Anki 2.0.44 crashes. No addons installed.

Discuss technical problems and features here
User avatar
astromule
Green Belt
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:51 am
Location: Argentina
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), French, Portuguese, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, German, Russian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=794&start=240
x 266

Anki 2.0.44 crashes. No addons installed.

Postby astromule » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:42 pm

Hi! This is a technical problem regarding our beloved Anki. I'm creating simple cards:

sideA: text
sideB: text + audio from an mp3 file.

I'm synchronizing with AnkiWeb, I have Windows 8 and I don't have any addons installed. I'd love to give more information about the issue, but the windows only says "Anki has stopped". Currently I'm working with two decks that I made myself. Is there any way to search for bugs in the cards? In the Anki sub in Reddit the suggested me to create another profile, but wouldn't I lose my scheduled cards that way?

I've tried installing the 2.1 Beta version, but I lose my progress and tags with it.

Thank you very much in advance.
1 x

User avatar
Xenops
Blue Belt
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:33 pm
Location: Boston
Languages: English (N), French (A2), Japanese (rusty A2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?p=48718#p48718
x 941
Contact:

Re: Anki 2.0.44 crashes. No addons installed.

Postby Xenops » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:46 pm

astromule wrote:Hi! This is a technical problem regarding our beloved Anki. I'm creating simple cards:

sideA: text
sideB: text + audio from an mp3 file.

I'm synchronizing with AnkiWeb, I have Windows 8 and I don't have any addons installed. I'd love to give more information about the issue, but the windows only says "Anki has stopped". Currently I'm working with two decks that I made myself. Is there any way to search for bugs in the cards? In the Anki sub in Reddit the suggested me to create another profile, but wouldn't I lose my scheduled cards that way?

I've tried installing the 2.1 Beta version, but I lose my progress and tags with it.

Thank you very much in advance.


I'm sorry to read that! I lost about 200 cards last month, with a different issue. Currently my deck on my Mac is working okay.

You can create a new profile and not loose the old one: but the cards won't switch over. My computer automatically does backups of Anki (it might be just an Anki thing), so you might have backups some where in your computer?
1 x
: 32 / 113 Assimil New French with Ease
: 7 / 52 French in Action


Check out my comic at: http://rosamondgrey.smackjeeves.com/

lusan
Yellow Belt
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:25 pm
Location: Greensboro, NC, USA
Languages: Spanish(Native), English, Polish(learning)
x 86

Re: Anki 2.0.44 crashes. No addons installed.

Postby lusan » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:38 pm

I have been dealing with this create a new profile for more than 1 year. Initially I got nervous, now I do not care. I just close it a couple time and the problem is gone until the next time that might be several weeks later. It seems to be fake news!? ja ja ja... :lol:
1 x
: 11819 / 20000 Passive words/20k
: 1404 / 3000 Active words-Expressions/4k
: 3143 / 4000 Mini dialogues/4k

Online
MorkTheFiddle
Blue Belt
Posts: 534
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:59 pm
Location: usa
Languages: English (N). Relearning German. Read (only) French and Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5680&p=70021#p70021
x 768

Re: Anki 2.0.44 crashes. No addons installed.

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:59 pm

Couple of things.

1. According to the explanation Anki gives (https://apps.ankiweb.net/docs/beta.html)
the beta version uses the same scheduling, syncing and file format as Anki 2.0.x, so you can upgrade and downgrade at will.
Shouldn't this mean you won't lose tags, etc., if you upgrade?

2. If you want, you can email me a copy of your deck, or part of your deck, if that is possible, and I will try to run it on my machine. Though I am using Windows 10, and I am not by any means an Anki expert. If you want to try this, let me know and I will PM my email address to you.
1 x
Ah ! Le bon billet qu'a La Châtre !

User avatar
zenmonkey
Brown Belt
Posts: 1037
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:21 pm
Location: Germany and France
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - studying German (B2/C1), Hebrew (A0), Italian (A1), Ladino (A0), (Yiddish, Portuguese) ...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859
x 1998
Contact:

Re: Anki 2.0.44 crashes. No addons installed.

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:16 pm

Export the cards into an excel file, check that all the mp3 files are present and working. I suspect that one of the mp3 files is corrupt and cannot be read and that is what is crashing the system.

