Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Re: PASSWORD Security

Postby Cainntear » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:17 am

rdearman wrote:
Josquin wrote:Maybe, you could ask for how many centimetres a metre has instead? Or how many minutes an hour has?

The problem is that bots can use google too. So anything which turns up in the very first google result is used. Which is why we don't use math questions like 1+2= because google will tell the bot the answer. I've tried to come up with questions which a human would need to respond.

The question asked me to add the number of inches in a foot to the number of wheels on a bicycle. I don't think centimetres in a metre would be any more or less bot-friendly than inches in a foot within that context.

Brun Ugle wrote:I didn’t mean random languages. :roll: I meant that the question would match whatever language the person had set as their interface language.

Except the captcha is present before the user is even logged in (notice how you have to reenter your password as well as answering the captcha), so the server can't use their profile at all.
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:02 pm

Cainntear wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:I didn’t mean random languages. :roll: I meant that the question would match whatever language the person had set as their interface language.

Except the captcha is present before the user is even logged in (notice how you have to reenter your password as well as answering the captcha), so the server can't use their profile at all.

Oh, OK. I almost never have to do it, so I'm not very familiar with it. (I hope I didn't just jinx myself by saying that.)
0 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:23 pm

Those pesky captcha questions seem to have disappeared for me, so thank you to whoever made that happen :)

Edit: Maybe not :lol:
0 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:05 am

Spoonary wrote:Those pesky captcha questions seem to have disappeared for me, so thank you to whoever made that happen :)

Edit: Maybe not :lol:

Hopefully that can actually happen soon(ish). I have a plan! Sort of.
1 x

Zireael
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: Polish
C2: English
B2: Spanish
Somewhere I don't know: German
Beginner: Arabic, Polish Sign Language
Wanderlusting: Japanese, Russian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=815

Postby Zireael » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:56 pm

I keep getting captcha questions, too. Fortunately they have been easy to solve, but what worries me is that they are accompanied by the message that I have exceeded the number of login attempts. I haven't logged in in roughly a year, and I logged earlier today to be asked, and right now to be asked again...
0 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:31 pm

Zireael wrote:I keep getting captcha questions, too. Fortunately they have been easy to solve, but what worries me is that they are accompanied by the message that I have exceeded the number of login attempts. I haven't logged in in roughly a year, and I logged earlier today to be asked, and right now to be asked again...

It's a technical issue, I wouldn't worry too much.
0 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”