Fonts: required minima and desirable additions

Discuss technical problems and features here
kensor
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner)

Fonts: required minima and desirable additions

Postby kensor » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:54 pm

Hello:

Just after completing registration for this forum I noticed that some of the forum interface features have hexadecimal numbers rather than button faces. What fonts are required to be installed to use this site? What additional fonts, i.e., for various languages discussed, are desirable for optimal site use? (My PC has a fresh installation of Linux Mint 18.) Thanks.

Kensor
1 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Re: Fonts: required minima and desirable additions

Postby tomgosse » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:47 pm

Welcome to the forum,

What internet browser are you using? I use Firefox, and on the forum my language is "british english" and the board style is "prosilver". I have no problems with button faces.

Best of luck,
Tom
0 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

kensor
White Belt

Postby kensor » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:09 pm

tomgosse wrote:Welcome to the forum,

What internet browser are you using? I use Firefox, and on the forum my language is "british english" and the board style is "prosilver". I have no problems with button faces.

Best of luck,
Tom

Thanks for the clues, Tom. I have Firefox version 48 for Linux Mint here, and with that I went to the Board settings in the Console to see the default interface choice as we_universal. I changed that to prosilver, and that not only changed the interface substantially, it also cleared up the hexadecimal button faces.

Just for fun, I changed the setting back to we_universal, and the problem returned. Then I changed the setting to the third possibility, and that made the problem worse, with many more interface elements not properly presented. So, I changed the setting to prosilver, and that solved my interface problem, but that setting leaves unresolved bugs for the other two interface choices. Thanks again.

Kensor
1 x

Doitsujin
Green Belt
Languages: German (N)

Postby Doitsujin » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:18 pm

kensor wrote:Just after completing registration for this forum I noticed that some of the forum interface features have hexadecimal numbers rather than button faces. What fonts are required to be installed to use this site? What additional fonts, i.e., for various languages discussed, are desirable for optimal site use? (My PC has a fresh installation of Linux Mint 18.)

I tested all 3 board styles on my Linux machine with Firefox and didn't experience any buttons issues.
Most likely your installed icon theme is missing some icons.
Can you give examples of buttons that don't work and/or attach a screenshot that illustrates your problem?

Also, it couldn't hurt to install some general purpose icon themes.
0 x

kensor
White Belt

Postby kensor » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:39 pm

Doitsujin wrote:I tested all 3 board styles on my Linux machine with Firefox and didn't experience any buttons issues.
Most likely your installed icon theme is missing some icons.
Can you give examples of buttons that don't work and/or attach a screenshot that illustrates your problem?

Also, it couldn't hurt to install some general purpose icon themes.

After I logged into the forum this morning, and tested all three board styles again, I am happy to report that all three of them appear to be presenting themselves without problems. Exactly why they are fine this morning, but were ill-behaved last Thursday, I am not able to say. No font or icon software has been added here, though I did locate the screenshot application, and I have made more than three posts to the forum. Whatever bit-wise indigestion (e.g., styles files transfers) has been relieved either here or on the server has saved me from doing a screen capture and sending it to cover many megabytes of forum-connected storage devices, only to be sensibly deleted for something more productive. That's good news, of course.

My original question may require more detailed investigation than is a priority at the moment. The machine is working well; let's learn languages.

Kensor
1 x

Doitsujin
Green Belt
Languages: German (N)

Postby Doitsujin » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:21 pm

kensor wrote:My original question may require more detailed investigation than is a priority at the moment. The machine is working well; let's learn languages.
If you're still interested in font recommendations, I'd recommend that you install Noto fonts for the languages that you're interested in.
The Microsoft Core fonts for the Web also cover many Unicode ranges. For example, the Arial web font edition contains glyphs for most languages that use the Latin, Cyrilic, Greek, Hebrew and Arabic alphabets.
1 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”