Onscreen Appearance of LLORG

Discuss technical problems and features here
Speakeasy

Re: Onscreen Appearance of LLORG

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:38 pm

Thank you, one and all, for responding to my pleas for assistance. The problem with the onscreen appearance of the LLORG seems to have resolved itself. Perhaps the source was background updates in Chrome, afterall. Then again, perhaps it was a hardware issue that is destined to recur; I've bounced my computer off the floor a couple of times over the past year (although not lately) and it is possible that sophisticated, delicate, electronic devices such as my laptop eventually find a way of expressing their discontent with such rough treatment.
1 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:56 am

:lol: Sometimes my mum's computer problems resolve themselves mysteriously as soon as I appear :ugeek:
Speakeasy wrote:Then again, perhaps it was a hardware issue that is destined to recur; I've bounced my computer off the floor a couple of times over the past year (although not lately) and it is possible that sophisticated, delicate, electronic devices such as my laptop eventually find a way of expressing their discontent with such rough treatment.
They always know where it hurts most :lol:
But seriously, no, such a specific problem can't be due to hardware.
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:48 am

The thing you are describing is most often caused by something called CSS, or cascading style sheets. When a webpage loads does the following steps.

1. When a connection is open, the HTTP request is sent to the host server from your laptop.
  2. The host forwards the request to the server software (most often Apache) configured to listen on the specified port
  3. The server inspects the request (most often only the path), and launches the server plugin needed to handle the request (corresponding to the server language you use, PHP, Java, .NET, Python?)
  4. The plugin gets access to the full request, and starts to prepare a HTTP response.
  5. To construct the response a database is accessed. A database search is made, based on parameters in the path (or data) of the request
  6. Data from the database, together with other information the plugin decides to add, is combined into a long string of text (HTML).
  7. The plugin combines that data with some meta data (in the form of HTTP headers), and sends the HTTP response back to the browser.
  8. The browser receives the response, and parses the HTML in the response
  9. A DOM tree is built out of the broken HTML
  10. New requests are made to the server for each new resource that is found in the HTML source (typically images, style sheets, and JavaScript files). Go back to step 3 and repeat for each resource.
  11. Stylesheets are parsed, and the rendering information in each gets attached to the matching node in the DOM tree
  12. Javascript is parsed and executed, and DOM nodes are moved and style information is updated accordingly
  13. The browser renders the page on the screen according to the DOM tree and the style information for each node
  14. You see the page on the screen

At any point in the above something can go wrong. Also each browser has their own version of a "render engine" which is used to parse all the CSS, Javascript, HTML, etc.. Because each browser is different things which work in one browser may not work in another, or even a different version of the same browser. However, browsers are updated all the time, along with the render engine it uses. Although Chrome is very popular, it's render engine Blink isn't the best IMHO, I think the Geko engine used by Firefox is probably more strict regarding standards and rendering implementation.

You can try downloading Firefox here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/new/ and see if it solves your problems.

Since your the only person experiencing the issue we can safely assume the problem is local to your PC. So, there really isn't anything we can do for you from here.

EDIT: Oh, and firefox doesn't send your information to the Google Mothership. :)
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:11 pm

rdearman wrote: The thing you are describing is most often caused by something called CSS, or cascading style sheets ... Since your the only person experiencing the issue we can safely assume the problem is local to your PC. So, there really isn't anything we can do for you from here.
Thank you very much for the detailled explanation, which was so well crafted that even I understood!

rdearman wrote: ... Oh, and firefox doesn't send your information to the Google Mothership.
They want you to believe this! :D
0 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”