sql error

Discuss technical problems and features here
Tristano
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: Italian
Speaks: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
Understands but not yet speaks: Romanian
Studies: German
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5141

sql error

Postby Tristano » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:39 pm

Hi guys,
I'm getting this error often today:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: sql error

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:19 pm

It happened to me once or twice during the weekend but I just reloaded the page again, and then it worked fine.
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Tristano
Blue Belt
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff

Postby Tristano » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:24 am

Yes of course. Yesterday I had 5 minutes where I couldn't log in at all. Now I had it once again but I could login immediately after.
My suggestion is that these kind of issues are not overlooked as they are a turn off and in the extreme case becomes like the old HTLAL.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:38 pm

Tristano wrote:Yes of course. Yesterday I had 5 minutes where I couldn't log in at all. Now I had it once again but I could login immediately after.
My suggestion is that these kind of issues are not overlooked as they are a turn off and in the extreme case becomes like the old HTLAL.

The problem is this is shared hosting and in order to eliminate the problem I would have to get a dedicated server. This would mean I couldn't continue to fund the site out of my own pocket, so then we'd have to have some donation drive, or charging model, or advertising. So it is a bit of a trade off between keeping it free (to you) and getting more robust service. I will chase up the hosting company, and I will start looking again at alternatives for DB hosting. There isn't a quick fix for this, but I take your point.
6 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:50 pm

But the error that OP posted was a "No such file" and not a "Too many connections".

And even with the latter, I've read that sometimes it's actually the result of suboptimal code rather than there being too many visitors.
2 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Tristano
Blue Belt

Postby Tristano » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:49 am

rdearman wrote:The problem is this is shared hosting and in order to eliminate the problem I would have to get a dedicated server. This would mean I couldn't continue to fund the site out of my own pocket, so then we'd have to have some donation drive, or charging model, or advertising. So it is a bit of a trade off between keeping it free (to you) and getting more robust service. I will chase up the hosting company, and I will start looking again at alternatives for DB hosting. There isn't a quick fix for this, but I take your point.

I also take your point. I'm one of the users who won't mind to pay a subscription fee, but I can imagine that for many users isn't the same and it would result in a loss of users - of course an undesired situation.
For the remark over the poor quality software: probably it's a bug that affects this version where the error message doesn't match the actual event. That can possibly be solved with a new version of the platform. My report is anyway meant to notify an existing issue, as I didn't find other notifications.
1 x

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:26 am

I've also experienced several sql and "unable to connect to server" errors over the last few days. The last time I was unable to access the server was about 15 minutes ago (00:10 UTC/GMT, 14:10 my local time).

Do we have a Twitter feed or something similar just in case things go south for longer periods of time? I think it would be useful to have an emergency/downtime link posted somewhere on the forum to keep everyone informed and up to date in case of sudden technical issues or difficulties (apologies if this is already posted somewhere and I simply missed it).
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:40 am

We have a Facebook group and wikia. There's also a twitter and mailing list but I'm less confident about those.
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:16 pm

Just an FYI: I'm getting numerous sql errors and timeouts this morning (7a.m. EST). This has been going on for about two hours. And while it is very frustrating, I still want to thank rdearman for hosting this forum.
5 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

William Camden
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (fluent), Turkish (fluent), Russian (fluent), French (semi-fluent), Spanish (semi-fluent), am studying Polish, have some knowledge of it, also studying modern Greek, basic knowledge of Arabic (mostly MSA, some exposure to colloquial dialects), basic knowledge of Latin and Italian, beginner in Scottish Gaelic.

Postby William Camden » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:58 pm

I couldn't get into it yesterday and only tried again five minutes ago. If I had still not been able to get in, I would have sought a technical solution, like sacrificing a goat.
4 x
: 4321 / 4321Greek Memrise

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”