The blog is back, too (but it needs love!)

Discuss technical problems and features here
LinguaPony
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (Proficient), Italian (Intermediate), M. Chinese (Beginner), German (Just started), Yiddish (half-cooked A1, long since forgotten, but now queued for revival)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7160

Re: The blog is back, too (but it needs love!)

Postby LinguaPony » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:10 pm

Thanks. Hope all is good now.
0 x

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:12 am

I have made a pull request adding Iversen's Guide to Learning Languages. Let me know if I need to do anything else to get it accepted.
0 x

Querneus
Blue Belt

Postby Querneus » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:46 am

Hi. It has been three months since I made the pull-request to add Iversen's Guide to the blog part of the website, and it hasn't been incorporated yet. Is there anything I could do to facilitate the update?
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:14 am

Ser wrote:Hi. It has been three months since I made the pull-request to add Iversen's Guide to the blog part of the website, and it hasn't been incorporated yet. Is there anything I could do to facilitate the update?

I will see what I can do when I get back from Bratislava.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:03 pm

Are there any rules to keep on mind? Like the preferred length of the blog post, the proper way to submit it, etc?

I'm considering a few topics, in which I may have something to say:
-Studying medicine in more than one language, with advice applicable to other fields
-A subjective review of today's popular digital learning tools
-Using the classroom aimed courses in self-study
-Learning by procrastination from something else
-The long process of the reconstruction of your personality in a new language

What do you think? Anything you think might be interesting for the readers and worthy of a blog post?
6 x

Querneus
Blue Belt

Postby Querneus » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:48 pm

Cavesa wrote:Are there any rules to keep on mind? Like the preferred length of the blog post, the proper way to submit it, etc?

Don't worry about the submission process. Just use Microsoft Word, LibreOffice Writer, the forum itself (making a post) or whatever and one of us (likely me) will convert it to the proper format (Markdown). I don't know what rdearman will say about length, but I imagine something rather similar to currently existing posts.

-Studying medicine in more than one language, with advice applicable to other fields

What do you think? Anything you think might be interesting for the readers and worthy of a blog post?

I'd highly suggest starting with the one about medicine studies, because the topic is much less discussed than the others. I'd rank the post about structured procrastination last.
2 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:14 pm

Cavesa wrote:...I'm considering a few topics, in which I may have something to say:

As one who has written a couple of posts and as one of your fans here on the forum, I'd love to see some long-form posts from you. You are the top vote recipient on the forum for a reason!

I'd also suggest that you expand your possible topics to suggests to include a discussion of your process of learning French and English to C2 level. All of the above topics you've listed are intriguing and I'm sure would be interesting to the community as a whole.

My best advice is to wait to post your entry a few days after you've written it. It can be difficult to proofread one's own work. If I've given it a day or two and then go back and read it again, all kinds of errors and omissions will jump out at me. I didn't do this, and I cringe at the permanent mistakes in my two entries that I cannot edit now.

Looking forward to read what you have to say, Cavesa.
7 x

Querneus
Blue Belt

Postby Querneus » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:23 am

Hi again... I don't want to be much of a bother, but it's been eight months since I made the pull request to put Iversen's guide up on the blog...

If the problem is that the update pipe and its one-button solution don't work, maybe it'd be best to separate the components back to needing multiple steps? Professional one-button solutions are good when there's a DevOps watching over the pipe, since changes to any component (the PHP version, the Ruby version, any C library involved, the way the Amazon service configures the Nginx server or accepts updates...) can break it.

If the problem is that you aren't sure I wrote changes in the pull request correctly, we could get talking about testing it locally in your computer. I got the blog to work with a local Apache before when I tested it myself, I can figure it out again. :P
1 x

Querneus
Blue Belt

Postby Querneus » Mon May 11, 2020 7:36 pm

I have removed the pull request for Iversen's guide. I noticed months ago that it was made a sticky in the resources thread, and I suppose that's enough.

I still think it would be great to not use the single pipeline button and just have a multiple-step process to update the blog though. The problem is still lying there... Although I totally understand that either way (single button or process) it involves extra work for emk (obviously unpaid), and that it's also low priority because it's not like people are submitting blog posts anyway.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Mon May 11, 2020 8:35 pm

Ser wrote:I have removed the pull request for Iversen's guide. I noticed months ago that it was made a sticky in the resources thread, and I suppose that's enough.

I hadn't noticed that (because I always open the Active topics first), but I agree.
0 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”