Discord server

Discuss technical problems and features here
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: Discord server

Postby zenmonkey » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:08 pm

crush wrote:For Discord you make your own "server" and within that server you can have different levels like admins, staff, moderators, etc. with different permissions, similar to the forum here. You can also create different sections/channels, including voice channels. It would work well in place of the 'multilingual' forum and i think would be nice for study groups as well.

EDIT: As an example, i set up this server:
https://discord.gg/kHpPB89

I know this was a while back, but I just stumbled on to it.
This looks interesting - and might be a nice place for active study groups.

Or even a slack workplace. The nice thing about discord/slack is no need to manage the server. It would be as easy as adding a link from LL.ORG to the channel...
Last edited by zenmonkey on Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Sgt Schultz
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Main focus: Spanish (B2)
For Fun: French(A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3797

Postby Sgt Schultz » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:14 pm

zenmonkey wrote:
crush wrote:For Discord you make your own "server" and within that server you can have different levels like admins, staff, moderators, etc. with different permissions, similar to the forum here. You can also create different sections/channels, including voice channels. It would work well in place of the 'multilingual' forum and i think would be nice for study groups as well.

EDIT: As an example, i set up this server:

I know this was a while back, but I just stumbled on to it.
This looks interesting - and might be a nice place for active study groups.

Or even a slack workplace. The nice thing about discord/slack is now need to manage the server. It would be as easy as adding a link from LL.ORG to the channel...

I second Slack. We've been using it at work for a couple of years. I could see it being useful to study groups here.
0 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Postby brilliantyears » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:49 pm

I love the idea of a Discord and just joined the LLorg one :D

Having used both Slack and Discord, Discord is definitely my favourite of the two.
0 x

crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Postby crush » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:57 pm

I also prefer Discord, Slack just feels slower and more bloated to me. I've used both as well and have gradually stopped using Slack other than logging in every few weeks to catch up. I wouldn't be against a Slack group, though i probably wouldn't use it much.
1 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:09 am

I don't see too much value in creating more communication channels. Have seen at other places that too many ways made everything overly complicated, especially, if you cannot (or don't want to) use one of them.

Something such as a mumble server makes some sense, as the forum doesn't support speech. I also see value in some real-time chat as well. But I think IRC would suffice for that as you can have as many channels as you want and open new temporary ones, when you need them. For anything beyond that...

I personally have never used Discord, so I have absolutely no idea, how it works. But Slack I have used and I wouldn't want it for this forum, as it would more likely take content away that would have otherwise ended up on the forum.
1 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:16 pm

I've seen three of these attempts to make chatrooms off a bulletin board forum, and every time the chatrooms changed into something quite different with a distinct culture of their own, as certain interests or opinions develop among the chatroom regulars. Then some users who are regulars on the chatroom abandon the forum for the chatroom culture... which I'm not saying is necessarily a detriment for the forum, since the cultures are rather incompatible by that point. And I don't see how it could be any other way, since the forum doesn't get to see the conversations in the chatroom, and even the moderation might be different.

This is a bit of an extreme example perhaps, but consider my shock when another language learning forum once had a Skype chatroom splinter off, and I was told by the chatroom regulars, years later when I discovered it, that yes the Skype group had the name of the forum but now it was mostly a drugs and esotericism chatroom. My brother once joined the chatroom of a forum about a certain videogame, and as the years passed, the number of chatroom regulars dwindled until there were only about six friends left, and nobody even plays the videogame anymore.

I did abandon a forum once for a splinter chatroom where I'm still a regular (not the drugs chatroom!), by the way.

I'm not saying it'd be a bad idea to create a parallel LLorg chatroom, but it should be born in mind that at least some cultural differences are likely to occur...
0 x

crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Postby crush » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:32 pm

Well I made the chatroom earlier this year:

There are a few forum members on there. In my opinion, one of the big potentials for the server would be practicing target languages (the "multilingual room" threads can be a bit hard to find and i think the chat room format would work much better for those anyway) as well as for teams in language challenges to have more regular contact and be less likely to drop out.

For folks who regularly use Discord anyway (from the looks of it, not a majority here ;) ) it's there if you want it, not terribly useful for the time being but at least it's there.
5 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:29 pm

I'm one of those that have to be pulled kicking and screaming into a new technology, so I pretty much ignored this thread when it started. But Benny Lewis has pulled his groups from Facebook and moved them to Discord, so I guess I'm going to have to learn this one. :(

I have to join the Bootcamp group at Discord this week, so if I get that figured out, I'll join this one too.
0 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”