Topic disapproved: "PlayPhrase: search and play phrases from movies and audiobooks"

Discuss technical problems and features here
kelciour
White Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (self-study)

Topic disapproved: "PlayPhrase: search and play phrases from movies and audiobooks"

Postby kelciour » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:23 pm

Hello. My topic with link - https://github.com/kelciour/playphrase has been disapproved and I don't know why. I very careful read guidelines on self-promotion and think that my topic falls under these categories:

1. "Free, personal projects will be given much more leeway. And open source software projects (those which may be freely shared and modified by their users) are almost always acceptable."

2. "She wants to create a technical support thread for users of her software."

I don't know who is moderators to write about this so I decided to create topic here. Thank you.
0 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Re: Topic disapproved: "PlayPhrase: search and play phrases from movies and audiobooks"

Postby emk » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:20 pm

kelciour wrote:Hello. My topic with link - https://github.com/kelciour/playphrase has been disapproved and I don't know why.

Hello, I'm a moderator.

I looked in the moderator history and I didn't see your previous post. This may simply be because I can't see disapproved posts after they've been disapproved. The phpBB forum software can be weird like that.

Anyway, I took a more detailed look at playphrase, and it looks like a useful open source tool. As far as I can tell, it does comply with our guidelines on promoting things you've done (and indeed people here might find it useful!). We do have a policy of approving almost all open source software related to language learning, because anybody can use or improve it freely and there's almost never any commercial motivation causing people to promote it inappropriately.

Please be aware that moderators sometimes make mistakes! We may misunderstand a post, especially if it contains links and it was made by a new user. We get a fair bit of spam for really low-quality commercial language learning sites, and sometimes we might delete the spam too quickly. We try to avoid false positives but we're not perfect. My apologies!
3 x

kelciour
White Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (self-study)

Re: Topic disapproved: "PlayPhrase: search and play phrases from movies and audiobooks"

Postby kelciour » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:46 pm

Thank you, emk. I'll post it again. And my apologies too. It probably looked like a spam because I thought that topic title will be sufficient and provide only link to GitHub and two videos on YouTube with illustration of how program works.
0 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:53 pm

kelciour wrote:It probably looked like a spam because I thought that topic title will be sufficient and provide only link to GitHub and two videos on YouTube with illustration of how program works.

Yes, we are much less likely to make moderation mistakes if you include some text explaining what a program is and why it's useful. :-) Also, this will help people decide whether they want to play your videos or download your program.

Anyway, your further posts should be automatically approved without needing any help from a moderator.
1 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”