An absent mp3 file won't crash the app, but one that has issues during replay may.
2 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language, critique my posts, challenge my thoughts.
I am inconsistency incarnate.
Go study! Publisher of Syriac, Aramaic, Hebrew alphabet apps at http://alphabetsnow.zyntx.com

User avatar
astromule
Green Belt
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:51 am
Location: Argentina
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), French, Portuguese, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, German, Russian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=794&start=240
x 266

Re: Anki 2.0.44 crashes. No addons installed.

Postby astromule » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:33 pm

Thank you! Is there a way to correctly visualize the cards as CSV? Because I'm exporting them into .txt, opening them with LibreCalc and seeing something like this: <div>Vi har forsøgt at give dig (gí-dái) et solidt udgangspunkt (úd-gangs-pónkt)</div>[sound:08 (17).mp3]

EDIT 1: I have installed https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1589071665 It's better, but is there any way to filter in one column all the mp3 files? To see if one is missing or not? How can I detect if a file is corrupted?

EDIT 2: I went to "tools>check database; check media" and it seems that there were some audio files without a card. Perhaps that was causing the problem? I'll have to use it for a while to see.



zenmonkey wrote:Export the cards into an excel file, check that all the mp3 files are present and working. I suspect that one of the mp3 files is corrupt and cannot be read and that is what is crashing the system.

An absent mp3 file won't crash the app, but one that has issues during replay may.
Last edited by astromule on Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

User avatar
astromule
Green Belt
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:51 am
Location: Argentina
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), French, Portuguese, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, German, Russian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=794&start=240
x 266

Re: Anki 2.0.44 crashes. No addons installed.

Postby astromule » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:33 pm

Yes, gladly. Send me your email, if you want. :)

MorkTheFiddle wrote:Couple of things.

1. According to the explanation Anki gives (https://apps.ankiweb.net/docs/beta.html)
the beta version uses the same scheduling, syncing and file format as Anki 2.0.x, so you can upgrade and downgrade at will.
Shouldn't this mean you won't lose tags, etc., if you upgrade?

2. If you want, you can email me a copy of your deck, or part of your deck, if that is possible, and I will try to run it on my machine. Though I am using Windows 10, and I am not by any means an Anki expert. If you want to try this, let me know and I will PM my email address to you.
1 x

User avatar
astromule
Green Belt
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:51 am
Location: Argentina
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), French, Portuguese, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, German, Russian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=794&start=240
x 266

Re: Anki 2.0.44 crashes. No addons installed.

Postby astromule » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:35 pm

Sorry to hear that! In my case is not that bad. I usually lose around 5 cards when I'm creating them.

Xenops wrote:
astromule wrote:Hi! This is a technical problem regarding our beloved Anki. I'm creating simple cards:

sideA: text
sideB: text + audio from an mp3 file.

I'm synchronizing with AnkiWeb, I have Windows 8 and I don't have any addons installed. I'd love to give more information about the issue, but the windows only says "Anki has stopped". Currently I'm working with two decks that I made myself. Is there any way to search for bugs in the cards? In the Anki sub in Reddit the suggested me to create another profile, but wouldn't I lose my scheduled cards that way?

I've tried installing the 2.1 Beta version, but I lose my progress and tags with it.

Thank you very much in advance.


I'm sorry to read that! I lost about 200 cards last month, with a different issue. Currently my deck on my Mac is working okay.

You can create a new profile and not loose the old one: but the cards won't switch over. My computer automatically does backups of Anki (it might be just an Anki thing), so you might have backups some where in your computer?
0 x

Online
MorkTheFiddle
Blue Belt
Posts: 534
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:59 pm
Location: usa
Languages: English (N). Relearning German. Read (only) French and Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5680&p=70021#p70021
x 768

Re: Anki 2.0.44 crashes. No addons installed.

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:38 pm

astromule wrote:Yes, gladly. Send me your email, if you want. :)


I just sent it to you.
1 x
Ah ! Le bon billet qu'a La Châtre !

User avatar
astromule
Green Belt
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:51 am
Location: Argentina
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), French, Portuguese, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, German, Russian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=794&start=240
x 266

Re: Anki 2.0.44 crashes. No addons installed.

Postby astromule » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:13 am

After "tools>check database; check media" it seems that the crash issue while creating new cards with audio has disappeared. Thank you all for your help!
2 x


Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest