ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Re: sql error

Postby arthaey » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:16 am

Even a footer at the bottom of the forum pages showing "funded through the next 12 months" or something would probably motivate me to donate some funds, if a "Donate" button were also conveniently in said footer. :)
3 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:38 am

I've been getting the SQL error several times a day everyday lately. It usually clears up after a few minutes. I hope it isn't a sign of a bigger problem.
2 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:17 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:I've been getting the SQL error several times a day everyday lately. It usually clears up after a few minutes. I hope it isn't a sign of a bigger problem.

Same here for this morning (Sunday 1/15/17). I was paging through the S's for member names, jumping ahead several pages. I don't do that very often.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:47 pm

I'm consistently getting the "too many connections" error daily in a window starting at 1900 EST and lasting 7-10 minutes. I suspect it may have something to do with the midnight rollover if the server is on Zulu time.

(I know the specific time as it's usually the first chance I get to sit down and log in right after my son goes to bed).
1 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:53 pm

Systematiker wrote:I'm consistently getting the "too many connections" error daily in a window starting at 1900 EST and lasting 7-10 minutes. I suspect it may have something to do with the midnight rollover if the server is on Zulu time.

(I know the specific time as it's usually the first chance I get to sit down and log in right after my son goes to bed).

The same thing is happening to me. Not the worst thing in the world, but a minor annoyance.
1 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:37 am

Same for me - SQL errors pretty much several times a day now! Given that we currently have almost 4,400 members (and it's great to see our numbers on the rise by the way!), we really need suitable technical infrastructure to accommodate the subsequent larger numbers of simultaneous user connections. I don't know what "max_user_connections" is currently set to, but I'm sure it falls far below what is currently needed, and it's such a shame that members are locked out of the forum on a daily basis now. I can't deny that it worries me and reminds me of the problems we had with the old forum before it bit the dust.

I'm very grateful for all the hard work put in by our LLorg admin, moderators, and developers so far, but I think rdearman could do with a bit of financial support here to shoulder the costs of keeping this website running smoothly. The old HTLAL forum had a donations button, as well as premium membership for additional features or advertising for non-premium members (which I'm not a big fan of and would ideally like to steer clear of). I'm not saying we need to copy FX's way of doing things, but I do agree with arthaey and several others that we could at least have a donations button (perhaps with a transparent indication of how much money needs to be raised, and how much has been donated so far) to help gather financial support for maintaining a server-side upgrade for this forum. I think it could make a big difference to current members' confidence in and enjoyment of this unique forum, as well as encourage new members, and I'd be happy to give a regular donation, as I'm sure would others in our growing new community.
10 x

Voxel
Yellow Belt
Languages: French (N), English (I), Russian (?), Japanese (?)

Postby Voxel » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:05 am

Don't care about max_connections and max_user_connections, it's due to the maximum number of simultaneous connections to the database allowed by this free hosting.
1 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:23 pm

I'm consistently getting different types of errors mentioned by others here.
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:42 am

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@forum.language-learners.org to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I haven't had this error before. Today was the first time. Usually it's the SQL too many connections thing. I've had that one a couple of times this morning too, as well as the forum just being slow.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:11 pm

I'm investigating with emk moving the database and service on to another hosting platform.
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”