLORG onscreen image? Please bear in mind that I am a techo-peasant!

IMAGES
LLORG under Google Chrome
LLORG under Microsoft Explorer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Re: Onscreen Appearance of LLORG

Postby Josquin » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:18 pm

Go to the User Control Panel, then click on "Board Preferences" and choose your preferred theme under "My Board Style".
2 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:04 pm

Hello, Josquin. Vielen, vielen, vielen Dank! I appreciate that you are offering your kind assistance on a volunteer basis; however, I wonder if there is something missing in the options available to me. Here they are:

Digi
prosilver
we_universal

The "Digi" option yields an veritable psychadelic screen that is both visually unappealing and which hides some the information that usually appears onscreen . The "we_universal" yields the misaligned mess in the first image attached to my question above. The "prosilver" option cleans up the screen (see image below) but does not return it to the more appealing version that I have viewing since July, 2015. Should there be another option or do you, and all of the other LLORG members, seen the onscreen presentation as shown below? Merci!

In addition, curiously, I seem to have lost the authority to "like" others posts!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Postby Xmmm » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:51 pm

I'm using Chrome right now and this website looks fine to me. I see the grey banner with the hieroglyphics, etc.

To be sure, when you installed Chrome, did you download the latest from chrome.google.com? And leave all settings as default?

You could try uninstall/reinstall Chrome, too.

If all else fails, you could try Firefox ...
0 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

Speakeasy

Re: Onscreen Appearance of LLORG (virus ???)

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:36 pm

Hello, Xmmm. Thank you for your comments. I am, perhaps, the most inept person in the world when it comes to working with computers.

As to the Chrome, it was the owner of my local computer service centre who installed it about two months ago and I assume that he downloaded the latest version. In any event, the problem that I am experiencing with the onscreen presentation of the LLORG began only this morning. Up until that time, everything looked quite normal. Following Josquin's advice, I managed to return the onscreen appearance to something resembling, but not quite exactly, the one that I should be seeing. However, during the interval between responding to Josquin's post and reading your own, I turned off my computer and, having turned in back on again, I opened the LLORG and the original problem has returned (please refer to the disjointed image in my initial post). So then, something has definitely gone awry here! Either my profile has been infected with a virus, or Chrome is playing games with me.

Thanks, once again, for your suggestions. I would "upvote" your comments, but I not no longer have this privilege. In any event, it's beginning to look like I'm due for another visit to my local computer service centre ... $$$$$$$$$$$ !!!!!!!
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:00 pm

The grey theme is we_universal. I don't know why it's broken for you :( I don't think this has anything to do with viruses.
The problem with the "like" function is probably related to that as well.

Do you use any Chrome extensions? Also if Chrome is asking you to install an update, try that.
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:18 pm

Hello, Serpent! Thank you for following this thread, I appreciate that you have many other things to do with your time.

Curiously, a few moments ago, when I opened the LLORG, everything was back to "normal" and, when I saw your name as the person who had most recently posted under this discussion thread, I assumed that you were posting a message advising me that you had discovered the source of the anomaly and had fixed it.

However, when I opened your post, the LLORG screen presentation shifted quickly back to the "new normal" without my having made any changes to my Board Preferences! Nevertheless, I seem to have recovered the privilege of "liking" posts.

By the way, the "we_universal" yields a disjointed onscreen presentation for me (see the very first image in my initial post) whereas the "prosilver" yields a cleaned-up version; neither are the standard grey image that I have become acustomed to since July 2015. This is WEIRD!

As to Chrome, I don't even know what Chrome extensions are and I have never been requested by Chrome to authorize updates; they seem to occur in the background.
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:34 pm

More news. The onscreen image seems to be "toggling" on its own amongst the various possibilites.

I just updated the Board Preferences to "we_universal" (which had been yielding the disjointed image) and I am now back to the standard grey image ... for however long this will last! As I noted earlier, I have not been experiencing this problem with Microsoft Explorer.

Perhaps this is all but a "test run" orchestrated by an occult international organisation in their final drive to dominate the world.
0 x

Ingaræð
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (heritage)
Learning: Russian, French, German, Mandarin, Arabic, Spanish.
Mostly forgotten: Italian, Welsh.

Postby Ingaræð » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:03 pm

I don't use Chrome, but I had a similar issue with Firefox and NoScript the other month: FF did a major update, and then there were a lot of background updates (and display changes/'like' issues) while the NoScript developer was trying to fix everything. Maybe there are some background updates going on for Chrome or any extensions...

Speakeasy wrote:Perhaps this is all but a "test run" orchestrated by an occult international organisation in their final drive to dominate the world.

...but it's probably that. :shock:
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:10 pm

If there's something we can do, it probably requires admin access (so only rdearman and emk).
If it breaks again, it's probably better to just switch to another style (when browsing as opposed to troubleshooting).

Oh and clearing the cache might help!
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”