tomgosse wrote:rdearman wrote:So when I log in I have to do this:
- Disapprove all the Viagra, pornography posts and other spam, then ban the account(s).
- Read and respond to all the PM's from all the people who are having a problem with the site, or another user, or some other thing which only an administrator can help them with.
- Then I go into all the foreign language forums and google translate all the posts which are in languages I can't read to make sure there isn't any racist/political/sexist/extremist posts.
- Then I start at the top of the forum and read each and every post checking for violations and/or commenting or adding to the discussion.
- Read each and every log (google translating where required) and sending a few PM's to people who are really pushing the mark. We are more forgiving in logs because it is your personal space, but still have to stop serious infractions. I have deleted posts in peoples logs, but haven't yet had to lock one.
- Read through all the official complaints to the moderation team to catch anything reported which I may have forgiven.
Wow! I had no idea what went into moderating this forum. My hat is off to you! Thank you for all the hard work you do to make this forum available to us.
Yes, it's a hell of a lot of work - thank you rdearman for your efforts.
I know how much time I spend just following the threads that interest me and quickly checking new threads if the title intrigues me - and chastise myself for not spending the time on actual language learning. Checking everything, dealing with issues, running posts through Google translate etc. adds up to a huge amount of work. It's amazing you get any language learning done!
I really appreciate that this forum is a nicer place to spend time than FB, Reddit and just about anydigitalwhere else - and that is because it's members are generally so civil, smart, fun and its mods so vigilant. Even if none of us is perfect, we come closer than many other places.